Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is powdered water the cure for drought?

powdered water powdered rain drought

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,327 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

The lack of water is a growing, global problem that seems intractable.

While the UN estimates that a large majority of the water we use goes on irrigation, researchers have been working on a range of ideas that make the water we use in agriculture last longer.

There has been a great deal of excitement and some dramatic headlines in recent weeks about a product that is said to have the potential to overcome the global challenge of growing crops in arid conditions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-23715031

Posted Image

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,834 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

just add water, you mean?
Um .... :unsure:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,669 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 August 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

just add water, you mean?
Um .... :unsure:

You beat me to it...

#4    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Me, too.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,997 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thats similar to what I have been putting in my tomatoe and other pot plants...for years. Little dry granules that swell massively when water is added, then keep he moisture in the soil

quote:

"Water-retaining granules can be added to growing medium to increase its ability to retain water for longer periods of time. They may help reduce the demand of frequent watering during dry spells and are particularly handy in hanging baskets and containers, and where coarse-textured free-draining potting media is used"

http://apps.rhs.org....le.aspx?PID=692

However, the tech already exists to CHEAPLY produce water from fresh air

"At the edge of the Atacama Desert, one of the driest places on earth, Lima, Peru, receives almost no rainfall. About 700,000 people have no access to clean water for drinking or bathing. Another 600,000 of the city's 7.5 million residents rely on cisterns for their water, which must be filled by pumps or by hand and cleaned regularly.

But Lima's Pacific Coast location experiences humidity of more than 90 percent on summer days, from December to February. So engineers from Peru's University of Engineering and Technology (UTEC) have devised a way to turn that humid air into usable water. Last December, they erected a billboard in the Bujama District of Lima that by early March had produced 9450 liters (about 2500 gallons) of water".

(less than 2 grand to do a one time setup)

http://www.popularme...midity-15393050

Edited by seeder, 22 August 2013 - 01:24 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

"At the edge of the Atacama Desert, one of the driest places on earth, Lima, Peru, receives almost no rainfall. About 700,000 people have no access to clean water for drinking or bathing. Another 600,000 of the city's 7.5 million residents rely on cisterns for their water, which must be filled by pumps or by hand and cleaned regularly.

But Lima's Pacific Coast location experiences humidity of more than 90 percent on summer days, from December to February. So engineers from Peru's University of Engineering and Technology (UTEC) have devised a way to turn that humid air into usable water. Last December, they erected a billboard in the Bujama District of Lima that by early March had produced 9450 liters (about 2500 gallons) of water".

That's great, but 2500 gallons is a drop in the bucket on a commercial scale.  May work for irrigation supplies provided the relative humidity is high enough in the region.

The problem with the superadsorbers would be the weight of transport of the swelled beads.  Absorbing 100 times their weight  might make transport an issue.

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,997 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 22 August 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

That's great, but 2500 gallons is a drop in the bucket on a commercial scale.  May work for irrigation supplies provided the relative humidity is high enough in the region.

The problem with the superadsorbers would be the weight of transport of the swelled beads.  Absorbing 100 times their weight  might make transport an issue.

But they could be commercial if built bigger and if more of them were placed like windfarms. At the very least people can be kept alive/and animals

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#8    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 21 August 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

No.  It can't replace water.  It is polyacrylamide.  I've used and tested it for use in windbreaks.  Results were disappointing to say the least.

What it can do is even out the availability of water.  When water is available, it absorbs and holds it.  If there are frequent rainstorms or frequent irrigation, it evens out the flow.  But if a drought occurs, the polyacrylamide release its water to the soil, rather than the plant.  In the tests I ran, it made no discernible difference to tree survival or growth.

But it does offer some excellent practical joking opportunities.  I sprinkled a few crystals into a co-worker's coffee cup.  He had a real surprise when he finally got around to drinking his coffee.  Also, sprinkle some on your neighbor's lawn.  Next time they water the lawn, it looks like a hailstorm struck.

The crystals are harmless and decompose in sunlight.  I have seen a tree rootlet growing right through a crystal.  But don't inhale the dust - you'll have the worst sinus headache you can imagine.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#9    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,055 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Well(pun intended) I quess there might be some use for this.

#10    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Powdered water. Just add water.

Trolling with science? :P

#11    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,689 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

View Postseeder, on 22 August 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Thats similar to what I have been putting in my tomatoe and other pot plants...for years.

You might want to keep that a secret. Not sure how the drug laws are where you live. :)

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

Those scientists should look into converting used nappies into a fertilizer/water thingy for the arid area crops.  Thereby taking care of the whole overload of used nappies in our landfills.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

that's just stupid,stupid stupid and oh did I forget stupid. to use wet water to make dry water wet,sounds stupid,Yup Stupid.

#14    Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

So it ends up in your body ? Is that safe ?

" After it disintegrates, the powder-like substance becomes part of the plant - it is not toxic,

#15    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostThe Unseen, on 24 August 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

that's just stupid,stupid stupid and oh did I forget stupid. to use wet water to make dry water wet,sounds stupid,Yup Stupid.
I say throw all those stupid "scientists" to the lions.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users