Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Muslim Call to Prayer Law in Michigan

DC09

A petition drive began Friday to stop a new law that will allow mosques in Hamtramck to broadcast the Muslim call to prayer over loudspeakers.

Organizers say they are certain they'll get the required 552 signatures to force the City Council to reverse its April 27 decision.

"There are some people, including Muslims, who don't want the call to prayer," said resident Robert Zwolak, 63.

"The ballot box is the best place for people to voice their opinion."

If the campaign gets enough signatures and the council refuses to reverse its decision, the ordinance would be suspended automatically. It would then become a ballot issue, according to the city charter.

But for now, the ordinance, which goes into effect May 26, has created tension mostly between the city's Muslims and Polish Catholics. It will allow the city's mosques to say the call to prayer in Arabic five times a day.

Zwolak, one of the petition campaign's organizers, said it is not anti-Muslim, but an attempt to bring peace back to the city.

"I hope we can succeed in calming people's feelings down," he said.

City Councilman Shahab Ahmed said the petition campaign is an effort to revive what was becoming a nonissue.

"Now, it's going to divide the community more," he said. "How is it possible to stop someone from calling to prayer? We can stop the noise -- not the religion."

The petition asks the Hamtramck City Council to repeal the amendment to the city's noise ordinance.

"It's not like I'm doing anything against them," Zwolak said of the Muslim community. "It's noise. That's where the issue is.

The controversy has attracted nationwide attention.

Franciszek Adamczyk, the counsel general of Poland who is based in Chicago, and Kareem Irfan, chairman of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago, are coming to the city Wednesday for a fund-raiser to improve Pope Park and to try to mend the rift between the two communities.

Thaddeus Radzilowski, head of the Piast Institute, a Detroit-based Polish-American think tank, said it is a critical time for them to come to Hamtramck.

"They want to come in as soon as possible because they feel this is a time to start building bridges," he said.

Article

Allah is great, Allah is great

I bear witness there is no deity but Allah

I bear witness that Muhammad (pbuh) is the Messenger of Allah

Hurry to the prayer

Hurry to the prayer

Hurry to the success

Hurry to the success

There is no deity but Allah

Little Green Footballs

Imagine hearing that five-times-a-day, everyday. ph34r.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aslan

• stillcrazy

• Anirbas

• DC09

Top Posters In This Topic

um - if they bear no witness to any other diety than Allah they why is Muhammed mentioned - that is making him diety like - bah wahtever !

if they want to pray 5 times a day more power to them but they sure wouldn't like it if i broadcasted my Cristian prayers in their ears now would they further more it is a disturbance of the peace - this is America where we have several religions - not one like other countires they need to realize that! Mark my words - the Anti-christ will be Muslim!

Mark my words - the Anti-christ will be Muslim!

Well, there are 6666 verses in the Koran...

whistling2.gif

wink2.gif

I could care less how people pray. If they want to worship 57' chevy hubcaps, that is their choice. But I should not be forced to listen to their call to prayer if it is not my choosen belief. What it comes down to, is political correctness and trying to prove we are not racist, to the max.

If a church wanted to broadcast a prayer, even a short one, five times a day, seven days a week, you could bet your sweet bippie that the ACLU would be all over the case.

Where are the lawyers from the ACLU at in this case? Defending the muslim right to broadcast the prayer. (Friend of the commision letter, something like friend of the court)

Now if they allow christian and jewish and 57' chevy hubcap worshipers the same amount of time, and the same number of times, I have no complaint.

Remember, Chrome loves you.

There is nothing wrong with being called to prayer, but I wouldn't want it broadcast either, there is too much noise already

figures, a minority forcing its way upon a majority instead

I don't think it's a minority forcing it's will upon a community, but more like a double edge sword trying to cut both ways. If the city counsel hadn't approved the call to prayer, they would be accused of being racist and anti-muslim. If they allow it, as they have, then its political correctness gone awry.

But it is unlikely that I'll ever have to deal with it. By the time it comes to my little neck of the world, mankind will be history, or at least I will.

Mark my words - the Anti-christ will be Muslim

What exactly was the point of that comment? lol

I mean if a muslim came on here and stated some sort of comment about christ you would be ragin.

You know...I don't see why they need the prayer calling at all...I mean...don't Muslims in the western world have these wonderful little inventions that allows us to tell when certain times are near, that have long been known...as watches blink.gif

Personally, now that I don't live in Turkey, I genuinely miss the call to prayer. I heard it 5 times a day every day for the best part of eight years, and I always found it quite appealing.

lol that is easily one of the most offensive things i've heard in weeks

Actually it is. I never spotted that. There seems little point in removing it now, since so many people have responded to it.

Lets here no more about it, and I'll send anirbas a little IM.

Personally, now that I don't live in Turkey, I genuinely miss the call to prayer. I heard it 5 times a day every day for the best part of eight years, and I always found it quite appealing.

I would guess that if you are in a predominately country it would seem the norm. But a little town in Michigan is a little strange.

lol that is easily one of the most offensive things i've heard in weeks

The anti-christ is suppose to profess being a christian. But Aslan is right, lets hear of it no more.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

I am praying that Americans will finally had it with political correctness and tell it as it is!

And what exactly do you believe IT is?

You all get your say and I don't get mine?! That is real fair!

Yes my comment was offensive - but I am tired of trying to please everyone so tongue.gif on that.

I love how anyother religion than Christianity can say or do or express their beliefs on this webpage but the one moment you profess to be Christian or you have a theory or opinion that relates to traditional Christianityyou are chastized by everyone - and this time even by a freakin mod!

Sorry if you didn't like my comment - I got my big girl panties on - if you have something to say - send me a pm.

I'm sorry Anirbas. Are you ill?

You all get your say and I don't get mine?! That is real fair!

It's a free and open forum. If you have a comment to make, come and make it. There was no conspiracy to prevent you from posting in this thread, and nor could there be, so please don't bleat on about fairness, you had the same chance as everybody else.

I love how anyother religion than Christianity can say or do or express their beliefs on this webpage but the one moment you profess to be Christian or you have a theory or opinion that relates to traditional Christianityyou are chastized by everyone - and this time even by a freakin mod!

I'm still pinching myself here to make sure I'm not dreaming. The reason you were chastized - even by a 'freakin mod', was because you expressed an opinion that nearly everybody found offensive.

It has nothing to do with 'traditional Christianity', it has to do with basic good manners, tact and civility.

If you believe that people taking exception to you posting 'the antichrist will be muslim' in a public forum is evidence of their hatred of Christianity, then I'm afraid you're nuts.