Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does God make mistakes

Alan McDougall

To bounce off the topic , do you believe God makes mistakes!

There is no way to reconcile the existence of a God who created the universe with the bumbling God in the Bible. Only men could have created such a creature.

Edited by Alan McDougall

He either makes mistakes, or does it on purpose. Which one is scarier?

• Like 2

To bounce off the topic , do you believe God makes mistakes!

There is no way to reconcile the existence of a God who created the universe with the bumbling God in the Bible. Only men could have created such a creature.

I agree with you.

of course he does.. he made man apparently didnt he?

either its a mistake.. or he has a warped sense of humor..

• Like 1

sure he does- simon cowell.., victoria beckham.., jimmy saville.., the french.., gingers.., the list goes on & on....

• Like 3

I guess mistakes are a part of all that is, but you can't really dwell on any one aspect of all that is because it kind of creates a 2-D view of a potentially infinite-D idea.

• Like 2

Agreed. the bible is a work ( several actually) of spiritual literature. It's a mistake ---I think even many Christians these days understand this ---- to take all of it literally. My father in law is a strong catholic and he says he takes the bible littoral not literally. It becomes a strawman to hold all Christians up to the literal stories of the bible. It's just not the way all of them think.

I think God and nature are intimately intertwined and yes there are no mistakes only process. The ultimate meaning of which is far far beyond our comprehension except fit the idea that it must be the way that it is for sentience to have meaning at all.

• Like 2

sure he does- simon cowell.., victoria beckham.., jimmy saville.., the french.., gingers.., the list goes on & on....

tut tut! we are not amused.(well, my mother would not be anyway)

MTE1ODA0OTcxNjA1MzI5NDIx.jpg

Now sing the French national anthem, repeat.....6 times.

• Like 2

I think God and nature are intimately intertwined and yes there are no mistakes only process.

Yeah, if a 'mistake' brings about new events , thoughts, or feelings in a reality, is that kind of advancing of experience ever really a 'mistake'? Any thing that is anything happening is an advancement of reality. With this viewpoint, there is no right or wrong in the grand scheme of reality, there is just reality, an ever existing everything. If there is a grand source to everything, that's what we'd call God.

Another point is that any event, no matter how wrong, right, or anywhere in-between (which all come down to personal opinion anyway) has reactive outcomes that also involve comparing and contrasting events of wrong, right, and anywhere in-between. Wrongs born from rights, and vice versa. This is an example of a negative learning from a positive and reacting, and vice versa. Can a constant learning process (whether you find it negative or positive) ever be considered a mistake?

You can see this 'God' as constantly asking questions. And contrary to popular belief, I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question, when the answer is unknown to the questioner.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

tut tut! we are not amused.(well, my mother would not be anyway)

MTE1ODA0OTcxNjA1MzI5NDIx.jpg

Now sing the French national anthem, repeat.....6 times.

Actually, ol'Charlie there was nearly one of our greatest friends...He tried his very best to keep the UK from joining the EU!

The EU? Now there's a mistake worthy of a truly magnificent deity!

Actually, ol'Charlie there was nearly one of our greatest friends...He tried his very best to keep the UK from joining the EU!

The EU? Now there's a mistake worthy of a truly magnificent deity!

I think Britain would be crazy to remove itself from the EU! United we stand, divided we fall, Britain is too small to stand alone nowadays, imo.

• Like 1

of course god makes mistakes, hitler, bin laden, to name a few

Does God actually create each thing, person, instance individually like the old stories of Zeus moving game pieces around a giant map? It seems like most people in this thread believe that way. I always found that belief or assumption to be a bit silly myself.

I don't know the Christian biblical perspective on that, nor the belief of any other religion that has one God. Which one are you talking about here anyway? A specific one, or just people's individual idea of what God is?

I don't believe whatever God is out there to be akin to a fairy godfather/mother type that has his/her fingers in every birth, natural disaster, decision etc. As I see it, there are no mistakes because everything is just chance and chemical reactions.

of course god makes mistakes, hitler, bin laden, to name a few

What? Those were his biggest followers.
  • Like 1

No, I don't think God makes mistakes. However, so as to not open myself to criticism, I'm not going to expand on this, I don't want to spend the next three pages discussing why people think I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Does God actually create each thing, person, instance individually like the old stories of Zeus moving game pieces around a giant map? It seems like most people in this thread believe that way. I always found that belief or assumption to be a bit silly myself.

Some of us do not believe there is a god and the mistakes are all man made, sorry, but please do not include me in the "most people " bit. :tu:

According to the creation story of the Yoruba people of Africa he was drunk on palm wine while he was making some people and they came out with disabilities.

Obatala created people with disabilities while drunk on palm wine, making him the patron deity of such people. People born with congenital defects are called eni orisa: literally, "people of Obatala"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatala

I sure this will open some criticism form someone as not everyone will agree with and there be the trolls who will smell out the difference of opinion. Agree humanity is a mistake along with the free will given . Surprisingkly no responsibility is taken on the choices and actions taken instead blame falls on someone else. Excluding nature, most pain and suffering within this world results from the choices and actions of others and yet all liability must fall upon a divine being believed not to exist.

Concern yourself more with accepting responsibility than with assigning blame. Let the possibilities inspire you more than the obstacles discourage you.

Ralph Marston

Edited by gatekeeper32

No, I don't think God makes mistakes. However, so as to not open myself to criticism, I'm not going to expand on this, I don't want to spend the next three pages discussing why people think I'm wrong.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Sounds to me like an admission of error.

http://www.bible.ca/...sis-18-1-33.htm

I do not agree with the above link put post it for an alternate position that God never makes a mistake.

Anyone who understands the truth about God knows that God does not make mistakes. Not a one. Never.

But that is not to say that it does not appear to us that sometimes maybe He has. But it is our perspective that is limited, while God's is infinite. In the final analysis, the mistake will always be ours, due to our limited knowledge and wisdom (Job 42:1-3; Isaiah 55:8,9).

If you were to think that only people that were unbelievers, or perhaps with only very weak faith, would ever question God's decisions, plans or deeds, you would be wrong. In fact, the foremost example of faith in the Bible is that of Abraham. But sometimes, even Abraham had questions in his mind about whether God was doing the right thing.

He handled his puzzlement correctly. He was, after all, a man of great faith. He did not foolishly charge God, or mock Him, or rebel against Him, or curse Him. That is what many have done, and are doing, even today. But he did have some serious questions. I think, if we were to admit it, we would all have to say the same thing. Sometimes it is difficult for us to understand why God did this or didn't do that. That puts us in the company of Abraham, as long as we handle our puzzlement the same way he did. We continue to live by faith even when we do not perceive all of the answers. Being in the company of Abraham is being in pretty good company.

Edited by libstaK

Sounds to me like an admission of error.

As I said, I didn't expand on my comment in order to ensure I didn't spend the next few pages arguing why I believed as I do. However, had I chosen to write a detailed response, I'd have included a note that the Flood narrative was allegorical, not literal history, so anything God is alleged to have said in this section is not necessarily historically accurate. So thank you for commenting, but again I'll simply reiterate that God, in my estimation is perfect, incapable of making mistakes.

Best wishes,

~ Regards, PA

The bible says he is perfect that is everyone but himself. God does not say he is perfect. Jesus told us to be as perfect as god is, which also seems to indicate that god is not perfect. So that seems to say that he is not perfect. In the story of David, god delivers Saul into his hands three times and David refuses to kill Saul. God then tells David that he had been more riotous than god had been.

The belief is if god does evil the universe would cease to exist. But, does that mean he makes no mistakes?

Edited by danielost