Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Get Over It’: Climate Change Is Happening

questionmark

My thoughts on that pdf, btw. If they are recalculating the old research on the oldest hottest spot on earth, maybe the research in the pdf needs to be reassessed as well.

The point of that paper is not that it made a specific prediction which has been shown to be not totally accurate. The point is that the role of CO2 in climate was well understood over a hundred years ago, and this was derived on empirical evidence and first principles physics/chemistry. It would take a very convincing argument to discredit this connection between climate and atmospheric CO2 at this stage and the DENIERS have failed repeatedly to make such a case despite over a decade of trying.

Br Cornelius

I don't really think they were factual errors. And you assume I need to have some sort of credibility. Credibility here is a scam. Credibility is not controllable, because there are always people like you that, no matter what the research would indicate, will always take a stance of dubious slant. I have no interest whatsoever in crediblity that someone else dispenses.

I don't believe I made any mistakes and you are the only one saying that I have. And I am not really all that interested in real discussion with you because your mind is made up, while I respect the fact that you have that stance. You do not afford me the same respect, and thus the discussion will never ever take place on the terms that YOU alone are making entirely without my input.

I have had quite a bit of science behind me as well, which is why I appreciate going daily go to research release sites.

And you are NOT a scientist if you cannot take an objective look at the data. There are scientists, as we all know, that cook the data. Are you one of those scientists? I certianly wonder about it. A scientist is objective, first and foremost. I don't read objectivity in your posts. Is it there?

If there is research from 100 years ago that has to be reassessed due to math inaccuracies, it stands to reason that many resarch issuances made at that time will have to be reassessed, including the pdf posted here. I have yet to read it. And when I do, I doubt I reflect to you that I have. I answer to no one, least of all, you.

Regeneratia, When you are capable of acknowledging that you have made a factual error, such as you did with your claims about the ice age and the planetary warming around the solar system, you will have shown that you are here to learn from your mistakes and then a real discussion can begin. If you can acknowledge that you are mistaken in the evidence you are basing your overall position on - it would then be credible to believe that you might be persuaded that your overall position is wrong.

Until that time you need no help in making yourself look ridiculous.

By the way I am a scientist and have researched climate science in an informed but informal way for over 5years now. I started out very much like yourself, a sceptic, but the more I read the more I realized that the science is more than sound.

Br Cornelius

Edited by regeneratia

You should spend a little time educating yourself as to what Agenda 21 actually is and how an international treaty actually works.

Br Cornelius

You really are into attack, aren't you? I person cannot have a say if it opposes you. You and people like you are the very reason why this site is not a discussion site, but merely an outlet for flamers, those like yourself.

Lay off. You are starting to appear ... hmmm, let's let the other decide for themselves.

Facts are not actually open to opinion - they are debatable on there own terms and as such they are either right or wrong or not yet decided. My opinion has nothing to do with it - at all. My position is based upon the facts. I pointed out at least two of your factual errors and would like you to explain how those factual errors have a baring on your overall position.

Do not assume that I have not looked at the evidence in some detail. What I have done as well is look at each denialist arguing point (which you have referenced without supporting evidence) and decided on its likelyhood based on the supporting evidence. All fail to make any sort of credible case. The climate scientist I have read all make a coherent and increasingly robust set of interlocking arguments which leave me in absolutely no doubt of the role of CO2 and man in climate change. The same cannot be said of the incoherent and conflicting set of ideas espoused by the denialists.

You should look into what a scientific debate is before trying to engage in one.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

You really are into attack, aren't you? I person cannot have a say if it opposes you. You and people like you are the very reason why this site is not a discussion site, but merely an outlet for flamers, those like yourself.

Lay off. You are starting to appear ... hmmm, let's let the other decide for themselves.

What exactly is an international treaty. Ultimately who has responsibility for enforcing an international treaty.

You will find it is national Governments who form, debate and police international treaties.

National Governments have the right to ignore international treaties and to withdraw from them without notice.

