Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain topples US as most powerful nation

TheLastLazyGun

lol @ most 'soft-powerful'. Most 'poofy' it used to be called.

'Poofy' = Do as I say or I'll rearrange the flowers in your window-box and criticize your curtains.

Now that's blatant disregard for human rights! ^_^

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

Just a curious question ......Why are you still flying our flag in the corner of yours ?

History mostly. Our nation was populated by English, Welsh, Scots and Irish, but also a lot of Italians, Greeks, Germans, Polish, French and Dutch. Regardless of background we are all Australian, and I believe within thirty years we'll be a Republic.

Great Britain can be great in the future, but it needs to forget about the past and focus on the future.

History mostly. Our nation was populated by English, Welsh, Scots and Irish, but also a lot of Italians, Greeks, Germans, Polish, French and Dutch. Regardless of background we are all Australian, and I believe within thirty years we'll be a Republic.

Great Britain can be great in the future, but it needs to forget about the past and focus on the future.

We could be great again very quickly.

All it takes is for the Monarch to dissolve the parliments of Austrailia, Canada and New Zealand. Thats half the empire put back together. You know you want it too as in your heart you know you're British.

Funnily enough I really dont see why the UK, Austrailia, Canada, New Zealand and the US cant sort out their problems. The Queen has little influence these days so its not like they can be taxed without representation. The empire of Great Britain and the United States has a nice ring to it.

We could be great again very quickly.

All it takes is for the Monarch to dissolve the parliments of Austrailia, Canada and New Zealand. Thats half the empire put back together. You know you want it too as in your heart you know you're British.

Funnily enough I really dont see why the UK, Austrailia, Canada, New Zealand and the US cant sort out their problems. The Queen has little influence these days so its not like they can be taxed without representation. The empire of Great Britain and the United States has a nice ring to it.

And the monarch is going to force the dissolution of the parliament how?

Because if the Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians show her majesty the finger there is hardly anything she can do about it. Nor the rest of the "British Empire" for the matter.

in your dreams.

I'm not dreaming it. I distinctly remember opening this thread and posting the relevant article.

And the monarch is going to force the dissolution of the parliament how?

As Head of State, Queen Elizabeth II has the power to dissolve the parliaments of all of the 16 countries over which she reigns: Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

And there is a precedent for this. The Queen dissolved Australia's parliament in 1975.

More recently, the Queen dissolved Canada's parliament THREE times between 2008 and last year.

Because if the Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians show her majesty the finger there is hardly anything she can do about it.

But they HAVEN'T "shown her the finger", have they? The last time I checked they all have Queen Elizabeth II as their Head of State. So she has the power to dissolve those countries' parliaments.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Much as i love my Country,this one i find hard to believe.

You love it so much that you live in Canada.

We dont hate ourselves, but these so called surveys really get me annoyed. We used to be a foremost World Power, but successive weak and inept Govt's have reduced us to a 3rd rate power.They sold off nearly all our heavy industry, ie:- shipbuilding,steel industry, the clothing industry including footwear.Merchant Navy,and a whole lot more.We cannot hope to think that we rank alongside the big Countries like the U.S.A etc, we are letting any old Tom,Dick or Harry come in and buy allsorts of items,including land, businesses, and even Castles, so thinking we match the big guys is complete fantasy,heck we couldnt even back up the Falklands if another rumble started down there without help from our allies, we are also Chopping our armed forces and conning other Countries into still thinking that we are great, I'm sick as a chocolate frog about these so called survey statements thought up by IDIOTS

Why are you mentioning Britain's military?

If you'd actually read the whole article you will find that Britain is the world's most powerful country in terms of SOFT power, which does not include military might.

I'm not dreaming it. I distinctly remember opening this thread and posting the relevant article.

That was a great reply! I would've said something sarcastic but the honest approach works better... :)

My wife is Canadian,thats why i live in Canada.The British Empire is Dead and belongs to another time.The Canadian Government is slowly removing the Queen from it's bank notes.

Try living in the 21st Century...

Edited by shaddow134

Why are you mentioning Britain's military?

If you'd actually read the whole article you will find that Britain is the world's most powerful country in terms of SOFT power, which does not include military might.

The Survey is ridiculous.I lost Interest in the first two lines.

As Head of State, Queen Elizabeth II has the power to dissolve the parliaments of all of the 16 countries over which she reigns: Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

And there is a precedent for this. The Queen dissolved Australia's parliament in 1975.

More recently, the Queen dissolved Canada's parliament THREE times between 2008 and last year.

This isn't strictly true. The Queen doesn't make these decisions unilaterally and, in the case of Canada, it was as a result of a request from the Prime Minister. In fact, she doesn't make these decisions at all. She may have an opinion but that's as far as it goes. This 'power' is purely ceremonial. If she tried it, she would quickly find herself ousted as Head of State of all the countries you mention.

Shadow134 is right. This is the 21st century. You should pay us a visit sometime.

But they HAVEN'T "shown her the finger", have they? The last time I checked they all have Queen Elizabeth II as their Head of State. So she has the power to dissolve those countries' parliaments.

Hi LLG, he's also missing one crucial point.

Not only is the Queen their Head of State but their armed forces answer to her not their Parliments. An example is Austrailias army - http://en.wikipedia....nk_and_insignia

Wiki quite correctly lists their allegiance to the Queen not Austrailia or the Austrailian Parliment.

Finally most Austrailias, as the others, dont want to be seperated from us even if questionmark does.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

This isn't strictly true. The Queen doesn't make these decisions unilaterally and, in the case of Canada, it was as a result of a request from the Prime Minister. In fact, she doesn't make these decisions at all. She may have an opinion but that's as far as it goes. This 'power' is purely ceremonial. If she tried it, she would quickly find herself ousted as Head of State of all the countries you mention.

Shadow134 is right. This is the 21st century. You should pay us a visit sometime.

Not true.

There is a difference between not normally using her powers and not having them. If you go on the HM website it tells you she retains full executive power.

Not true.

There is a difference between not normally using her powers and not having them. If you go on the HM website it tells you she retains full executive power.

No. It's purely symbolic. Strictly speaking, yes she does have that power. But if she ever tried to use it she would find herself the Head of fewer states than she was. Therefore, she will never use it. The overall effect is the same. Having a power you can never use, is the equivalent of not having it in the first place.

• Like 2

actually i don't care one way or the other i came in to see all the americans peekin and freekin

Edited by JGirl

The empire of Great Britain and the United States has a nice ring to it.

Oh certainly, just come over here and take over, not a problem.

Although the U.K. would make a very nice 51st state. Islands like Hawaii, just a little colder, with no volcanos.

Oh certainly, just come over here and take over, not a problem.

Although the U.K. would make a very nice 51st state. Islands like Hawaii, just a little colder, with no volcanos.

Nah, the Hawaiians are more productive. Would just have to spend more money on subsidies.

Nah, the Hawaiians are more productive. Would just have to spend more money on subsidies.

with a keen eye i've notice Q, you have changed your location - from Greece to now both Greece and the USA haling from Iowa, if im correct? Things hotting up just a little to much in Greece? 'if you cant stand the heat get outta the kitchen. :whistle:

Hawaii has a nice flag though dont you think. very fitting. :clap:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flag+of+hawaii&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Dpb&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=u1-uUPXyNoiR0QXYn4HICQ&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=596

Firstly: I do not belive that the UK is Top in terms of Soft Power. It is such an intangible concept as to be irrelevant.

Secondly, the Quenn can only dissolve a Parliament in any Nation if requested to do so by an outgoing Parliament (when National Elections are called). She has no Independent power to do so...

with a keen eye i've notice Q, you have changed your location - from Greece to now both Greece and the USA haling from Iowa, if im correct? Things hotting up just a little to much in Greece? 'if you cant stand the heat get outta the kitchen. :whistle:

Hawaii has a nice flag though dont you think. very fitting. :clap:https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=596

More probably to stop people thinking that he is Grecian born and bred, because some folk here disregard anyone of Greek nationality as a free-loader and whinger!!

Xenophobes just love tagging someone with Nationalistic traits, that in themselves are stereotypically incorrect. Its just like people who, insensically, applaud any representation of the Union Jack, whilst ignoring that it is just an historical context.

Edited by keithisco

More probably to stop people thinking that he is Grecian born and bred, because some folk here disregard anyone of Greek nationality as a free-loader and whinger!!

Xenophobes just love tagging someone with Nationalistic traits, that in themselves are stereotypically incorrect. Its just like people who, insensically, applaud any representation of the Union Jack, whilst ignoring that it is just an historical context.

Not quite, there was a change in my relocation plans and because I am going to keep the farm on the island, for the next 6 months or so I'll be sometimes in Greece and sometimes in Des Moines. Just can't be bothered in changing the location every time.

Edited by questionmark

Well unknown to you i know were Q was from in my early days on here i private messaged him a few times and in passing got to know where he was from. epic fail again, Keith your losing your touch me old mucker. you use to shoot from the hip but more recently its coming from the lip. :passifier:

Edited by stevewinn

Sorry, but it seems kind of hard to believe, that the US' power and influence have decreased so much, that went lower than the UK's. Who made this survey up? Probably an Englishman, who want the British Empire back!! lol :P