Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Psychology of Paranormal Belief

Sakari

I am sure a lot of people are like me. They want to learn more on why some people believe in the paranormal, even when their are no facts to support their belief. This is something that has fascinated me for the last 5 years, and is something I have been trying to learn about.

For others that have looked for research on this, here is a good start :

With a thorough and systematic review of investigations into the bases of belief in paranormal phenomena, this discussion explores the four main theoretical approaches relating to the nature of such beliefs. Objective and well-researched, this account addresses different points of view on the topic—while some commentators depict paranormal believers as foolish, others propose that paranormal beliefs must be understood as necessities that serve certain psychodynamic needs. The foundations and shortcomings of each approach are also documented, and a new comprehensive theory attempts to explain the development of scientifically unsubstantiated beliefs.

http://circee.org/ir...ief-review.html

http://www.amazon.com/Psychology-Paranormal-Belief-Researchers-Handbook/dp/190280693X/ref=sr_1_fed0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353289277&sr=1-2&keywords=psychology+of+belief

Edited by Sakari

Jeezus H! 28 bucks just for the Kindle edition? Maybe I can find a library somewhere to borrow it from.....

I know....I am looking around, if I find a decent price, I will PM you......

Had been reading about it, would like to read it, and his other 4.....

Everyone's life experiences are unique to themselves, some develop belief systems out of those experiences. So science hasn't been able to explain the paranormal? Well, it wasn't that long ago that science couldn't explain illness in terms other than the four humours. And space travel seemed so far-fetched we read about it only in science fiction, and something like the internet was inconceivable 75 years ago. So who knows where science may take us in the future? Just because science currently has no explanation doesn't mean that it never will have.

• Like 1

Everyone's life experiences are unique to themselves, some develop belief systems out of those experiences. So science hasn't been able to explain the paranormal? Well, it wasn't that long ago that science couldn't explain illness in terms other than the four humours. And space travel seemed so far-fetched we read about it only in science fiction, and something like the internet was inconceivable 75 years ago. So who knows where science may take us in the future? Just because science currently has no explanation doesn't mean that it never will have.

Science does have a explanation....

And I just posted a link for a book, not sure where the debate came from.

Did you see that?....It is a book on the Psychology of the paranormal, no claims of anything anywhere to debate...Just a link for a book is all.

Ahhh,yes,science has an explanation ,that we all *need* these little beliefs to keep our world turning .Fail . And how old is this book ?

Can't you find anything a bit more current ,to explain our "psychology .

One has to wonder about people so hell bent on proving it doesn't exist ,except in another person's mind . .

• Like 1

I got to ask Wiseman about it, and it's also outlined in his book.

Basically, he's interested in what causes our brains to come to these conclusions. He stresses often this doesn't mean psycics/ghosts, ect. don't exist.

Fun book, funny guy. Signed my copy with a drawing of a ghost.

Ahhh,yes,science has an explanation ,that we all *need* these little beliefs to keep our world turning .Fail . And how old is this book ?

One has to wonder about people so hell bent on proving it doesn't exist ,except in another person's mind . .

at the end of the day, it all comes down to mind control.. the more awake you become the more you see how limited and narrow minded science and the rational mind is.. its confined in its concrete walls..

I am sure a lot of people are like me. They want to learn more on why some people believe in the paranormal, even when their are no facts to support their belief. This is something that has fascinated me for the last 5 years, and is something I have been trying to learn about.

i don't believe you actually want to learn more on these topics, Sakari..

so you are desperate to learn more about it, even though you know there is no way to provide factual evidence that would sustain you and your posse of skeptics?? kind of defeats the purpose of anyone ever posting here.. good luck..

at the end of the day, it all comes down to mind control.. the more awake you become the more you see how limited and narrow minded science and the rational mind is.. its confined in its concrete walls..

i don't believe you actually want to learn more on these topics, Sakari..

so you are desperate to learn more about it, even though you know there is no way to provide factual evidence that would sustain you and your posse of skeptics?? kind of defeats the purpose of anyone ever posting here.. good luck..

Any certain topic you would like to discuss?....I am more then willing to discuss whatever is on your mind.

Is there a certain reason people like you just can not stand someone not having the same belief as you?

I discuss things, I show facts, and I have rebuttles with facts.If someone tells me this is what they believe, I do not argue it. If they through it out as fact, I ask for evidence, and I do debate it.

Why so angry because I do not share your belief?

What makes the world interesting are the differences among us. Wherever we stand on the topic, we can always learn from one another. I was just thinking about the closed loop idea, that because science doesn't currently have an explanation for a paranormal experience science will never have an explanation, therefore, any paranormal experiences one might experience is scientifically invalid.

This book is 3 years old.

Yes, I can find things more current. If I wanted to post them I would, I shared this since I have not seen it before.

One has to wonder on why someone gets their panties in a wad every time someone does not share their belief in certain topics......The book may answer that.

What makes the world interesting are the differences among us. Wherever we stand on the topic, we can always learn from one another. I was just thinking about the closed loop idea, that because science doesn't currently have an explanation for a paranormal experience science will never have an explanation, therefore, any paranormal experiences one might experience is scientifically invalid.

