Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The big climate-change myth

questionmark

Bjørn Lomborg, an adjunct professor at the Copenhagen Business School, directs the Copenhagen Consensus Center. He is the author of “The Skeptical Environmentalist,” “Cool It” and, most recently, “How Much Have Global Problems Cost the World? A Scorecard From 1900 to 2050.”

One of the most persistent claims in the climate debate is that global warming leads to more extreme weather. Green groups and even such respectable outlets as Scientific American declare that “extreme weather is a product of climate change.”

And the meme seems irresistible as a political shortcut to action. President Obama has explicitly linked a warming climate to “more extreme droughts, floods, wildfires and hurricanes.” The White House warned this summer of “increasingly frequent and severe extreme weather events that come with climate change.”

Yet this is not supported by science. “General statements about extremes are almost nowhere to be found in the literature but seem to abound in the popular media,” climate scientist Gavin Schmidt of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies said last month. “It’s this popular perception that global warming means all extremes have to increase all the time, even though if anyone thinks about that for 10 seconds they realize that’s nonsense.”

Read more

Extract :-

"A new paper in the journal Nature shows on a crucial measure that there is no increase in extremes. Looking at temperature variability as one kind of extreme weather, the authors document that extreme weather globally has been constant since 1960. Moreover, the researchers found that extreme weather as temperature variability will decline in the future with higher levels of carbon dioxide. They laconically conclude: “Our findings contradict the view that a warming world will automatically be one of more overall climatic variation.”

It is understandable that a lot of well-meaning people, wanting stronger action on global warming, have tried to use the meme of extreme weather to draw attention. But alarmism and panic are rarely the best way to achieve good policies. The argument that global warming generally creates more extreme weather needs to be retired."

Interesting read.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

From the article:

"Global warming will also cause more heavy rain; this is clearly more extreme. But warming will also help alleviate water scarcity — less extreme. About 1.2 billion fewer people are expected to live with water scarcity by the end of the century because of increased precipitation."

So basically if you live in an area which will flood then move to an area which will not.

I do not doubt any of this, but what will happen today that could not be sorted out years ago in areas of flooding and drought? In other words: were do the people go?

Its not quite outright reassuring especially if you are areas like Colorado, or even North Devon.

What I am hoping will come out of this will be something looked at by the property developers in the future (and now) on where they should and should not be building.

• Like 1

There are clear trends in specific geographical regions showing increases in extreme weather events, and in this particular case a global mean isn't the most informative statistic.

Bjorn Lomborg is a very unreliable commentator on environmental issues.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

From the article:

"Global warming will also cause more heavy rain; this is clearly more extreme. But warming will also help alleviate water scarcity — less extreme. About 1.2 billion fewer people are expected to live with water scarcity by the end of the century because of increased precipitation."

So basically if you live in an area which will flood then move to an area which will not.

I do not doubt any of this, but what will happen today that could not be sorted out years ago in areas of flooding and drought? In other words: were do the people go?

Its not quite outright reassuring especially if you are areas like Colorado, or even North Devon.

What I am hoping will come out of this will be something looked at by the property developers in the future (and now) on where they should and should not be building.

Congratulations, you are the first to read and understand enough of the article to see that it may not be so well researched as Prof(ast). Lomborg pretends.

• Like 2

What I find disturbing about the global warming issue and the controversy around it is that the controversy, scientific opinions, etc. have become somewhat of a distraction from other important environmental issues, such as air & water pollution, burning coal, environmental destruction from resource extraction, water management, renewable energy, over-population, etc. Whether or not there is global warming occurring because of pollution, breathing air full of particulates is a valid health concern, as is drinking contaminated ground water, or polluting rivers, streams & oceans that are crucial components of earth's natural systems. So maybe air pollution doesn't cause global warming, that doesn't mean we can dismiss it as a serious environmental/health issue.

• Like 3

If global warming is a distraction from other environmental issues, it should and needs to be. I don't think however that global warming and other such issues are so easily separated. Cleaning up pollution and measures to slow the emission of greenhouse gases go hand in hand with environmental measures like forest preservation, intelligent land use, stopping the emissions of pollutants, and so on.

• Like 1

This looks like cherry picking? What about the sun was measured and what is an "Arctic surface temperature anomaly? We will have to see what others on this board say.

This looks like cherry picking? What about the sun was measured and what is an "Arctic surface temperature anomaly? We will have to see what others on this board say.

