Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PETA Condemns Pokemon 'Animal Abuse'

Hasina

Heavens! Yet another person with a zoology degree ........ this thread is awash with them. Trouble is, not everything connected with a qualification in zoology is for the benefit of animals, is it? Just because you are interested in animals doesn't automatically mean that you have concern for them or consideration for them. And your qualification doesn't qualify you to speak knowledgably about the effect of animal cruelty on humans, children in particular.

Thats why I did the masters ;) Studying zoology gave me the basis of the biology and evolution of the animals, it helps to know what drives the animal, why it behaves in such a way and how human influence affects it. The masters gave me the opportunity to delve deeper into the mechanisms of behaviour and the welfare issues faced by various domesticated and wild species. Ususally when you go to University to study them you'd want more than just an interest in animals to devote 4+ years of your life .

Now i'm carrying out research into the development of techniques into the diagnosis of illness in livestock making a difference to their welfare.....not carrying out petty campains against video games or putting up monuments to dead animals where those alive could do with the investment.

Im just saying having spent the majority of my life exposed to pokemon like millons of other kids has left me as well adjusted and horrified at animal cruelty as the next guy.

• Like 1

Im just saying having spent the majority of my life exposed to pokemon like millons of other kids has left me as well adjusted and horrified at animal cruelty as the next guy.

Good. Except that not all the 'next guys' are horrified by animal cruelty. But I get your point.

35yrs ago I was involved in this type of study ....... and that was exactly the conclusion they came to then: culling, or even eliminating badgers altogether will not eradicate TB. The only way to eliminate TB is to take proper care of cattle, to keep cattle healthy and in a natural(to them) environment. All this has been done before. The result is known, the trouble is, it doesn't suit those who want to make money from cattle, so off we go again on a pointless round of surveying and research.

The best way to stop the TB would be to vaccinate although this is expensive. Cattle kept on the grass as with the majority of stock in the UK and Ireland (as natural as yo can get) will still get TB and then get culled. Its easy to point the finger at the farmer but imo it doesnt suit the public who want cheap food. You want higher welfare? Pay more, then farmers could afford the vaccines and reduce TB.

• Like 1

The best way to stop the TB would be to vaccinate although this is expensive. Cattle kept on the grass as with the majority of stock in the UK and Ireland (as natural as yo can get) will still get TB and then get culled. Its easy to point the finger at the farmer but imo it doesnt suit the public who want cheap food. You want higher welfare? Pay more, then farmers could afford the vaccines and reduce TB.

I agree with you. If farm animals had to be raised humanely, if the public en masse were made aware of what this entailed and why, some might even become vegetarian or even *gasp* vegan!

Oh god are they nuts.

PETA=Protesting Everything Too Anally. :w00t:

• Like 1

If Pokemon were real animals, keeping them inside of a magical ball would be abuse. Pokemon aren't real so there is no abuse. PETA needs some more monkeys using makeup, they are just grasping at straws now.

• Like 4

PETA gravitates to pop culture like vagabonds gravitate to the busy downtown with their hands out preying on guilt-ridden yuppies. Why Pokemon? Why stand at the entrance to the freeway with your "help homeless veteran" sign instead of the deserted country back road? They follow the trail of money. Get a job, you reprobates!

• Like 1

If Pokemon were real animals, keeping them inside of a magical ball would be abuse. Pokemon aren't real so there is no abuse. PETA needs some more monkeys using makeup, they are just grasping at straws now.

But the ball is magical... Kinda like Jeannie's bottle on "I Dream of Jeannie"... Doesn't PETA know anything?... :D

• Like 1

Do they condemn Mickey Mouse as well? In the animation Steamboat Willie, Mickey Mouse is seen committing multiple acts of animal abuse.

It's ironic because Mickey Mouse is an animal.

Angry Birds lol

• Like 3

the peta r retarded, must of ran out of real animals so now theyve went to save made up ones, wow, must be nice to have money to waste on saving pokemon

This reminds me of Marge Simpson complaining about the violence from Itchy & Scratchy lol .. :P

• Like 1

How absurd... oy... my main problem with Pokemon has historically been that it gives an idea of "evolution" which is inaccurate; more akin to metamorphosis. But, from what my grandchildren have shown me of the whole concept, it certainly doesn't have anything which could be compared to animal abuse. From what I understand, Pokemon are willing combatants and make strong bonds with their human owners. That's how my grandchildren seem to have described it, anyway... So unless I've misinterpreted something, all I can say is that if Pokemon condones animal abuse, then karate or sumo condone human torture (I mean, that's about fighting too, right? only with real people, not fictional, animated creatures).

