Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How do skeptics explain Qi Gong

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#46    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,128 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 August 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

Naive? That's funny. Believing money has nothing to do with this is more than naive.
I never said anything of the sort.

#47    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hmmm... I wonder, how believers would explain "master's" failure:

Reality always wins (and pretty quickly) against fantasies.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#48    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

It's a joke. Baseless claims. Whenever they try to prove it to skeptics they fail and make excuses.

Posted Image

#49    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,209 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 20 August 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Poor guy. Spent to many years with his students acting that crap out, he actually believed it. You could tell its been a long time since he's been hit.... Mabey never.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#50    Radian

Radian

Καρδιά ενός &a

• 8,002 posts

• Καρδιά ενός δράκου

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

I watched my mother die of breast cancer. She fought it for years. She went thru the radiation and chemo over and over. On top of a billion meds she took daily that made her even more sick-- I asked her before she passed what would she do different if she could- she said she would not have subjected her self to the rad/chemo but would have set back and smoked MJ to get thru it all.
The thing is she didnt die from the cancer itself, she died from the side effects from the chemo and rad. -
When you are subjecting yourself to the poison, really? and expect to be "cured." How does that work.
It's true. There is too much money to be lost and basically this country would shut down if there were a cure.  I believe whole heartedly that there is and the GUBMENT knows this. It's pathetic.

Posted Image <-- my attack bee

#51    jsowersby

jsowersby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• "And as he wages his battle, knowing that his will is impeccable, a warrior laughs and laughs." Don Juan Matus

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

I agree.
I've also seen things that deserve further 'scientific' investigation.
Most of the stuff that gets discussed around here I wouldn't waste a penny on investigating, but the various forms of 'chi medicine' ARE really interesting. I'd like to see them properly investigated and subjected to scientific analysis.

She was awesome! Very pretty too!

#52    jsowersby

jsowersby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• "And as he wages his battle, knowing that his will is impeccable, a warrior laughs and laughs." Don Juan Matus

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 20 August 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

I've seen that video. I believe the term is called "group think" when a group of people believe something that they are for what ever reasons afraid to challenge. The video doesn't disprove the existence of qi, only that the man in the video can't take a punch and his students are influenced by the power suggestion.

#53    jsowersby

jsowersby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 20 August 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

*snip*

Since you've repeatedly ignored the trials and requirements drugs must pass, there is no use continuing this discussion with someone who blames drugs for human error.

I'll give you some info you don't seem to know. The FDA is in charge of approving use of new drugs. Members of FDA own stock in the same pharmaceutical companies that are submitting drugs for approval. These "scientific" trials you're talking about come second to profits. These drugs are tested on lab animals and then people to see if they are "safe" meaning it doesn't kill them outright. Long term studies on drug safety are conducted by prescribing drugs to consumers. When people DIE from complications that the medications are causing it is NOT HUMAN ERROR. The error that is happening is that these drugs cure NOTHING!!!! They are meant to be prescribed for the rest of a person's life in order to maximize profit for the drug company, for members of he FDA, for prescribers, and at the patient's expense.

#54    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostShankpin, on 20 August 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

I watched my mother die of breast cancer. She fought it for years. She went thru the radiation and chemo over and over. On top of a billion meds she took daily that made her even more sick-- I asked her before she passed what would she do different if she could- she said she would not have subjected her self to the rad/chemo but would have set back and smoked MJ to get thru it all.
The thing is she didnt die from the cancer itself, she died from the side effects from the chemo and rad. -
When you are subjecting yourself to the poison, really? and expect to be "cured." How does that work.
It's true. There is too much money to be lost and basically this country would shut down if there were a cure.  I believe whole heartedly that there is and the GUBMENT knows this. It's pathetic.
We all sorry for your loss... Thats terrible to loose loved ones...( two family members of mine suffered it.) But chemo (that nasty stuff ) brought life to the third relative (breast cancer). She still in recover, and feels fine (as you can do it tell by her description), and she looks pretty fine (as far as I can tell you)...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#55    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

View Postjsowersby, on 20 August 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

I've seen that video. I believe the term is called "group think" when a group of people believe something that they are for what ever reasons afraid to challenge. The video doesn't disprove the existence of qi, only that the man in the video can't take a punch and his students are influenced by the power suggestion.
Seriously? Blink of an eye, and master down? OK, how many more qi/chi/kiai/whatever masters have to be punched-down until they realize "OOps, I'm screwed... Maybe I'll have  to look for work elsewhere"?

#56    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,209 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 20 August 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

We all sorry for your loss... Thats terrible to loose loved ones...( two family members of mine suffered it.) But chemo (that nasty stuff ) brought life to the third relative (breast cancer). She still in recover, and feels fine (as you can do it tell by her description), and she looks pretty fine (as far as I can tell you)...
But what if survival rates were better without the side effects?

Edited by Seeker79, 20 August 2012 - 10:05 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#57    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

View Postjsowersby, on 17 August 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

There are numerous videos showing people using qi. I myself have learned to use it to heal minor aches and pains. I hear from skeptics that it is not real or hoaxed somehow. The thermal image in this video is undeniable.

Undeniable? Dude....my cousin works in Hollywood. Special effects. On movies we've all seen. He's been able to make videos like yours since he was 16. Back in the freakin 60s.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#58    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Poor guy. Spent to many years with his students acting that crap out, he actually believed it. You could tell its been a long time since he's been hit.... Mabey never.
Waiiiit a sec... You don't believe in powerful chi? What about flow? From somewhere to somewhere?

#59    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,061 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 August 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

But what if survival rates were better without the side effects?
Let me guess... Child mortality beyond your guess? How much chances of survival you would have in, say, 18th century? How many of UM'ers would be posting here without the help of modern medicine, huh? Can you look into statistics, say, of India 50 years ago, and nowadays?  Where there those magic cures back then? What about China? What was death rate 50 years ago, and what nowodays?
Main question remains - what the chances of you remaining alive now, if not modern medicine?

#60    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,209 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

View Postbmk1245, on 20 August 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

Let me guess... Child mortality beyond your guess? How much chances of survival you would have in, say, 18th century? How many of UM'ers would be posting here without the help of modern medicine, huh? Can you look into statistics, say, of India 50 years ago, and nowadays?  Where there those magic cures back then? What about China? What was death rate 50 years ago, and what nowodays?
Main question remains - what the chances of you remaining alive now, if not modern medicine?
Modern medacine has nothing to do with modern control and corruption. What is happening is holding modern medicine back in favour of profits and survival of trillion dollar institutions that are obsolete. Treating medicine like the an iPad is simply unethical.

Edited by Seeker79, 21 August 2012 - 04:48 AM.

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users