Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush's Poison Pill for America's Kids

Lt_Ripley

Bush's Poison Pill for America's Kids

Posted August 29, 2007 | 02:24 PM (EST)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read More: Breaking Politics News, Eliot Spitzer

Sometimes in politics, you think you've seen it all. Turns out I was wrong.

Just when you thought things at the White House couldn't get any stranger, the president has decided it is good public policy to increase the number of uninsured children in our country.

In the last year, we've seen public opinion building around the principle that no American should be denied health care. The president has answered that call by attempting to limit eligibility for the State Children's Health Insurance Program. SCHIP is a program that provides health care to children whose families make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford private health insurance.

The president is trying to tell governors like me across the country that until we enroll 95 percent of those eligible for S-CHIP in households making under 200 percent of the poverty line ($41,300 for a family of four), we cannot provide health care to children in families making above 250 percent of the poverty line ($51,625 for a family of four).

Make no mistake. This is a poison pill meant to deny thousands of children health insurance.

While state governments make every effort to enroll as many eligible kids as possible, there will always be some individuals who fail to take advantage of this important program. In New York, we currently enroll 88 percent of children in families making below 200 percent of the poverty level. No state has yet cleared the 95 percent hurdle.

Since many states already enroll children at income thresholds above 250 percent of the poverty level, this means that these new regulations will have the effect of forcing children who already have coverage out of the program. Moreover, New York's historic effort to provide universal coverage for children through SCHIP will not be able to get off the ground because of this bureaucratic sleight of hand.

The president surely knows this. But then that begs the question: Why would he choose to pursue this path?

This isn't about fiscal restraint. The initiative is paid for through a tax on unhealthy cigarettes and other revenue sources. This isn't about good public policy. SCHIP has been wildly successful in providing health care for nearly seven million of our nation's vulnerable children.

The actions of the White House speak to what we've all known for far too long. When faced with the choice of covering thousands of children, they'll bring up the "big government" bogeyman and then stick their heads in the sand, ignoring the realities facing working families across the country.

This is not the way it has to be. Health care for our children should not be a partisan issue.

I have joined governors of both parties from across the country in trying to expand SCHIP coverage. My initiative to expand SCHIP and provide universal coverage to New York's children was passed by a large bi-partisan majority in our state legislature. I have even committed to taking legal action if CMS refuses to do what is right, follow the law, and insure these kids.

While we promise to keep doing our best to hold the President accountable, we cannot do it alone. We need your help

There are 400,000 uninsured children in New York and 9 million around the country who are counting on you to be their voice. Call your congressman and tell him or her to overturn the president's decision. Write the White House and tell them what you think.

I just wrote a column in the New York Daily News about this issue, which you can find here. Writing a letter to the editor of your local paper is a great way to make your opinion heard.

Standing by and letting this injustice go unanswered is simply not an option. The stakes are too high. You must do your part.

If we fail to act, 400,000 children in New York - and millions more across America - will continue to rely on the oldest and most precarious health insurance policy of all: waking up every morning and praying that they don't get sick.

Click here to watch a video of Governor Spitzer and Congressman Rangel and discussing this issue. Governor Spitzer and Governor Schwarzenegger also recently wrote a letter to the President demanding that these new rules be be withdrawn (more).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eliot-spitze...am_b_62345.html

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• bathory

• Startraveler

• Lt_Ripley

Top Posters In This Topic

How is this going to increase the number of uninsured children again?

Those making 250% above the national poverty level are currently not included in the SCHIP program. Not raising it to that level is not suddenly going to create millions of uninsured children.

I do not understand how families making nearly $52,000 a year cannot provide insurance for themselves. I don't make near $52,000 a year, and am able to provide insurance for my son and myself.

Make no mistake; I agree with the SCHIP program, it is much cheaper to maintain than having the government pay out for emergency room-visits.

try reading it again , only slower.

those above the 250% are already without health insurance as well.

granted 50 + grand for a family of 4 seems alot to me. but I don't know all the dynamics either.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

isn't it obvious?

they decided they'd borrow money to buy the latest big expensive SUV, moved into a McMansion, and are in debt up to their ears.

isn't it obvious?

they decided they'd borrow money to buy the latest big expensive SUV, moved into a McMansion, and are in debt up to their ears.

exactly. they should be under the extreme poverty line that has increased with people since bush got elected.

well at what point should the government be expected to pick up the tab for someones poor financial decisions?

