Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Land of the Free? Not so Much!

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#331    Sensible Logic

Sensible Logic

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

• If I alter the reality to fit the fantasy I can prove anything.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostCassea, on 27 February 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I am curious why people want so badly to ignore the truth.  If this was a meeting of people who got together to read Richard Dawkins books every week.  You can bet that people would suddenly see the harassment.  Then it would be clear.  But since most people hate Christians, then we're just whining.

In the U.S. if most people hate Christians, with 78% of the people declaring themselves to be Christian, then there must be an awful lot of self loathing going on.  

If it were just friends getting together they wouldn't have done so much expansion and added a parking lot.  Homes don't need parking lots but businesses and organizations do and are treated like businesses or organizations.  Weave baskets in your home by yourself or with the help of family and it's a craft.  Expand your home and put in a parking lot so 20 people can work on baskets and it's a business.  It's not harassment or discrimination.

The sheer odds of a civilization advancing, developing space travel, deciding to search our little corner of the galaxy, arriving at just the right time and actually helping us is so huge, you would have a greater chance of winning several lotteries in a single year. - SensibleLogic

#332    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostSensible Logic, on 27 February 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

In the U.S. if most people hate Christians, with 78% of the people declaring themselves to be Christian, then there must be an awful lot of self loathing going on.  

Now that is a perfect answer  to all of those out there that complain  people hate Christians over a disagreement.  I must remember to use that one lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#333    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostSensible Logic, on 27 February 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

If it were just friends getting together they wouldn't have done so much expansion and added a parking lot.  Homes don't need parking lots but businesses and organizations do and are treated like businesses or organizations.  Weave baskets in your home by yourself or with the help of family and it's a craft.  Expand your home and put in a parking lot so 20 people can work on baskets and it's a business.  It's not harassment or discrimination.

What a nonsensical statistic.  I think it is not smart to just snatch up random statistics and parade them around like a banner of evidence.  When you have not even take the time to examine the actual poll. Since I know full well they did not interview the entire country, it is not accurate. Also many of these polls ask what religion you would most closely associate with.  The options being Judaism, Islam,  Buddhism,  Christianity,  Paganism or None of the above.  Those who were raised Christian but fell away.  Will often choose Christianity.   I've been told by college professors many times that when someone mentions a statistic,  to follow it blindly is very stupid.  Always make sure you know the particulars.

In my experience ex Christians are often very angry and nasty towards Christians.   I guess they feel more vicious because of their own personal issues.  Many times I see ex Christians making excuses for Islam and other religions in a way that they would never do for Christians.  When someone is very angry towards my beliefs,  I can pretty much bet. That they are an ex Christian.

Edited by Cassea, 28 February 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#334    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,148 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Cassea, dismissing a report based on little more than the assumption that it is meaningless has little effect on the actual validity of the report.  If you want to claim it is meaningless, you have to show precisely why it is meaningless.

Additionally, repeating an argument does not, in any way, make it more supported or valid.

#335    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostCassea, on 28 February 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

What a nonsensical statistic.  I think it is not smart to just snatch up random statistics and parade them around like a banner of evidence.  When you have not even take the time to examine the actual poll. Since I know full well they did not interview the entire country, it is not accurate.

You should probably read up on statistics.

Inferential statistics uses patterns in the sample data to draw inferences about the population represented

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Statistics

Edited by Cybele, 29 February 2012 - 03:49 AM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#336    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,327 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

Maybe Cassea should have said that facts are overrated.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#337    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,148 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

Well, let's not go too far in the opposite direction, people.  Unless I missed it, we never actually got a source for that statistic, so for all we know it got pulled out of thin air (or other darker recesses ;)).  We cannot consider it a fact without knowing the source, and even knowing the source and verifying it's credibility still means it is a statistic, nothing more, but certainly nothing less.

Too many people try and make decisions black and white, positive or negative, either with us or against us.  It isn't always an If_Then formula.  Credibility isn't something you have or don't have.  It is the level of credibility that something has which is important.

#338    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,083 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Probably here:

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

Pew is reasonably good for ballpark estimation, and is frequently cited in the media.

Posted Image

#339    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have to say, after reading all 23 pages of this thread I have lost a part of my life I will never reclaim reading absolute GARGABE.

The couple in question specifically built a church in there home, church seating, pulpit, and with a parking area and then cried when they were told its ok to be a church but need permits to do so. This is not discrimination this is a business operating in a residential area. Doesnt matter if theyre non-profit, doesnt matter if theyre christian, mormon, muslim, even cat eating jedi nobody gives 3 craps. NOBODY is above the law. You build a business next to peoples homes WITHOUT permits to do so, you get fined for it.

And before I hear this bs "oh it was bible study, not church" bible studies dont require you building a church in your home. But guess what does? Church gatherings! Now why would people piss money out there rear to build a church they wouldnt need for bible study? Oh cause they wanted to be a church in a residential area, but not pay the fees/permits of being a church.

Im tired of people saying christians are the most hated faith. Name the last person you knew of going to jail for practicing christianity... Now count off how many christian presidents youve had...

http://blogs.miamine...lls_richard.php

Yes thats right, my faith had to fight in the supreme court because christianity labeled us satan worshippers and said we abuse animals, because we still believe in animal sacrifice. Even after fighting in supreme court to be able to freely practice our faith we still constantly get harassed by the law and are constantly being arrested for bs charge after bs charge cause the christian officer doesnt like what we do, afterall we are satan worshippers right?

Im sure even were not the most hated, just showing you that your bs whining is annoying already. Others suffer more at your faiths will and you dont see us crying about it.

Kudo February 6, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

Yes My EIN # 30-0602348 issued by the IRS . I am working with the State Attornys office in hopes to start removing some of the animals

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#340    Volatile32

Volatile32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostCassea, on 21 February 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

I was going to mention that as well.  It's not as if this was a tiny house in a poor crowded neighborhood.  There's no reason the neighbor's should have even heard anything.

I was wondering when someone was going to post a map of the area. I wonder if the neighbors with the tennis court get fines for weekly doubles tennis? 3 or more people after all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users