I am not sure where science does not have a explanation.

The bold part..... :tu:

.If someone tells me this is what they believe, I do not argue it. If they through it out as fact, I ask for evidence, and I do debate it.

this is what i don't understand as well - it's like asking for evidence is something dirty.

what i find tiring are those who spout the usual responses - why are you here if you don't believe? this is an unexplained mysteries forum so why do i need proof? you are trolling. i don't have to prove anything to you...etc

• Like 2

I wonder if there's a book about the psychology of sceptics who hang around paranormal forums pretending to disprove the paranormal.

There have been many scientifically unsubstantiated beliefs throughout history that were eventually proven correct. All any "believer" has to bring up is the subject of parallel universes and how they may interface with ours. It's a scientifically valid subject, though thus far unproven, and it could explain a great many things that are currently labelled paranormal.

The book may be a very interesting read if it's about people who believe in things that are proven not to exist, but the vast majority of the paranormal doesn't fall into that category at all.

• Like 1

I wonder if there's a book about the psychology of sceptics who hang around paranormal forums pretending to disprove the paranormal.

Any reason for that comment?

Was it productive to the topic?

What was the intent of that comment?

Just curious.....I hate to assume.

First, some people get upset when others do not agree, or believe their " belief " or claim.....

Now, we have people upset because there are books written and published on it?

I do not know of anyone who hangs around here to disprove the paranormal...I know quite a few that want answers and facts to back up claims.

Or should I say want " proof " of said claims when presented.

I believe you have had it explained to you by numerous people why " skeptics " are in discussions here, if you can not understand or respect it, maybe you are in the wrong place.

As I told another, I posted a link for a book for " those interested " in the Philosophy and Psychology section. Since the book is on Psychology, I thought it was the appropriate place, and would not hurt anyone's feelings.

If you would like to discuss any issues you have with me, or any other " skeptics " please feel free to PM me, so others will not have to see the wasted replies.

Edit to add :

No one has the responsibility to disprove anything, and no one tries ( except one certain topic ).....It is a claimants responsibility to prove their claim is true and factual.

I would think you would know this by now.

Edited by Sakari

Any reason for that comment?

Was it productive to the topic?

What was the intent of that comment?

Just curious.....I hate to assume.

First, some people get upset when others do not agree, or believe their " belief " or claim.....

Now, we have people upset because there are books written and published on it?

I do not know of anyone who hangs around here to disprove the paranormal...I know quite a few that want answers and facts to back up claims.

Or should I say want " proof " of said claims when presented.

I believe you have had it explained to you by numerous people why " skeptics " are in discussions here, if you can not understand or respect it, maybe you are in the wrong place.

As I told another, I posted a link for a book for " those interested " in the Philosophy and Psychology section. Since the book is on Psychology, I thought it was the appropriate place, and would not hurt anyone's feelings.

If you would like to discuss any issues you have with me, or any other " skeptics " please feel free to PM me, so others will not have to see the wasted replies.

Edit to add :

No one has the responsibility to disprove anything, and no one tries ( except one certain topic ).....It is a claimants responsibility to prove their claim is true and factual.

I would think you would know this by now.

Well, no, it's not a claimant's responsibility to prove their claim is true and factual unless there's a rule I'm not aware of. Certainly there are those who demand or request proof, that no one is obligated to provide it. And proof would be very difficult to provide, since many of the post I've read have been written after the fact, in some cases, decades after the account. And then who determines the validity of any proof that someone may choose to provide? I certainly have experienced the "paranormal" enough times to be convinced it occurs, although I'm not sure it's truly paranormal, but instead may be a natural phenomena that currently has no explanation. Because I am at heart a skeptic, (I know, hard to believe, huh?) I always read these posts with at least a couple of grains of salt. I believe what I experience to be true because of first hand experience, but I can only speak for myself, and can't judge the validity of claims made by total strangers. I don't believe in demons or jinns or ETs because I've never encountered any. On the other hand, some of my claims sounds ridiculous to some, and I have encountered some odd things, so I'm not going to fall into the trap of thinking that if I haven't experienced it myself then it must not be true, but I have come very close to doing just that. It seems to me each of us is in the word in our own unique way, and even though some of our experiences are unique to ourselves, we all still have much more commonality than differences.

I don't think paranormal experiences are a big deal, I don't think someone who experiences them is better or special or more spiritual in any way than anyone else. Paranormal experiences kind of like clowns at the circus, sometimes fun and sometimes they make you laugh, but there's a lot going on under the big top that deserves more attention.

So, has anyone read, or heard of this book. I am sure I will get it, just wanting some feedback first.

I think everyone has something to add to the discussion, both believers and skeptics. I don't mean to turn this into a debate, there's been enough of that done. The paranormal has a lot of aspects to it, and I'm not sure that the whole topic can be dismissed, or that what suffices as an explanation for one phenomena serves as an explanation for all aspects. Anyhoo, it's just one subject of many that interests me, and it's not the most important. I do like to talk to people who have had experiences similar to mine because other people's understanding or explanation of the events may be pertinent to mine. But I'm not here to convince anyone that my perspective is the only valid one, nor to defend the recounting of my experiences, nor have a debate.