Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can Aliens Find Us?

Lionel

It’s a legend about as popular, and generally believed, as the reputed presence of alligators in the sewers of New York; namely, that the only human-made edifice that astronauts can see from space is the Great Wall of China.

Well, forget it. The Great Wall is about 15 feet wide, which even from as little as 200 miles up (Shuttle cruising altitude) subtends an angle of only about one-twentieth of a minute of arc. The human eye can see detail down to one minute of arc, which is obviously far too poor for Wall watching.

Still, with a really nice pair of binoculars, the Wall (not to mention less romantic constructions, such as interstate highways) does become visible from orbit. Any curious aliens that made it to within a few hundred miles of Earth would have no trouble seeing the artifacts of our civilization. They would know, without doubt, that technologically competent beings roamed our world.

But how visible are we to aliens that are farther away? In the early nineteenth century, the Austrian physicist Joseph von Littrow is said to have suggested digging giant geometric shapes in the Sahara Desert as signaling devices. The excavations would be filled with water and kerosene, and set afire at night to get the attention of our Martian brethren. The desert figures were to be roughly 20 miles across. So to make out these patterns from the Red Planet would require a 10-meter Keck-size telescope perched on top of, say, Olympus Mons (where the effects of atmospheric "seeing" would be minimal). If sophisticated Martians existed, they could presumably build such an instrument and admire von Littrow’s flaming trench work.

This is just one of many early attempts to flirt with nearby aliens, but it boils down to this: if intelligent beings were hanging out just about anywhere in the solar system, it would be a piece of technological cake for them to detect modern Homo sapiens, Saharan trenches or no.

OK. But what about aliens that inhabit other worlds, around other stars? How easy would it be for them to learn of our existence? If they’ve already built planet-finding telescopes, comparable to, or slightly better than, the one that NASA will be hefting into orbit in the next dozen years, then they could detect the Earth. With substantially larger telescopes, they could find our planet from hundreds or even thousands of light-years’ distance. Not only that, but they could also spectroscopically sample the light reflected from our atmosphere, and learn that it has large quantities of oxygen and methane, tell-tale markers of biology.

Full Story

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Engulf

• Lionel

• Cufflink

• Ashigaru

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things really. There is evidence (although debatable evidence) to suggest they already have found us.

And secondly, we've been sending out radio signals since early last century. Too late to worry about it now.

1.They have found us.

2.They have made contact with us.

3.They will conquer us someday. grin2.gifdontgetit.gifsad.gifcrying.gif

There are theories that we have been attacked by aliens, just not at a large scale. They were mostly little skirmishes. The "Grays" are supposable hostile towards humans and are the ones that do most of the abducting. The "grays" enemies, and allies to us, are the Rep(something or other).

I got a report on some of the things, just tell me your e-mail and I'll send one to you.

The "Grays" are supposable hostile towards humans and are the ones that do most of the abducting. The "grays" enemies, and allies to us, are the Rep(something or other).

It's really a long story about the EBE's.But the Sauroids (Reptilians),it is believed that the EBE's (Greys) are under them.The Sauroids are the ones who're interested in Earth,not sure about the EBEs' intentions though.Whether they're both interested in this place or not,I still think that thier goal would still be to conquer this planet and us. sad.gif

The universe is such a diverse place, nearly anything could be possible.

Is it possible, that aliens have a society with just as many problems as ours?

I also think, like was pointed out, we have been yelling out into space for years now, and we have never discovered anything to prove another form of intelligent life.

Or maybe they just don't use radio waves???

alien.gif

The universe is such a diverse place, nearly anything could be possible.

Is it possible, that aliens have a society with just as many problems as ours?

I also think, like was pointed out, we have been yelling out into space for years now, and we have never discovered anything to prove another form of intelligent life.

Or maybe they just don't use radio waves???

alien.gif

I just saw a program in Discovery last few days ago.Scientists did detected evidence of alien entities out there thru radio waves.They've tried catching up to it but failed in doing so.

I'm not sure about this but a few sources say that they've discovered hell more than just that one but cover-ups,the usual.They've even believed to have made contact with the Aliens and that's how the EBE's actually 'invaded' our planet.Read more about the MJ-12 to find out more. thumbsup.gif