Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Is PMS a Myth?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 23 October 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I am not myself with PMS.. I just clicked  like on your post..

lol

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 23 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#17    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

I read the quote above, and it doesn't say PMS is a myth, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.  It says it is both physiologically and culturally dependent... the behavior, which I think is true of all things.

People often act or react in a way that is deemed appropriate -- good or bad -- by their culture. The old cliched comparison of western women screaming curses and hating people during birth and tribal woman simply giving birth quietly then going back to their farming or whatever.

Embrace the impossible.

#18    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

I get major cravings and don't piss me off when I get PMS.  My daughter would know to back off when I had PMS.  Now that she personally experiences it, well, all I can say is that she is more understanding towards me! :-*

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#19    Hippycrite

Hippycrite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

• even the President of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked-Bob Dylan

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

It is very real. Like "The Shining", but real. The HORROR!

#20    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

How ******* dare these ******* people claim PMS is a myth.....sorry I lost myself for a moment then, must be the time of the month.

Posted Image

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Personally ,I have lived my life ,mostly free of any PMS issues .
As I got older ,30s,I noticed I was much more easily prone to crying jags,just prior .
It took me a while to put the two together .

If say ,I was watching a movie where a bug got stepped on ,oh yeah,waterworks .
As for the rest of symptomology ,nuthin .

However,as an acupuncturist ,I see patients that conventional medicine has said : nothing to do ,take pain killers,sleep ,go to bed,take an anti anxiety pill .

So acupuncturists and herbalists ,see a lot of PMS . These women do not imagine this,and having it belittled ,as if she is just a hysterical maven ,is discouraging ,so they come to us  .
It's debilitating and off the chart pain for some

Headaches ,body pains,sleeplessness ,swellings ,mood swings .A lot . I assume some make it more than it is ,but not the women I see .It's awful . I'm always grateful I never had anything like it  .

I would say menopause is the flip side of the same coin .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 23 October 2012 - 08:43 PM.

Miss me?

#22    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I get a bit more irritable, but not extreme blow up style irritable, just snappish and all if something gets under my skin. Ordinarily I can shrug things off or find a reason to keep smiling.

Edited by Hasina, 23 October 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#23    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,803 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 23 October 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

You mean like a culture where women are not allowed to be themselves, and fear of speaking out  in case they are punished ?

I think the article's title was meant to be an attention-getter.

I can't even understand the study's percentage math nor understand the results of their study, but two things stood out for me as I stated in my OP:

I believe there are a lot of things that are "cultural" but not in the way studies like to conclude or misrepresent them. Something not "heard of" or expressed or noted by physicians in a culture does not mean it doesn't exist.

And for a feminist to say PMS is some excuse hatched by women to be a tough B in the workplace, I find highly offensive.

My cyclical Bness disappeared with each pregnancy and reappeared when my cycle did and disappeared with menopause. So that tells me something physical is going on.

#24    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 23 October 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

It was no excuse, it is for real. It's  not like anybody taught the "bad behavior" to my girlfriend at the time. And you, you don't even have a gender or age posted so how you can comment on this I don't know. For all I know, you're a bot, why am I still talking to you?

Women are not like men.

If you go and work in an office full of women you'll discover gossiping, lying, back stabbing, bad mouthing, spreading rumours, obnoxious behaviour, aggression and all kinds of cheap manipulation tricks being used.

Women are the weaker sex so instead of direct confrontation they choose the underhand methods to get what they want. When you pull a woman over her bad behaviour you'll either get the crocodile tears (which are quite frankly pathetic) or the excuses such as pms.

Its easy to see through such instances because her bad behaviour would have led to her gaining something. I've seen it all you wont convince me pms is real.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 23 October 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#25    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 23 October 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Women are not like men.

If you go and work in an office full of women you'll discover gossiping, lying, back stabbing, bad mouthing, spreading rumours, obnoxious behaviour, aggression and all kinds of cheap manipulation tricks being used.

Women are the weaker sex so instead of direct confrontation they choose the underhand methods to get what they want. When you pull a woman over her bad behaviour you'll either get the crocodile tears (which are quite frankly pathetic) or the excuses such as pms.

Its easy to see through such instances because her bad behaviour would have led to her gaining something. I've seen it all you wont convince me pms is real.
Say whaaaaaat?!

Posted Image

~MEH~

#26    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,413 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

I think that there is a clear cultural bias in the industrialized world when it comes to PMS. I don't think that is debatable.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#27    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 23 October 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Women are not like men.

I am so in love.. this man is full of.........wisdom :wub:

Please feed more of your great knowledge and facts...  Move to men.. what are they like ?  ( Please god  let him say they are all like him  )

I could give you all the attention you crave  morning , noon and night... you are just so  amazing...  Why cant all guys be like you?

I clicked like again...lol  and I will start the - Mr Right Wing is fan dabby dosey club..  

View PostHasina, on 23 October 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Say whaaaaaat?!

He's great  isn't he?  He wants the attention and I am going to give it to him..   I so wish I had his picture

Man this thing I am going through  will last a few days...it's brilliant

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 23 October 2012 - 10:00 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#28    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 23 October 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

I support gay marriage  :)

Oh great, more fuel for my lover  Mr Lover Lover.. hmmmmm  

This is going to get so exciting now  lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#29    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,803 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

I think that there is a clear cultural bias in the industrialized world when it comes to PMS. I don't think that is debatable.

Could you expand on that, thx.

#30    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,413 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 23 October 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Could you expand on that, thx.

Just that in industrialized cultures women are expected to be crabby and lounge around and be miserable (make me miserable), etc, if/when they have PMS. It seems more of an entitlement in our culture.

If you look at more ancestral cultures, women are the ones that do almost everything, from foraging to cooking, cleaning, etc. while the men mainly just hunt. Day to day life doesn't change no matter how crappy they feel. If you don't go out and gather, people don't eat. So they still tend to their daily duties, even while menstruating.

Obviously, one way is not superior to the other, they are just clear cultural differences.

Edit: If you'll excuse me, I have to get Hammy the Flying Squirrel to this party....

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 23 October 2012 - 10:31 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users