Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lottery

Anirbas

I was just curious how many of you know what a lottery used to be. I remember in high school watching a movie it was probably titled the lottery - anyway a lottery used to be a drawing of all the towns people - and whoevers number was chosen was not LUCKY but unlucky - they would stone that person to death. I forget the reasons why but if anyone remembers please post them original.gif TY

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anirbas

• Bizarro

• schadeaux

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hm well i knew it was a "classic" and a story and all but i swear that someone told me that it was true!

Actually, lotteries have been used for one thing or another since biblical times. Brief timelines are given HERE. and THERE.

I have found no cases, other than in fiction writings, that it was ever used as a punishment. Some of the most popular myths of the lotter use are:

The starving shipwreck survivors, afloat in a raft in the middle of the ocean.

The human sacrifice to appease the angry god. Sometimes restricted to virgins only.

There are many others, but they all seem to have a negative contex. The only related case I could find on this would be when the kings had lotteries to determine which slaves would be given to his guests as gifts. Bad for the slave, not so bad for the guest.

Always, lotteries were used as a way of determining a reward, at least by the players.

thanks DS and Schadeaux for making me less ignornat original.gif