Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Continental Drift

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if earth science is tought in school anymore...

Depends what you mean; it's being taught, but whether it's being learnt or not is a different matter, e.g. at my last school only 35% of 14-16 year olds averaged a C or above in 2006. The previous year was even worse...

#17    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:13 AM

Depends what you mean; it's being taught, but whether it's being learnt or not is a different matter, e.g. at my last school only 35% of 14-16 year olds averaged a C or above in 2006. The previous year was even worse...

I was the bane of my english teachers.  Try as hard as they or myself might.. spelling still evaids me. Mostly because dyslexia hounds me.

However, It was manditory in my school oh.. about 15.. 16 years ago. I believe it still is, atleast last I checked the teacher was still there.  And we learned everything that was up to date back then.  We spent a month on continental drift.  I loved that class =(

Edited by SilverCougar, 10 January 2007 - 12:14 AM.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#18    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,985 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

its unfortunate but in the calif. public schools  its not covered either not much, the chartters do offer ti  intensely...  How can you not know about the planet you live on.....most of the   curriculims are based in the 60's and  not up to date....

#19    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:42 AM

In my mind, Earth Science was a blow-off and a waste of time...So I just tested out. Now I know why schools make it mandatory tongue.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#20    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

Hmm.. yeah. I can see how learning about the Teutonic plates moving, how various rocks are formed along with how fossils are made along with which type of rocks you're most likely to find them in. Not to mention how various islands are formed, how erosion works and how it effects certain areas, how the glacier during the ice age made lakes, islands, and rivers... was a blow off and waist of time.

Nope.. nothing good to learn there... not a single thing.   rolleyes.gif

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#21    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

I can see how learning about the Teutonic plates moving, how various rocks are formed along with how fossils are made along with which type of rocks you're most likely to find them in. Not to mention how various islands are formed, how erosion works and how it effects certain areas, how the glacier during the ice age made lakes, islands, and rivers... was a blow off and waist of time.

Yes, especially since I got a 96 on the Opt-out test. Now I can take more science classes, like AP Physics and Honors Zoology.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users