Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GOP activists: Why isn't Romney ahead?

questionmark

WASHINGTON — Republican activists are incredulous: Why can’t Republican Mitt Romney seem to break open a tight race with President Barack Obama given the nation’s sluggish economy and conservative enthusiasm to beat the Democrat?

“He ought to be killing Obama, and he’s clearly not doing that,” said 32-year-old R.J. Robinson, one of the thousands of activists attending the annual Values Voters Summit this weekend. “He should be doing better.”

Added Mike Garner, a 27-year-old hawking “Reagan was right” buttons at the meeting: “If Romney loses this election, the party really needs to do some soul-searching.”

Read more

Could that have something to do with the fact that Romney was the most likely of the least likely possibilities to beat Obama?

• Like 1

The Republican Party of today is just too conservative. The country has moved on since the 1950's.

• Like 3

The Republican Party of today is just too conservative. The country has moved on since the 1950's.

It is not conservative, it is reactionary. That is not quite the same.

The republican party has moved so far to the right they think they are left. They would cut off their own nose to spite their face. I think the party needs to do some soul searching anyway as to why they would want someone like Romney to represent them. The man really messed up blaming Obama for the attacks instead of the people that actually did attack us. Plus anyone that thinks $250,000 a year is middle income is out of touch and doesn't have a clue what this country needs.

I think Bush takes the honors of turning this country into a place the founding fathers wouldn't recognize.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

To answer the question...Why can't Romney break ahead in the polls?...:

The answer is thus: The polls are crap! They are manufactured by the news media which is tilted so far left as to be nothing more than a tool of the Democrat Machine. They always have been, they always will be. The polls are designed to strengthen Obama and weaken the Republican base. These polls mean absolutely NOTHING! Romeny will win in a landslide in November and then we can put this pathetic administration behind us for another 12 or 16 years like we did with Carter. Speaking of Carter...Good God! Is this like the sequel to the same bad movie or what? Deja vu all over again!

• Like 2

I thought recent polls of "Most Likely Voters" showed that the support was 48% Romney, 49% Obama. The polls that only are registered voters shows Obama as ahead currently. But, as has been seen countless times, these polls are only somewhat good at predicting what will happen in November. John McCain actually pulled ahead in late 2008 in most polls (Supposedly due to his percieved better ability at foreign affairs), but then when the stock market crashed Obama surged since he was percieved as being better at domestic economics. Even as late as Halloween no one will know what way the election will swing.

I still stick to the idea that if the economy is still running slow, Obama will be out, and Romney in. Could be really close either way.

The answer is thus: The polls are crap! They are manufactured by the news media which is tilted so far left as to be nothing more than a tool of the Democrat Machine. They always have been, they always will be. The polls are designed to strengthen Obama and weaken the Republican base. These polls mean absolutely NOTHING! Romeny will win in a landslide in November and then we can put this pathetic administration behind us for another 12 or 16 years like we did with Carter. Speaking of Carter...Good God! Is this like the sequel to the same bad movie or what? Deja vu all over again!

Why does this remind of a similar post you made in 2008, or was it AROCES?

Polls do mean little however Romney a right wing morman stands no chance. Not that I like it but Obama is a shoe in. I will bet 100 UM dollars on it. The right or as we say repubs have nothing to bring to the plate and Romney proves that.

+

Oh the memories xoxo

Edited by The Silver Thong

I still stick to the idea that if the economy is still running slow, Obama will be out, and Romney in. Could be really close either way.

The economy is not so relevant as medicare among the likely voters, and in that chapter Romney and Ryan are loosing big.

The economy is not so relevant as medicare among the likely voters, and in that chapter Romney and Ryan are loosing big.

Obama with a 20 point spread percentage wise is my guess.

Must have been AROCES, I don't remember ever thinking that McCain was even going to win, much less in a landslide!

The Silver Thong: Polls do mean little however Romney a right wing morman stands no chance. Not that I like it but Obama is a shoe in. I will bet 100 UM dollars on it. The right or as we say repubs have nothing to bring to the plate and Romney proves that.

I will give you a pass because, as a Canadian, you have no pulse apparently on the economy of the USA. In a word...it sucks...in another word...everyone (execpt the base Democrats) blame Obama. I will make a bet with you as well. I don't bet money...but, I will wager this: if Obama wins, before I sell my computer and my house, I will post in very large print the following statement: The Silver Thong was right and I was WRONG! And, if Romney wins...by a landslide...you do the same! eh?

Yes, the GOP needs to do some soul searching and Romney with this MSM does seem to be a moron, but even with that, he should be killing Obama. Perhaps he is and we'll never know it until Nov 7?? So what's the appeal of this Nicolae Carpathian Pied Piper?