In the case of Agenda 21 it is a treaty which sets out guidelines as to how planning can be carried out in a sustainable way. The UN or any international body has no right under it to enforce certain behaviours from its signatories.

It has been in effect for over 20yrs and I think you will find that gradually planning guidance is slowly coming into line with its ideas - where it suits the interests of the signitory nations - this is the way with all international treaties.

It doesn't represent some big bad agenda of the UN to grab national sovereignty.

Br Cornelius

You're saying that man caused global warming?

Absolutely.

Please. The idea is ludicrous, and unsupportable.

Maybe if you'd make a small effort to educate yourself on the topic, you wouldn't sound so ridiculous. Don't be so d-----d lazy.

Doug

• Like 1

Absolutely.

Maybe if you'd make a small effort to educate yourself on the topic, you wouldn't sound so ridiculous. Don't be so d-----d lazy.

Doug

Even a cursory bit of research into the history of CFC's will show that MIDs arguing position, that man could never influence the climate, will show how off the ball he really is. Let us not forgot also that CFC's did their nasty work at concentrations about a thousandth of that of current CO2 levels.

Of course I have found MID is very shy of entering into a discussion of the actual science.

Br Cornelius

In a technical and research sense, facts cannot be found on this site. We can only get reports and opinions.

A fact is something you can see, touch and expeience first person. I seriously doubt many of us here are positioned to be able to experience and ascertain facts. However, reports are things that are said to have happened, said to be considered to be fact by someone else who may have or may not have experienced the original copy of pdfs, and so on.

And of course, we all know what opinions are. Sometimes opinions are mistaken for fact or report, but that is not the case.

To be safe, I disclaim all things I write, with no pretense whatsoever that I am repeating facts. I do however link to reports.

I think it is important with regards to anthropomorphic influences on the environment that we are only getting reports and opinions. They are not proof of fact.

Again, I contend that I sit on the fence regarding climate change and man's influence on it. I have always believed in the cycles of the sun. And the sun's influence on climate continues to be the heaviest. I do however agree with the remedies to anthropomorphic climate change for far different reasons.

http://www.redorbit....jection-092912/

Sun Unleashes Benign Coronal Mass Ejection,

http://www.redorbit....ves-sun-092812/

Shockwaves From Sun Helped To Shape Solar System

I keep up with the events of the sun here: http://www.solarham.net/ They seem to be far faster at reporting than NOAA.

For some reason, there is a lot of questionable need to convince me otherwise. I can not be influenced via this forum.

Edited by regeneratia

For some reason, there is a lot of questionable need to convince me otherwise. I can not be influenced via this forum.

An inability to admit that you have made a mistake in your beliefs is the very essence of a closed mind.

If you don't want to enter into a discussion of facts do not be surprised when others are - and they point out your errors. The audience is not just you and falsehoods unchallenged propagate like a plague.

Br Cornelius

In a technical and research sense, facts cannot be found on this site. We can only get reports and opinions.

This is no surprise.

A fact is something you can see, touch and expeience first person. I seriously doubt many of us here are positioned to be able to experience and ascertain facts.

That would depend on the "facts." I have physical possession of the entire core collection that produced the Ouachita Chronology (I was the one who wrote that "report;" publication pending.). My "report" is a peer-reviewed research article. I have personally examined the original cores from the McCurtain County, Lake Winona, Hot Springs and Drury House Chronologies, the data from which is available at NASA's tree ring website. The "facts" derived from these are lists of ring-width measurements and observations of microscopic wood anatomy, such as fire scars, frost rings and weather-induced false rings. My article is merely descriptive of the chronology. It summarizes the quality of the dataset and does not attempt any analyses. Are these "facts?"

Two additional papers I am now working on will analyze that data to determine a means of identifying major winter storms from the forest's growth response. That involves some statistical analyses and interpretation. The method I developed works with 85 to 100% accuracy, but does not actually get to 100% (almost, but not quite). Are these "facts?"