"Its ok honey, we can get heavily into debt, buy crap we don't need, and live well beyond our means, the government will bail us out!"

exactly. they should be under the extreme poverty line that has increased with people since bush got elected.

If you will check the NEWS today and yesterday. Poverty has been down and Obesity in most states has gone up.

Your definition of poverty I guess is those with no SUV. :rolleyes:

Edited by AROCES

his definition of poverty is the family that chooses a big screen plasma over healthcare for their kids

If you will check the NEWS today and yesterday. Poverty has been down and Obesity in most states has gone up.

Your definition of poverty I guess is those with no SUV. :rolleyes:

Poverty is down 0.3% You'd do well to note that those articles yesterday emphasized the link between poverty and rising obesity rates.

Poverty is down 0.3% You'd do well to note that those articles yesterday emphasized the link between poverty and rising obesity rates.

Oh yeah. The Obese consumed more than they need and left nothing for the others who are in poverty now.

There is your link. ;)

While I'm glad you're amusing yourself, the connection is real and was reported two days ago in the very articles you're talking about.

Poverty main cause of obesity problem in South:

Poverty and obesity often go hand in hand, doctors say, because poor families stretch their budgets by buying cheaper, processed foods that have higher fat content and lower nutritional value.

While I'm glad you're amusing yourself, the connection is real and was reported two days ago in the very articles you're talking about.

Poverty main cause of obesity problem in South:

Oh gee! You are listening to the blame everyone but me group.

You think gravy is fattening? Then eat less, or eat corn, or fruit. I didn't spend a lot of money when I went on a diet, I actually was spending less on food!

Sometimes I really find it hard to follow you Liberals with how you see how things works? :blink:

Edited by AROCES

isn't it obvious?

I don't buy that. Most people who have insurance have it through their employer, they pay a comparatively tiny amount in, sometimes less than $100 a paycheck. A employeer paying $50,000 a year (or even two employers paying out $25,000 a year) would most likely offer some sort of insurance.

try reading it again , only slower.

those above the 250% are already without health insurance as well.

granted 50 + grand for a family of 4 seems alot to me. but I don't know all the dynamics either.

But in those 14 states already providing for those 250% above the poverty level (the federal SCHIP only guarantees 200%), classify a child as anyone under the age of 25, in a family making less than $52,000 a year. It isn't millions of "children" being robbed of healthcare, but rather adults who should be out, with a job, earning their own healthcare.

Edited by BrucePrime

isn't it obvious?

I can't really blame the government for this but I will blame the banks which up until now have been promoting such reckless spending.

well at what point should the government be expected to pick up the tab for someones poor financial decisions?

"Its ok honey, we can get heavily into debt, buy crap we don't need, and live well beyond our means, the government will bail us out!"

At what point should businesses and banks do credit checks and only distribute cars, houses and other such expensive items to what is in your price range as to avoid massive debt which could result in a economic collapse.

Your definition of poverty I guess is those with no SUV.

Obesity is a result of eating crap foods and foods at Mcdicks which happens to be cheaper then good food. This is a result of trying to pay of that new car you bought or that new million home you have. Again at what point do businesses begin to not approve mortgages and loans to people who can't afford them.

Oh gee! You are listening to the blame everyone but me group.

You think gravy is fattening? Then eat less, or eat corn, or fruit. I didn't spend a lot of money when I went on a diet, I actually was spending less on food!

Sometimes I really find it hard to follow you Liberals with how you see how things works?

You don't spend money on food because your a 15 year old who sponges off of mommy and daddy.....

You are the one who doesn't understand how things work because you lack wisdom that comes with experiencing the real world. As hard as it is AROCES for you to understand it's true so when you grow up and experience the world.

So when you gain a little wisdom as opposed to just making stuff up and repeating what they say on Faux News then we can talk.

You are the one who doesn't understand how things work because you lack wisdom that comes with experiencing the real world. As hard as it is AROCES for you to understand it's true so when you grow up and experience the world.

So when you gain a little wisdom as opposed to just making stuff up and repeating what they say on Faux News then we can talk.

And you are the only one who thinks people become fat because of government policies.

You don't even have any wisdom, you just absorb and sadly believe anything thrown at you that will justify your political agenda.

Everything with you folks is governement related, either the government is as you wish it to do or life is basicaly doom and gloom, bunch of parasites!

