Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abbas orders end to anti-Israeli attacks

DC09

RAMALLAH, West Bank - The Palestinian Cabinet on Monday asked the security forces to prevent attacks against Israel and ordered an investigation into a shooting at a Gaza crossing that killed six Israeli civilians last week, ministers said.

"A decision was taken that we will handle our obligation to stop violence against Israelis anywhere," said Cabinet minister Saeb Erect. He did not provide details.

The new Palestinian leader, Mahmoud Abbas, is under growing pressure to take action against militants following last week's attack at the Karni crossing. Israel suspended ties with Abbas and U.SA. Secretary of State Colin Powell urged Abbas in a phone call Sunday to rein in the armed groups.

The security forces in Gaza have been instructed to investigate the Garni shooting, said Erect said. Israeli officials have said they have indications that the attackers left from a Palestinian Authority base.

Three militant groups, including Hames and the Al Aquas Martyrs' Brigades with ties to Abbas' ruling Fata movement, carried out the attack.

Hames spokesman Musher al-Maser said the group would not comply with the new orders. "We consider resistance as a red line, and no one is allowed to cross this line," al-Maser said.

Abbas was traveling to Gaza on Tuesday to begin negotiations with the militants on a cease-fire deal. The militants have said they would consider halting attacks if Israel stops military operations.

Erect said the Palestinians hope Israel will resume contacts soon.

Article

Perhaps it is the beginning of a new era?

We can only hope.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• DC09

• Mad Manfred

• pallidin

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope that Abbas has some pull amongst the palestinians and they will be following his lead. I doubt it, but it would be nice if things were to start to get under control there...

He should outlaw the terrorist gangs all together.

He is also ignoring the fact that his own Fatah Party has a terrorist arm - the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.

He is also ignoring the fact that his own Fatah Party has a terrorist arm - the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.

453227[/snapback]

Not to be too incredibly flip, but the name just makes me chuckle. It makes me think of the "Crack Suicide Squad" in Monty Python's The Life of Brian. When told to attack; they run forward, pull their vests open, and then stab themselves in the heart...

I doubt they had that in mind when they came up with that name; they were probably aiming for instilling fear and such, but it just kind of falls short...

He should outlaw the terrorist gangs all together.

453227[/snapback]

Yeah, and if I remember correctly from the original CNN report, he wants that Brigade to dissolve it's terrorist functions and instead become part of the Palestinian security service.

To me, that's like asking the murderous faction groups in Iraq to be a part of the government.

Oh, I`m sure that all these terrorist orgainisations are just going to disappear and stop what their doing because they are told to and may have action taken against them!