One of those papers will be a tree-ring record of severe storms and some droughts going back to 1750. This was Choctaw territory at that time. France still claimed it, but the Choctaws had possession of the land. Some of the storms I have identified match up with Indian legends, such as the "Resting Summer" of 1855, the "Noahkian Flood" of 1862, the "Snow Winter" of 1881 and the great storm of 1886. The more-recent ones match up with Weather Bureau and National Weather Service data. And there are many storms I cannot match to any record, mostly because that far back, there are no records. Are these "facts?" At any rate, my records are more complete and before 1959, more accurate than the National Weather Sevice. Again, these will be peer-reviewed papers and will be submitted for review this fall.

However, reports are things that are said to have happened, said to be considered to be fact by someone else who may have or may not have experienced the original copy of pdfs, and so on.

I do not have direct experience of "the Mother of All El Ninos" which occurred in 1791 and 1792, but they show up in my tree-ring records. But I can look at the tree rings affected and see the result (The widest rings in the whole chronology.). The important thing in tree ring research is that somewhere somebody has the original cores and you can go back to those and double-check his work. Also, you can go into the woods, increment borer in hand, and collect your own sample. The work can be replicated if someone is so inclined.

Also, you can compare your results with what other people are getting. Don't put all your faith in one paper. Dave Stahle (tree ring and climate researher) reports that 1833 was the wettest year on record for the American South. That's not what my rings show: I show 1791 and 1792 tied for that honor; I show 1833 as a perfectly-ordinary year. Why the difference? Speculation: maybe it's because my datasets come from farther west, on the edge of the Great Plains. This location may be more sensitive to El Nino effects. Further research will be needed to determine the cause. Some graduate student has his work cut out for him.

And of course, we all know what opinions are. Sometimes opinions are mistaken for fact or report, but that is not the case.

That's why we post our sources. In research, only peer-reviewed material is acceptable (Well, I once referred to a comment in an unjuried book by a distinguished researcher.). Not even a poster presented at a professional meeting is acceptable because it is not peer-reviewed (But a peer-reviewed extended abstract based on that poster is acceptable.).

To be safe, I disclaim all things I write, with no pretense whatsoever that I am repeating facts. I do however link to reports.

The links you have posted are to popular-literature sites. Those don't cut it in research.

You will notice that most research articles are loaded with caveats. That's because we never know Absolute Truth. However tiny the risk of error, it is always there and something we must live with. This is so well known that even when it is not expressed, it is assumed.

I think it is important with regards to anthropomorphic influences on the environment that we are only getting reports and opinions. They are not proof of fact.

Research papers are the best information available. Most are written in the format: This is what I did. This is what I observed. This is what I think is the cause. They do not actually say what Ultimate Truth may be. It is very obvious what the author's opinion is, but the reader must make up his own mind. If he's wrong, he then takes personal responsibility for the mistake; you can't blame it on the author you're quoting.

And there is no such thing as "proof" in science. All you will ever get is science's best current understanding. That understanding is tentative pending the outcome of future studies. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PROOF.

Again, I contend that I sit on the fence regarding climate change and man's influence on it. I have always believed in the cycles of the sun. And the sun's influence on climate continues to be the heaviest. I do however agree with the remedies to anthropomorphic climate change for far different reasons.

http://www.redorbit....jection-092912/

Sun Unleashes Benign Coronal Mass Ejection,

http://www.redorbit....ves-sun-092812/

Shockwaves From Sun Helped To Shape Solar System

I keep up with the events of the sun here: http://www.solarham.net/ They seem to be far faster at reporting than NOAA.

That's because they are more willing to accept mistakes than NOAA is. It takes time to check your material and some people aren't willing to take the time.

Junk these sites (the ones you posted, as well as UM). Read the research. Do your own research. Then make up your own mind. That's how it's supposed to be done.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

Even a cursory bit of research into the history of CFC's will show that MIDs arguing position, that man could never influence the climate, will show how off the ball he really is. Let us not forgot also that CFC's did their nasty work at concentrations about a thousandth of that of current CO2 levels.

Of course I have found MID is very shy of entering into a discussion of the actual science.

Br Cornelius

:w00t:

Actually, what you have found is that MID long ago trashed arguments supporting man-made global warming. the very idea that the microscopic presence of man on the surface of this world--a world that is fully capable of cleaning itself up nicely, and does so annually...multiple times, a world that can destroy population centers in a day--could be influenced by the puny resence of man on the planet's surface, and his activities--is as ludicrous as the idea that man will change the rotation of the planet, or the character of it's climate, by it's puny actions!

It's just that when people like you encounter people like me, and others, who know things, you demean them, dress them down, and tell them they're wrong.

The only problem is, people like me have very little time for people who are like you....people who don't recognize the politically-driven agenda that populates the global warming mentality

The only problem you actually have is this:

You CAN'T MAKE ME FEEL BAD. I know what I'm talking about. You don't.

Therefore, I say to you, and those like you:

Believe what you want! I prefer to know things. There's a difference.

Several decades from now, people will be laughing at you, and Al Gore, just like they were laughing at all the ice agers a while back. A couple decades make a huge difference in general peception.

I don't care about your cause at all. Wasting my time on a other detailed response would be stupid. It's been done. It won't make you go away. It should've, but your belief is strionger than the knowledge of people who specialize in the field....here anyway.

You're just irritated because you now know there are others with me, and they're becoming more vocal here.

You have a hard time with that, which is fully understandable... :yes:

:w00t:

Actually, what you have found is that MID long ago trashed arguments supporting man-made global warming.

I must have missed that one. Could you repost your evidence so we can all get a good look at it?

Just what alternative explanations do you have for increasing CO2, increasing temperature and miriad human environmental impacts?

the very idea that the microscopic presence of man on the surface of this world--a world that is fully capable of cleaning itself up nicely, and does so annually...multiple times, a world that can destroy population centers in a day--could be influenced by the puny resence of man on the planet's surface, and his activities--is as ludicrous as the idea that man will change the rotation of the planet, or the character of it's climate, by it's puny actions!

Do you have something with which to support your wild-eyed claim? I say "wild-eyed claim" because without a hypothesis, supporting evidence and tests, that is all you have.

It's just that when people like you encounter people like me, and others, who know things, you demean them, dress them down, and tell them they're wrong.

If you actually know something about climate, please share it. Right now, you are the one trying to dress down people, tell them they're wrong and "trash" the theory without presenting anything that supports your ideas, or even makes it seem like you know what the issues are.

The only problem is, people like me have very little time for people who are like you....people who don't recognize the politically-driven agenda that populates the global warming mentality

I think this one cuts both ways. I am really tired of spending a lot of time looking up references for people who don't even read them and could easily find the articles themselves.

Several decades from now, people will be laughing at you, and Al Gore, just like they were laughing at all the ice agers a while back. A couple decades make a huge difference in general peception.

If you actually knew what you are talking about, you'd know that Al Gore is not a climate scientist. He hasn't discovered anything. He has never published a research paper. He got a Nobel Prize for a PowerPoint and hasn't done anything since then. He's history, an irrelevant footnote.

And about that ice age business back in the 60s and 70s: no such thing appeared in any scientific journal that I am aware of. It was entirely made up by popular press writers who misunderstood the science. The entire dip in temps lasted less than fifteen years, half the time needed to register as a change in climate.

I don't care about your cause at all. Wasting my time on a other detailed response would be stupid. It's been done. It won't make you go away. It should've, but your belief is strionger than the knowledge of people who specialize in the field....here anyway.

Which of the climate sciences do you specialize in?

MID, I'd like to see you post some references. If they're refereed, I promise to read them.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

Weird: Wichita Temps Jump 20 Degrees At Midnight

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/...l#ixzz1OoDGFlBD

If you're interested in sudden temperature changes, Oklahoma City set both its all-time high and all-time low on the same day: November 11, 1911. It was caused by the arrival of a blue norther. I don't recall the temperature run, but it was more than 80 degrees.