Edited by AROCES

And you are the only one who thinks people become fat because of government policies.

No I said people get fat because they can't afford to buy good food to put on the table as a result of debt and what have you.

You don't even have any wisdom, you just absorb and sadly believe anything thrown at you that will justify your political agenda.

I don't have a political agenda remember I'm not American. I certainly do have wisdom as I have experienced life on my own outside of the static environment i like to call 'home'. If I did have an agenda it is simply meant to keep things from falling apart as they are now. Everything to you is Left vs. Right, Dem vs Rep etc. When this is not the case and trust me Aroces I'm trying to help you out here policy making will be the same it just comes in different packaging.

Wisdom comes with life experiences and you have very little I don't even have that much but I have enough to know that you have no idea what you're talking about most of the time in regards to politics.

Everything with you folks is government related, either the government is as you wish it to do or life is basically doom and gloom, bunch of parasites!...(Fixed Spelling)

This thread is in fact government related. The government in the US should do what it's people ask of it, no decision should ever be mad w/o the consent of it's people.

As for doom and gloom no one knows what the future but by analyzing the current situation of the US economy and it's social issues the future of America doesn't look that bright.

George Orwell said:

"All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome."

You would call everyone who disagrees with you parasites yet you still live at home and suck your moms teet...

Edited by AtheistGod

omg!! i have no ideal what that means....

but it just all sounds soooo stupid

lol

omg!! i have no ideal what that means....

but it just all sounds soooo stupid

lol

Your post is stupid.....

No I said people get fat because they can't afford to buy good food to put on the table as a result of debt and what have you.

People get fat because they eat too much, got nothing to do with what you can afford to eat. Do you see a lot of fat people in Somalia or Bangladesh???? :wacko: GEE!

I don't have a political agenda remember I'm not American. I certainly do have wisdom as I have experienced life on my own outside of the static environment i like to call 'home'. If I did have an agenda it is simply meant to keep things from falling apart as they are now. Everything to you is Left vs. Right, Dem vs Rep etc. When this is not the case and trust me Aroces I'm trying to help you out here policy making will be the same it just comes in different packaging.

Sure, you have no political agenda, you just merely think like a Liberal and see the world like a Liberal. Don't be afraid to say you lean on the Left for I don't deny leaning on the right.

This thread is in fact government related. The government in the US should do what it's people ask of it, no decision should ever be mad w/o the consent of it's people.

By the way made is with an E. Just correcting your spelling .

As for doom and gloom no one knows what the future but by analyzing the current situation of the US economy and it's social issues the future of America doesn't look that bright.

George Orwell said:

"All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome."

Same things been said in the 70's and Ronald Reagan came. A leader, not someone who just sits there and do whatever the people wants. Your idea of leadership, someone who just sit there and do whatever he is told.

You would call everyone who disagrees with you parasites yet you still live at home and suck your moms teet...

YUP, my moms teet. While you go around and suck all the teet you can reach, like a parasite.

Edited by AROCES

surely a head of lettuce, tomatoes, bread and some cold cuts end up about the same as a weeks worth of Micky Ds?

surely a head of lettuce, tomatoes, bread and some cold cuts end up about the same as a weeks worth of Micky Ds?

Studies have shown that neighborhoods with a higher proportion of poor, usually African American residents have fewer supermarkets and fewer high-quality food options, as well as a disproportionate number of fast food restaurants. 29 cent hamburger days (or whatever the deals are now) can snare a lot of folks in that situation.

Everything with you folks is governement related, either the government is as you wish it to do or life is basicaly doom and gloom, bunch of parasites!

the government this the government that...all the govt is to you is a treasury that needs bankrupting. by an imperialist and his pals...govt is for the people..all people not just the "gang"...I heard fort knox is empty the beltway gang stole it.. and it's noones business?...your the parasites getting rich off the backs of the working man and soldiers....bush doesnt care about poverty unless its in iraq...

Studies have shown that neighborhoods with a higher proportion of poor, usually African American residents have fewer supermarkets and fewer high-quality food options, as well as a disproportionate number of fast food restaurants. 29 cent hamburger days (or whatever the deals are now) can snare a lot of folks in that situation.

as someone who lives in those poor neighborhoods what you also see more of are beer and liquor ads. everywhere.

it's akin to keeping the proletariats sedated in a sense.

as for supermarkets - good ones leave and what is left is high cost poor quality.