Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rock and Roll Hall of Shame

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,101 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

I was surfing the internet just a bit ago and came to the startling discovery that one of the greatest Rock and Roll bands of all time is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

The Moody Blues...

The Moodies are not the only such band, ostracized by the Hall... check out this list...

KISS
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Chicago
Hall and Oates
Rush
Alice Cooper
Moody Blues
E.L.O.
Cheap Trick
Bad Company
Peter Frampton
Heart
T-Rex
Bon Jovi
Journey
Foreigner
Public Enemy
Red Hot Chili Peppers...

In order to be eligible for the Hall, it must be at least 25 years since their first recording...
The Moodies passed this time limit in the early 1990's...

Here is an excerpt from an on-line mag called "Goldmine"

"No major band has so relentlessly purveyed nonsense…were it not for their titanic success, in fact, they might easily be dismissed as an odd and overlong joke…
it’s the artiness of their symphonic rock that’s truly crass, their self-importance offensive. Gods of 70s FM radio, they invented a sort of easy-listening psychedelia
that resolutely combined the worst of both worlds.”

So wrote Paul Evans in the fourth edition of “The Rolling Stone Album Guide,” which then proceeded to rate the band’s big seven albums, the first getting a
respectable three stars, the next six getting one and one-half stars, except for one which got just one star. The rating guide lists one star as “DISASTROUS:
Albums in the range of one star or less are wastes of vital resources. Only masochists and completists need apply.”
Folks, now you know why the Moody Blues are not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. "
http://www.goldminem...he-hall-of-fame

The bottom line is that the RRHOF is controlled by Rolling Stone Magazine... And the powers that be at Rolling Stone don't think the Moodies are 'cool enough' to be in their hall...

I personally think this is a shame and a travesty ... It's not just because I really - REALLY like the Moodies... Lets look at their qualifications:

16 non-compilation studio albums...
6 Live concert albums...
70+ million copies sold world wide..
14 Platinum and Gold Albums...
nearly 50 years as a band and still selling out concerts...

If not for the Moody Blues influence - the Beatles would not have been able to change their sound on their later albums (introduction to the Mellotron)...
Their 'core seven albums' (Days of Future Past, In Search of the Lost Chord, On The Threshold of a Dream, To Our Children's Children's Children, A Question of Balance, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and Seventh Sojurn)  each out sold the preceding albums, and have given the music world several iconic R&R songs...

They were essentially the founding members of 'Progressive Rock' and for this Rolling Stone has never forgiven them..

Shame on you Rolling Stone...

Your thoughts?

#2    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,813 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

I never liked the Moody Blues myself....

Now Kiss and Rush, they should be in there......

But again, look at the list of whom is in there, and I have issues calling some of it " Rock and Roll ".

One example ( of many ) ..... The Bee Gee's.

Really?   Rock and Roll?

Edited by Sakari, 17 June 2012 - 09:10 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Used to subscribe as a kid, then tried it again 20 years later. Not a Rolling Stone mag fan. Pompous, glitzy, and sold out whatever heart and soul and music focus it (some of its writers) arguably may have had early on.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#4    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostSakari, on 17 June 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

I never liked the Moody Blues myself....

But again, look at the list of whom is in there, and I have issues calling some of it " Rock and Roll ".

Yeah, wasn't T Rex some one hit "wonder"?

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#5    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,133 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I personally never liked the Moody Blues, I saw them once in concert and slept through the entire show pretty much.

The ones that should be there for sure are:

Heart
Yes
Kiss
Rush

Those are the big four snubs in my book.

I also think Cheap Trick and Alice Cooper should be there too.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 17 June 2012 - 09:25 PM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#6    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,133 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 17 June 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Yeah, wasn't T Rex some one hit "wonder"?

You might only know Bang-a-Gong, but for those who are fans of glam rock from that era, they know T-Rex had a pretty good body of work actually. Do I think they belong in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? Ummm... I'm not sure, but I can say I think they belong there more than some of the others who have been inducted who aren't rock and roll artists at all.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#7    _Only

_Only

• 6,462 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are being inducted into it this year, I thought.

To be honest, some of the other bands in the list are not leaders of their genre. Not so innovative, not the most popular, kind of securely placed in the lower end of the top, in my opinion.

edit: Oops, looks like it already happened; the RHCP inducted into the hall this year. So that's one off the list.

Edited by _Only, 17 June 2012 - 09:40 PM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#8    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 17 June 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

You might only know Bang-a-Gong, but for those who are fans of glam rock from that era, they know T-Rex had a pretty good body of work actually. Do I think they belong in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? Ummm... I'm not sure, but I can say I think they belong there more than some of the others who have been inducted who aren't rock and roll artists at all.

You are right, I don't remember their other songs. I'll have to give them a listen.  Maybe I will recognize some.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Were the Moody Blues influential at all?

#9    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,557 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

I like The Moody Blues, I think they should be there.  If Neil Diamond, ABBA, Miles Davis, Righteous Brothers, Brenda Lee, Paul Simon, Nat :King" Cole, Billie Holiday, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Jelly Roll Morton, The Jackson 5, Etta James, Dinah Washington, Johnny Cash, Louie Armstrong, Bobby Darin, Dion, Bessie Smith, Woody Guthrie, Marvin Gay, B B King, and some more have been inducted, why not The Moody Blues?

I think the R&R Hall of Fame is pretty much a joke, anyway.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#10    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 17 June 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

I think the R&R Hall of Fame is pretty much a joke, anyway.

How I feel about awards in general: Forget them, I'll like what I want to like, forget the politics, favors, and critics.

Exhibits are cool, but you can't make me agree who deserves what according to some committee.

#11    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostSakari, on 17 June 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

Kiss and Rush top my list for sure

#12    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,229 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

RRHOF selections seem completely random and biased. What's important is how the fans feel about the the music as individuals.

Edited by little_dreamer, 18 June 2012 - 02:25 AM.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#13    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,557 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

I may be in trouble for this, but, Kiss??

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,813 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 18 June 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

I may be in trouble for this, but, Kiss??

Just this one small tidbit alone should be enough.......

The band has sold more than 40 million albums in the United States, of which 20 million have been certified by the RIAA[3] and their worldwide sales exceeds 100 million albums

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#15    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,243 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

Kiss, Alice Cooper and RHCP.,...are not in the R n R HOF??? That's blasphemy.  ;/

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users