As someone who has worked with these old records, I would guess that somebody forgot to read the thermometer for a day or two, then tried to wing it. It isn't hard to figure out when someone is goofing off. Two examples: The Cold Springs, Arkansas record has a lot of precip measurements that end in a multiple of 0.05". Somebody thought careful readings were too much effort. If you igore this detail, however, the readings correlate with other nearby stations, so he (or she) was reading the gauge.

The temperature and precip readings at Hee Mountain, Oklahoma are missing during planting and harvesting seasons. Also, the record high and record low temps are missing (determined by comparison with other nearby stations). The guy was a farmer and had other work to do during parts of the year. Also, when it was really hot, or really cold, he just didn't feel like going out. At Hee Mountain, the records are so bad that they are unusable. Mena and Booneville, Arkansas have unbroken records over more than 30 years each. Mena has two six-month gaps in 115 years. There are good records and bad records.

Calculations of 100 years ago need to be reassessed.

Public release date: 13-Sep-2012

http://www.eurekaler...u-wht091112.php

Arizona State University

World’s hottest temperature cools a bit

Team of meteorologists overturn a reading from 90 years ago and make Death Valley the holder of the world’s hottest temperature

IMAGE: This is a drawing of the Six-Bellini thermometer. Image supplied by Paolo Brenni, President of the Scientific Instrument Commission, and courtesy of Library of the Observatorio Astronomico Di Palermo, Gisuseppe…

Click here for more information.

The sun indeed has some influence on the earth.

Electromagnetic Pulse Could Knock Out U.S. Power Grid

Sept. 13, 2012

By Kedar Pavgi

http://www.nti.org/g...-us-power-grid/

Nextgov.com

Press Release 11-059

Antarctic Icebergs Play a Previously Unknown Role in Global Carbon Cycle, Climate

Passage of icebergs through surface waters changes their physical and biological characteristics

http://nsf.gov/news/...g=NSF&from=news

Tour “Iceberg Alley” in this photo gallery.

Credit and Larger Version

March 25, 2011

View the photo gallery “A Trip Down Iceberg Alley.”

In a finding that has global implications for climate research, scientists have discovered that when icebergs cool and dilute the seas through which they pass for days, they also raise chlorophyll levels in the water that may in turn increase carbon dioxide absorption in the Southern Ocean.

Shall I stop?

You do realize that none of these overturn global warming, don't you?

Doug

And you are NOT a scientist if you cannot take an objective look at the data. There are scientists, as we all know, that cook the data. Are you one of those scientists? I certianly wonder about it. A scientist is objective, first and foremost. I don't read objectivity in your posts. Is it there?

I have been accused on UM (not by you) of not being objective because I did not accept a weird idea that some denialist came up with. What that person didn't realize is that I had studied that very topic several years earlier and reached the opposite conclusion. We keep hearing the same invalid arguments over and over and then get accused of bot being objective when we reject them for the fortieth time. Denialists really need to come up with something to support their ideas.

Ever tried to "cook the books" in a way that won't be detected? Gregor Mendel - remember him? - the monk with the pea garden who discovered genetics - cooked his books. It was a probability study that caught him - his own numbers betrayed him. He was right, but for the wrong reasons. Just for entertainment: off the top of your head try to write down a list of 100 random numbers between one and ten. Bet you can't do it. PM me with your list and I'll test it for you - or test it yourself. I have several dozen statistical tests to detect dry labbing by my field crews.

Doug

While you are on one side of the issue and I sit on the fence between the two, I just have to say that you rock. You are amazing. Off topic so answer in PM: Did you see the recently-released reseach on the tree rings telling much more than the age of the trees? Of course, you know that already.

OK, first of all, research affecting both sides of this debate. I first read about it in Scientific American: MIND. Just did a search for it here and used the first one available.

http://www.startribu...01.html?refer=y

Big science, big pressure, big misconduct? Study finds increase in fraud in research journals

• Article by: SETH BORENSTEIN , Associated Press
  • Updated: October 2, 2012 - 7:01 PM

Recent greenland ice findings: a report:

http://www.redorbit....an-made-100412/

Tracking Methane – Emissions Traced All The Way Back To Roman Times

Meaning that if this report is true, that the greenhouse gas increases weren't just in the last 200 years, but went back as far as two thousand years where greenhouse gasses rose dramatically, then fell after 200 years. Wonder what fossily fuels they were burning then? It could have been coal.

OK, I will try and repond to all your points, even tho I have not had my coffee or tea yet. Tea, I think, this morning. No, coffee.

OK facts: Even if you personally have had your hands on original productions, it will still be a report to me when you tell it to me, since I personally do not have those originals in my own hand. However, if there is one person I trust to tell something closer to truth, it would be you.

Is it true that increasing temps will cause more tree growth? I have seen conflicting data on that. One saying that the warmer temps encourages more tree groth and new starts. While the other data says that warmer temps kill trees.

Is it like the case in yellowstone where they found that the fire was better long term for the overall health of the forests. I have been there twice since the fire. Since I am a photo nut, the photos regarding the two year span shows dramatic changes. Of course, the visits were different times of the year as well. This year, the snow was still on the ground. Again, feedback loops are super-important.

Jeez, I would love to know what you find regarding winter snow storms and tree growth. Would be good to know to maintain our glorious shelterbelts back on the farm, , one half a mile long and six rows deep, where it is now said is home to elk.

Wasn't there a mini-iace age somewhere around that time where people could walk across the Thames? I went to look and found what they think lead up to that mini-ice-age:

Ah come on, eureka-alert is a research embargo site. It is where the news gets it's news. I don't think you can dismiss euraka or alpha so readily. If you are waiting for publications to put them out, good luck. I have the news before you.

I am a huge fan of peer review. Checks and balances. Fuzzy math is everywhere. Too bad our banks aren't peer reviewed.

I agree. Truth is not absolute. That is why I sit on the fence regarding anthropomorphic climate change. The sun reaches solar climax next year. Then I may well lean one way or the other. What I do know is what is happening to my own tree here in the yard. I can water them during the drought. But solar flare after solar flare wilts their leaves.

And I am someone who has been successful in growing bananas in Kansas, with up to 60 plants at one time. This year, I let some of them die off because it would have been quite a struggle to keep them alive during solar max. I mean, far more of a struggle than diggin them up in the fall, storing them inside, and planting them again in the spring.

This is no surprise.

That would depend on the "facts." I have physical possession of the entire core collection that produced the Ouachita Chronology (I was the one who wrote that "report;" publication pending.). My "report" is a peer-reviewed research article. I have personally examined the original cores from the McCurtain County, Lake Winona, Hot Springs and Drury House Chronologies, the data from which is available at NASA's tree ring website. The "facts" derived from these are lists of ring-width measurements and observations of microscopic wood anatomy, such as fire scars, frost rings and weather-induced false rings. My article is merely descriptive of the chronology. It summarizes the quality of the dataset and does not attempt any analyses. Are these "facts?"

Two additional papers I am now working on will analyze that data to determine a means of identifying major winter storms from the forest's growth response. That involves some statistical analyses and interpretation. The method I developed works with 85 to 100% accuracy, but does not actually get to 100% (almost, but not quite). Are these "facts?"

One of those papers will be a tree-ring record of severe storms and some droughts going back to 1750. This was Choctaw territory at that time. France still claimed it, but the Choctaws had possession of the land. Some of the storms I have identified match up with Indian legends, such as the "Resting Summer" of 1855, the "Noahkian Flood" of 1862, the "Snow Winter" of 1881 and the great storm of 1886. The more-recent ones match up with Weather Bureau and National Weather Service data. And there are many storms I cannot match to any record, mostly because that far back, there are no records. Are these "facts?" At any rate, my records are more complete and before 1959, more accurate than the National Weather Sevice. Again, these will be peer-reviewed papers and will be submitted for review this fall.