Ofcourse I picked it up. :w00t: You dont expect that I upload books on UM. Its iratioanl expectation. Same as new trend "cherry picking".

Now when everybody seen it, its not cool anymore Frankie.

Big Bad Voodoo

Ofcourse I picked it up. :w00t: You dont expect that I upload books on UM. Its iratioanl expectation. Same as new trend "cherry picking".

Now when everybody seen it, its not cool anymore Frankie.

Big Bad Voodoo

If its cherry picking its cherry picking. I'm not worried about cool, I am about graphs that misrepresent things by omitting what has really been graphed. I already know enough about the subject to recognize such propaganda.
  • Like 1

If its cherry picking its cherry picking. I'm not worried about cool, I am about graphs that misrepresent things by omitting what has really been graphed. I already know enough about the subject to recognize such propaganda.

Ofcourse I cherry picking. Otherwise we can disuss about vanilla sugar, butterflies and flowers too. But to me time is factor. I dont have time for "Once upon a time...". Obviously you have.

Propaganda is that pollution dont have nothing with global warming.

Otherwise USA would sign in Kyoto.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

Kyoto is an irrelevant distraction. You disappoint me a lot.

You disapoint me long time ago by claims that we were ents, T-rex and platypus in previous lifes.

Ent.jpg

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo
  • Like 1

Now you are lying. Where did I make such an assertion?

Wait, dont you believe in previous lifes as animals, humans, plants, angels?

Big Bad Voodoo

• Like 1

I think there may be rebirth, but only humans to humans, and I am really agnostic even there.

Oh you stop being Buddhist. Thats fine.

Big Bad Voodoo

• Like 1

I'm a Buddhist. You obviously know very little about Buddhism, among other things. I'm also a Communist, and I bet that causes you to draw all sorts of wrong conclusions about me too. I'm also an atheist but not a physicalist -- you probably don't understand that statement at all.

I'm a Buddhist. You obviously know very little about Buddhism, among other things. I'm also a Communist, and I bet that causes you to draw all sorts of wrong conclusions about me too. I'm also an atheist but not a physicalist -- you probably don't understand that statement at all.

I understand Buddhism more then you which I proove it in previous threads. I know who are you. Mumbo jumbo Buddhist.

Cherry picking Buddhist. Just took what fits to your story. Its okay. Jews, Muslims, Christhians do that for centuries. It was a time that eastern religion follow the steps of west religions.I support you. In west world when you claim that you were Napoleon in previous life you end up in mental institution to recovery.

Big Bad Voodoo

Now that is just flat-out insulting -- to me and to all religion and even to Napoleon. The difference is that all Buddhists choose what they find good. That is one of the main points of the tradition and is actively encouraged. I guess that's why I said you know very little about it if you don't even know that fundamental point.

Now that is just flat-out insulting -- to me and to all religion and even to Napoleon. The difference is that all Buddhists choose what they find good. That is one of the main points of the tradition and is actively encouraged. I guess that's why I said you know very little about it if you don't even know that fundamental point.

No its not. Buddha saw his previous lifes in his vision. Also I didnt insult religions, neither you, neither Napoleon. Repeat: Napoleon.

Its fact. If you desire I can explain it to you. Sure Jews also have freedom in some extened. If they dont like what one Rabbi teach they move to other.

But core of believe is same. Same in Buddhism. You can call yourself Buddhist. But then again Hitler called himself Christhian but he was all but just not Christhian.

Big Bad Voodoo

You are sad. A Buddhist directly tells you something about the religious he grew up in and you assert otherwise. That takes a level of arrogance I find it hard to believe.

The core of belief in Buddhism probably includes rebirth, and it is almost universal. However, the Buddha himself is reported to have said that if it should turn out that there is no rebirth, his prescription for a happy life would be good anyway.

• Like 1

You are sad. A Buddhist directly tells you something about the religious he grew up in and you assert otherwise. That takes a level of arrogance I find it hard to believe.

The core of belief in Buddhism probably includes rebirth, and it is almost universal. However, the Buddha himself is reported to have said that if it should turn out that there is no rebirth, his prescription for a happy life would be good anyway.

HA!

Thank you, I have no further questions.

Its not arrogance. Its called being smart and clever.

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: Hitler also grew up in Christhianity but he didnt understood concept well.

Same as Pol Pot was communist, as you, and he was Buddhist monk...but he didnt understand concept well. And become only worst leader then Hitler.

Most evil historic person.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo