Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Australian Gun Ban Video

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

View Postand then, on 30 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

It wasn't intended as a remonstrance, just an observation.  At one point an Australian citizen had a right to own firearms and now they no longer have such a right, is this not correct?  Can you, if you were so minded today, go and purchase a firearm?

That's a good point about the freedom, two different ways to look at it.

But today, like Wearer of Hats said, it's not impossible to purchase a gun, just not easy. It would involve a lot of paperwork, a lot of verification by many groups, constant checkups and possibly even training would have to take place. Plus all the secure lockups you would need to be installed in your home.

They didn't totally ban guns, just made ownership extremely stricter. And since then, crime rates have dropped dramatically, not just gun crimes.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#17    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

It wasn't intended as a remonstrance, just an observation.  At one point an Australian citizen had a right to own firearms and now they no longer have such a right, is this not correct?  Can you, if you were so minded today, go and purchase a firearm?

I could. That of course, granted that it was an air rifle.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,768 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Could you? Or would you have to go through background checks and so forth?
We have background checks etc. We restrict the type of guns allowed to be brought. But as I said, if I wanted to, I could. I even know where I'd go to get a weapon.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#19    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,164 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

Of course we can have firearms , I have 3 of them in my gun safe at home :gun:

The only thing we can't do is own semi-automatic , pump action weapons or pistols ( pistols you can have if you have a special licence , security guard , target shooting etc) .

We can't just go into the gun shop and walk out with a gun in the same day , you need to first have a shooters licence and then apply for a permit for the specific gun you want to buy . It's been a while but from memory the permit takes a few weeks to a month to come back , a pain in the ass but thats the law !

Hope this clears it up

TiP.

The people who post in the fun and games section have a serious problem with gerbils, this includes and is not limited to Helen, JC and Oversword - they need to seek professional help stat.

#20    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,851 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostMichaelW, on 30 January 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

I could. That of course, granted that it was an air rifle.
An air rifle isnn't a firearm lol   There's no fire.  Just a lot of air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#21    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,957 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

For the record I have no problem with gun owners being required to take a safety course as long as it isn't prohibitively expensive.  Nor do I have a problem with making hi capacity magazines no longer legally available - or so expensive that they are almost impossible to come by.  If a citizen is in a firefight and ten rounds at a time isn't enough then they probably are done anyway.  Some compromise is necessary.  But banning a weapon that is responsible for the tiniest fraction of killings while leaving the major offenders (handguns) untouched is outrageous and is purely a sop to the crowd that is scared of their own shadow about the handling and use of something that is essentially a tool.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#22    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,768 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

View Postand then, on 31 January 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

For the record I have no problem with gun owners being required to take a safety course as long as it isn't prohibitively expensive.  Nor do I have a problem with making hi capacity magazines no longer legally available - or so expensive that they are almost impossible to come by.  If a citizen is in a firefight and ten rounds at a time isn't enough then they probably are done anyway.  Some compromise is necessary.  But banning a weapon that is responsible for the tiniest fraction of killings while leaving the major offenders (handguns) untouched is outrageous and is purely a sop to the crowd that is scared of their own shadow about the handling and use of something that is essentially a tool.
It's a band-aid solution that's worked incredibly well....
The people agitating for gun control got something.
The PM at the time looked like he was doing something about crime.
The criminals made a few bucks on gun buy-backs.
People who didn't own a gun didn't have to worry about it.
The Police looked pro-active about policing for once.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#23    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PostYamato, on 31 January 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

An air rifle isnn't a firearm lol   There's no fire.  Just a lot of air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun

Just as lethal as an ordinary firearm.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#24    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,103 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

At the time of when this all happend I had a semi auto and a pump action.. ok i was a bit miffed that I was loosing my hunting guns.. but in all reality.. that was just me being lazy :) .. I just had to end up digging out the old bolt action and the under and over ..

dont have my guns anymore.. got to the point where it was dead money.. lost interest in shooting so sold them to my nephew..

Have had a few run ins with NRA supporters on a couple of forums re the aussie attitude towards guns.. and the misconceptions that gun related crime is on the rise.. which it isnt :D and most aussies really dont give a rats about owning guns..

if someone breaks into your house with a gun.. and you have one.. its not going to make a difference on how powerful it is.. how many bullets it will fire.. it will come down to who pulls the trigger first.. personally.. the advocates I know for the return of the semi auto's and like the NRA really are not that good of shooter :) if you cant hit it the first time.. then you may as well give up shooting.. because your still going to waste more bullets each time you try to hit what your shooting at afterwards..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users