Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dozing bank clerk deposits £190 million

Still Waters

A German bank clerk who fell asleep with his finger on a computer keyboard turned a 62.40 euro transfer from a pensioner's account into a 222,222,222.22 euro (£190 million) transaction.

The clerk had a doze while holding down the "2" key. The error was spotted by a colleague during an internal systems check and corrected.

http://www.telegraph...rs-account.html

Imagine if the pensioner had been allowed to keep that money! :w00t:

• Like 1

Checking 800 documents a day I can see how it would be missed. Wonder if the clerk was fired.

Checking 800 documents a day I can see how it would be missed. Wonder if the clerk was fired.

To the bolded part, I hope not. I had $100,000 deposited in error into my account once, I went into an instant panic when I saw my new balance and called the bank straight away - I did not like the idea of being the recipient of illegal gains, I even wondered if someone was using my account to launder their own dirty money and that they would eventually take it back out along with all my own funds. Most people are honest and everybody makes mistakes, this probably happens quite alot although maybe not quite so spectacularly.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1