Could be that the GOP seem oddly insane this election and seem to be messing up a lot more than the Dems. Plus you have the Republican base not really liking Romney to begin with. Forget where I saw it but there are some people who believe Obama is a secret Muslim but will still be voting for him because they don't want Romney in office. :P

Could be that the GOP seem oddly insane this election and seem to be messing up a lot more than the Dems. Plus you have the Republican base not really liking Romney to begin with. Forget where I saw it but there are some people who believe Obama is a secret Muslim but will still be voting for him because they don't want Romney in office. :P

The problem with the Republicans right now is that they act like three different parties, the reactionaries, the conservative and the tea party. Among all three they create a multiple voiced cacophony that makes it very hard for the non-partisan voter to discern what they are really up to, Romney and Ryann do nothing to clear that up. That is why there was no convention boost in Romney's favor after the RNC.

• Like 1

I am really outraged that the election is sooooo close in the polls. If Romney had a lead of 54% to 46% for Obama, it would be called a blowout, a real sweep for republicans. Liberals would be deflated and an extra 10% will not even vote with the election already determined.

This is the reality that the liberal pollsters want to avoid. The polls are rigged, skewed, manipulated and designed to give Obama a very slight lead. If Obama was a great president, the polls now should show him up 60% to 40%. People with IQ's under 70 will continue to follow the hand that feeds them. The mind is a terrible thing to waste!

You would like to believe there was no Romney boost after the convention. You must rely on liberal polls to form opinions....such a waste.

Edited by Pyridium

I am really outraged that the election is sooooo close in the polls. If Romney had a lead of 54% to 46% for Obama, it would be called a blowout, a real sweep for republicans. Liberals would be deflated and an extra 10% will not even vote with the election already determined.

This is the reality that the liberal pollsters want to avoid. The polls are rigged, skewed, manipulated and designed to give Obama a very slight lead. If Obama was a great president, the polls now should show him up 60% to 40%. People with IQ's under 70 will continue to follow the hand that feeds them. The mind is a terrible thing to waste!

You would like to believe there was no Romney boost after the convention. You must rely on liberal polls to form opinions....such a waste.

It should be noted as well that 47% of Americans receive government assistance in the form of a check and do not even pay taxes.

Nonetheless...the liberal ideology is a MINORITY in the United States. It doesn't seem that way because of the extreme media bias. I maintain that Romney wins in a landslide. It would not surprise me if Romney wins all 50 states...and I don't give a damn what the liberal media says to the contrary.

Your on Joc. Not saying I really like Obama but I think Americans still blame the gop for the mess the US is in. They havnt gotten over the Bush era yet.

Most Americans had jobs and were paying their mortgages during the Bush era. Unemployment was in the 4 and 5 percent range for the majority of his tenor.

Who was it that said...uh...It's the economy stupid! ? Well, It's still the economy stupid! (I am not calling you stupid). This economy was caused by fear that Obama would do exactly what he has done...and because of that fear, a lot of people pulled out of the stock market...as a result, a lot of corporations had to lay off a lot of people, and this all happened prior to the election. As soon as the election was a done deal...this fear of Obamanomics went on steroids. ....and all of Obama's horses and all of Obama's men could not and can not and never will put this economy back together again.

Most Americans had jobs and were paying their mortgages during the Bush era. Unemployment was in the 4 and 5 percent range for the majority of his tenor.

Who was it that said...uh...It's the economy stupid! ? Well, It's still the economy stupid! (I am not calling you stupid). This economy was caused by fear that Obama would do exactly what he has done...and because of that fear, a lot of people pulled out of the stock market...as a result, a lot of corporations had to lay off a lot of people, and this all happened prior to the election. As soon as the election was a done deal...this fear of Obamanomics went on steroids. ....and all of Obama's horses and all of Obama's men could not and can not and never will put this economy back together again.

So you forget who started bailing out the rich and creating war for profit not protection.

• Like 1

So you forget who started bailing out the rich and creating war for profit not protection.

One of a few disagreements I had with President Bush was TARP. But it wasn't 'bailing out the rich'...and all war is for profit. But what does that have to do with eight years of prosperity and low unemployment rates? Do you seriously not see the reality of the timeline of Obama and the failing economy? Obama caused the stock market crash...actually he didn't...better said, Fear caused the stock market crash...Fear of Obama.

One of a few disagreements I had with President Bush was TARP. But it wasn't 'bailing out the rich'...and all war is for profit. But what does that have to do with eight years of prosperity and low unemployment rates? Do you seriously not see the reality of the timeline of Obama and the failing economy? Obama caused the stock market crash...actually he didn't...better said, Fear caused the stock market crash...Fear of Obama.