I do not have direct experience of "the Mother of All El Ninos" which occurred in 1791 and 1792, but they show up in my tree-ring records. But I can look at the tree rings affected and see the result (The widest rings in the whole chronology.). The important thing in tree ring research is that somewhere somebody has the original cores and you can go back to those and double-check his work. Also, you can go into the woods, increment borer in hand, and collect your own sample. The work can be replicated if someone is so inclined.

Also, you can compare your results with what other people are getting. Don't put all your faith in one paper. Dave Stahle (tree ring and climate researher) reports that 1833 was the wettest year on record for the American South. That's not what my rings show: I show 1791 and 1792 tied for that honor; I show 1833 as a perfectly-ordinary year. Why the difference? Speculation: maybe it's because my datasets come from farther west, on the edge of the Great Plains. This location may be more sensitive to El Nino effects. Further research will be needed to determine the cause. Some graduate student has his work cut out for him.

That's why we post our sources. In research, only peer-reviewed material is acceptable (Well, I once referred to a comment in an unjuried book by a distinguished researcher.). Not even a poster presented at a professional meeting is acceptable because it is not peer-reviewed (But a peer-reviewed extended abstract based on that poster is acceptable.).

The links you have posted are to popular-literature sites. Those don't cut it in research.

You will notice that most research articles are loaded with caveats. That's because we never know Absolute Truth. However tiny the risk of error, it is always there and something we must live with. This is so well known that even when it is not expressed, it is assumed.

Research papers are the best information available. Most are written in the format: This is what I did. This is what I observed. This is what I think is the cause. They do not actually say what Ultimate Truth may be. It is very obvious what the author's opinion is, but the reader must make up his own mind. If he's wrong, he then takes personal responsibility for the mistake; you can't blame it on the author you're quoting.

And there is no such thing as "proof" in science. All you will ever get is science's best current understanding. That understanding is tentative pending the outcome of future studies. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PROOF.

That's because they are more willing to accept mistakes than NOAA is. It takes time to check your material and some people aren't willing to take the time.

Junk these sites (the ones you posted, as well as UM). Read the research. Do your own research. Then make up your own mind. That's how it's supposed to be done.

Doug

Edited by regeneratia

The clowns on this site have run off too many posters. I know of a few. They are not worth the time. I generally put them on ignore. People know who they are. But in many ways, I could be considered one of them too.

I think eurekalert is a good site. Been using it since the mid-ninties. Alphagalileo, I don't check that often. And I do see agendas in things like Red Orbit, new Scienetist, and Scienfitic American, so I no longer subscribe to the latter two.

I have been accused on UM (not by you) of not being objective because I did not accept a weird idea that some denialist came up with. What that person didn't realize is that I had studied that very topic several years earlier and reached the opposite conclusion. We keep hearing the same invalid arguments over and over and then get accused of bot being objective when we reject them for the fortieth time. Denialists really need to come up with something to support their ideas.

Ever tried to "cook the books" in a way that won't be detected? Gregor Mendel - remember him? - the monk with the pea garden who discovered genetics - cooked his books. It was a probability study that caught him - his own numbers betrayed him. He was right, but for the wrong reasons. Just for entertainment: off the top of your head try to write down a list of 100 random numbers between one and ten. Bet you can't do it. PM me with your list and I'll test it for you - or test it yourself. I have several dozen statistical tests to detect dry labbing by my field crews.

Doug

There really are good things about the green party. Jill Stein is one of them.