Edited by Arbitran
  • Like 3

You guys are seriously missing the point. Obviously, Pokemon aren't real. But the fact that they're fictional and completely improbable is the very reason that they're destructive. With the colorful monsters and the magical powers, the games cement themselves in the minds of children (and gullible adults) and subconsciously, they begin to see it as alright. So in a million years, when modern science makes it possible to keep an elephant in a "pokeball" and walk it around with you, the descendants of those children and gullible adults will find no fault.

Just arguing PETAs point, since no one else seems to be doing it..

• Like 1

Oh dear... PETA are really becoming irrelevant if they're targeting a video game - again...

They targeted Mario last year.

• Like 2

Kinda stating the obvious there, aren't you? No one's forcing you to do anything.

Yes, PETA is telling us how to live our ives- wanting to change a town's name because it promotes the consumption of turkey? That is forcing your beliefs and way of life on others. You may not want to see it but, that is exactly what PETA does.

• Like 1

You guys are seriously missing the point. Obviously, Pokemon aren't real. But the fact that they're fictional and completely improbable is the very reason that they're destructive. With the colorful monsters and the magical powers, the games cement themselves in the minds of children (and gullible adults) and subconsciously, they begin to see it as alright. So in a million years, when modern science makes it possible to keep an elephant in a "pokeball" and walk it around with you, the descendants of those children and gullible adults will find no fault.

Just arguing PETAs point, since no one else seems to be doing it..

And if that elephant were intelligent and willing? Again, if I've understood Pokemon as my grandchildren have explained it to me, Pokemon are willing (or, if they aren't, they needn't be kept in 'pokeballs', as I understand), and form bonds of friendship and mutual trust with their owners. The humans aren't the only ones who are wanting to battle others and increase their power; as my grandchildren have explained, the Pokemon share the same sentiments, of their own accord.

• Like 1

This subject annoys me so much! I love animals, I also am quite a big Pokemon fan and I have never once considered the game abusive to animals, they are imaginary creatures ffs! And for PETA to create such disturbing images of abused Pokemon, being beaten by a bat!? it just blows my mind that they are calling Pokemon sick when THEY are the sickos!!

• Like 1

And if that elephant were intelligent and willing? Again, if I've understood Pokemon as my grandchildren have explained it to me, Pokemon are willing (or, if they aren't, they needn't be kept in 'pokeballs', as I understand), and form bonds of friendship and mutual trust with their owners. The humans aren't the only ones who are wanting to battle others and increase their power; as my grandchildren have explained, the Pokemon share the same sentiments, of their own accord.

The happiness trainers and pokemon share is one of the worst things I've ever seen. I have never known an animal to be happy in captivity, unless they are severely domesticated (dogs/cats) or fictional (pokemon). Pokemon subconsciously deludes people into believing that animals can be happy living in a pocket-sized ball - or a cage. Also, real animals aren't as bloodthirsty as humans, or indeed, as pokemon. Animals fight each other for survival; in pokemon, battle is glorified, made into a sport. Next thing you know, we'll be having organized dogfights in the streets, every owner trying to "form bonds of friendship and mutual trust" with their dogs. It's saddening, really. :cry:

Yes, PETA is telling us how to live our ives- wanting to change a town's name because it promotes the consumption of turkey? That is forcing your beliefs and way of life on others. You may not want to see it but, that is exactly what PETA does.

Are you saying that PETA has the power to change the name of a town?

I agree that is an attempt to force beliefs on to others.. If anyone protests and demands change, it is trying to force others to do it how they like it..

• Like 1

The happiness trainers and pokemon share is one of the worst things I've ever seen. I have never known an animal to be happy in captivity, unless they are severely domesticated (dogs/cats) or fictional (pokemon). Pokemon subconsciously deludes people into believing that animals can be happy living in a pocket-sized ball - or a cage. Also, real animals aren't as bloodthirsty as humans, or indeed, as pokemon. Animals fight each other for survival; in pokemon, battle is glorified, made into a sport. Next thing you know, we'll be having organized dogfights in the streets, every owner trying to "form bonds of friendship and mutual trust" with their dogs. It's saddening, really. :cry:

Alakazam's Pokedex entry

It has an IQ of 5000. It calculates many things in order to gain the edge in every battle.

They're intelligent beings, not animals. Arceus, the God Pokemon, created their world. Humans, at least postulate in the anime, are also 'Pokemon'.

• Like 2

You must have no faith in humanity. I have played Pokemon for years, Never have I thought about putting my pets in an enclosed space and organizing fights for them. People just aren't that effing stupid! PETA should be focusing on the animals being abused around the world Right Now, not the ones who May Be harmed in the future if everyone goes insane and believes animals are the same as Pokemon.

• Like 2