One wins and one losses. The only way Mitt will win is if he shuts up. Everyday he putts a nail in his coffin. I`m not betting on policy nor the down grade of another possible downgrade of the US credit structure. I`m betting on a winner slash none winner. you bet Mitt I bet Obama. Prosperity for who Joc. I could care less who wins as your polical enviroment is so messed up it doesn freakin matter. Obama to win like a poodle does best in show.

• Like 1

One wins and one losses. The only way Mitt will win is if he shuts up. Everyday he putts a nail in his coffin. I`m not betting on policy nor the down grade of another possible downgrade of the US credit structure. I`m betting on a winner slash none winner. you bet Mitt I bet Obama. Prosperity for who Joc. I could care less who wins as your polical enviroment is so messed up it doesn freakin matter. Obama to win like a poodle does best in show.

That is far too simplistic SilverThong. Prosperity for who? Well...me for one...and every other American who has seen their earnings plummet and inflation through the roof...and most important of all...the repeal of ObamaCare...Now, I understand this is a topic that you will not be fond of, because Canada already has Nationalized Healthcare...but it needs to be said that the programs that are in Canada are NOT what ObamaCare is. This legislation, and the re-election of Obama will be a death-nell to America's Freedoms and Ultimately the demise of the Freedoms of Canada and the rest of the Free World. But I digress. Bush said in his book that he went ahead with TARP because all of his advisors were telling him the same thing, that, if he didn't, what would happen would be as bad or worse than the Great Depression. Well, Fear on Bush' part and especially Fear of what Obama would do with the Economy led to the worst Economics in the USA since the Great Depression. It isn't a dog show...it just isn't. It is about jobs, and mortgages, and Freedom!

• Like 1

I agree, the polls are a type of propaganda...it all depends what organization conducts them and who broadcasts their results. In all my years of life (quite a few) I have never been "polled" for anything. I often wonder just "who are these average people polled?" I tend to take these things with a shovel full of salt. They do not influence my thinking or opinions, but I guess their are some really weak minded people out there that may sway like a reed in the wind...

I think Romney is unpopular (polls or not) because of a couple of reasons. He hasn't stated a clear path or intent. He keeps saying "Once I get elected" or "trust me". Anyone with the capacity of thought knows this is not how you sway people...you put your plan out there and let the people decide if they like it or not. His reluctance to do so...(again, imho) means he knows his "plans" will not be very popular and he might well lose based on them. He has also shown time and time again that he is completely out of touch with the challenges facing everyday people. I think this bothers people.

In the past, all the Presidents were wealthy...this is not a secret...but they exhibited some sort of "empathy" toward the bulk of the people that make up this country. Though they never actually "experienced" the challenges, the acknowledged them and at least attempted to understand them.

I agree, the polls are a type of propaganda...it all depends what organization conducts them and who broadcasts their results. In all my years of life (quite a few) I have never been "polled" for anything. I often wonder just "who are these average people polled?" I tend to take these things with a shovel full of salt. They do not influence my thinking or opinions, but I guess their are some really weak minded people out there that may sway like a reed in the wind...

I think Romney is unpopular (polls or not) because of a couple of reasons. He hasn't stated a clear path or intent. He keeps saying "Once I get elected" or "trust me". Anyone with the capacity of thought knows this is not how you sway people...you put your plan out there and let the people decide if they like it or not. His reluctance to do so...(again, imho) means he knows his "plans" will not be very popular and he might well lose based on them. He has also shown time and time again that he is completely out of touch with the challenges facing everyday people. I think this bothers people.

In the past, all the Presidents were wealthy...this is not a secret...but they exhibited some sort of "empathy" toward the bulk of the people that make up this country. Though they never actually "experienced" the challenges, the acknowledged them and at least attempted to understand them.

Actually, both Romney and Ryan have spent an incredible amount of time on the campaign trail detailing their plan for economic recovery. You haven't heard it though. You haven't heard it because the main stream media doesn't report it. Let me just be very candid okay...if one iisn't listening to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Mark Levin, and if one is not reading the news on thedrudgereport.com...then one is woefully uninformed about most everything. The media is nothing more than a propoganda machine of the Democrat Party. That's it. You can't believe ANYTHING they say about ANYTHING! Consider lately how wall to wall coverage of the US Embassy attacks have focused on a stupid movie....and today the truth comes out...there wasn't even ANY demonstration or protest in Libya...many witnesses who were there say that suddenly hundreds of heavily armed assailants appeared at both gates. Consider also the non-stop verbage about how Obama 'inherited' this economy from Bush...when the truth is he CREATED it all by himself.

You know what's odd?

In Australia, a political party would LOVE to be polling as poorly as the Republicans, they revel in the "under dog" status, everyone jockeys in an election to be the one "being bullied by the more powerful party" it's almost hilarious to watch them invent slights and playing hurt by polls that say "noone trusts any of you" and twisting that to say "but they don't like us most of all".