Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How Close Is Doomsday?

doomsday

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

There's always been good business predicting the end of the world.

List of predictions of the end of the World - http://rationalwiki....nd_of_the_World

Needless to say, every end of the World predictions through out history have been wrong.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#62    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 07 April 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

I think we are close to the end of civilization as we now know it. With exponential population growth, global warming, threats of nuclear war, it can't go on like this forever, can it? One day something's got to give. The human race will have to re-adjust itself to a new environment. A new political and social environment.

I'd give it another hundred years.

Simply the end of cheap oil means that our societies will have to change profoundly, and not in a comfortable way. It is not the end of mankind, but all of our societies will change massively, most of all the advanced ones.
For peasants in third world countries, the change will not be so dramatic.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users