And their protest of this is absolutely great too. This issue is underpublished. Mainstream media is failing us yet again!!!

http://www.enewspf.com/opinion/37046-us-green-party-signs-international-green-statement-against-secret-trans-pacific-partnership-pact.html

US Green Party Signs International Green Statement Against 'Secret' Trans-Pacific Partnership Pact

Public release date: 9-Jul-2012

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-07/jgum-cin070912.php

Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz

Climate in northern Europe reconstructed for the past 2,000 years

The calculations prepared by Mainz scientists will also influence the way current climate change is perceived - Publication of results in Nature Climate Change

An international team that includes scientists from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) has published a reconstruction of the climate in northern Europe over the last 2,000 years based on the information provided by tree-rings. Professor Dr. Jan Esper's group at the Institute of Geography at JGU used tree-ring density measurements from sub-fossil pine trees originating from Finnish Lapland to produce a reconstruction reaching back to 138 BC. In so doing, the researchers have been able for the first time to precisely demonstrate that the long-term trend over the past two millennia has been towards climatic cooling. "We found that previous estimates of historical temperatures during the Roman era and the Middle Ages were too low," says Esper. "Such findings are also significant with regard to climate policy, as they will influence the way today's climate changes are seen in context of historical warm periods." The new study has been published in the journal "Nature Climate Change".

Public release date: 7-Aug-2012, http://www.eurekaler...u-dtn080712.php

Yale University

Diseased trees new source of climate gas

Diseased trees in forests may be a significant new source of methane that causes climate change, according to researchers at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies in Geophysical Research Letters.

-----------------

Solutions I believe will be the biggest influence.

Public release date: 27-Jan-2010

http://www.eurekaler...s-stc012710.php

University of Southampton

Solutions to climate change: Using trees and grasses to capture carbon and produce energy

Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide ramps up aspen growth

... MADISON — The rising level of atmospheric carbon dioxide may be fueling more than climate change. It could also be making ... could also be making some trees grow like crazy. ... most important and widespread deciduous trees.

http://www.eurekaler...w-ggc120109.php- 9.2KB - Public Press Releases

I love the University of Wisc. Madison. What a great college!!

Public release date: 16-Nov-2009

National Science Foundation http://www.eurekaler...f-gsi111309.php

Growth spurt in tree rings prompts questions about climate change

Recent growth in the rings of bristlecone pines in the western U.S. points to warmer temperatures at treeline

The researchers studied bristlecone pines (Pinus longaeva) at three sites in California and Nevada, close to the upper elevation limit of tree growth. The tree-ring record showed wider rings in recent decades, indicating a surge in growth in the second half of the 20th century that was greater than at any time in the last 3,700 years.

"We've got a pretty strong pointer that temperature plays a part in this," said Malcolm Hughes in describing the work. "So the puzzle is, why does it play a part in it for the trees near the treeline and not for those only 300, 400 feet lower down the mountain than them?"

Edited by regeneratia

It is well established that the long term trend was one of cooling - which is what makes the sudden and dramatic upclick in recent times so significant.

You are right to point out that man has been influencing climate for the last 2000 yrs. i say all the evidence points to man influencing the climate for at least 8000yrs. This is predominantly through land use change which meant that vast areas of land were gradually transformed from forest to agriculture - with most of the wood been burnt off. This has atmospheric effects but predominantly works to alter albedo. Agriculture also release significant amounts of carbon which was previously sequestered in the soil.

None of the studies you point to significantly change the issue of anthropogenic climate change, they are simply more refinement.

Br Cornelius

Did you see the recently-released reseach on the tree rings telling much more than the age of the trees?

We've been learning that tree rings record a lot of things. Everything from the arrival of European earthworms in the north woods to the mix of fungi that live on the bark, to severe winter storms, to droughts, to temperature changes. At U. of Arkansas they determined that the trees used for the roof were still growing in the woods four years after the history books say Old Main was finished. Water levels in the Colorado River, the "seven years of famine" that the biblical Joseph dealt with (It was more like four years.), the explosion of Thera/Santorini, the fall of the Egyptian Thirteenth Dynasty, Tamboura and the "Year Without a Summer" - all reflected in tree rings. Maybe even Noah's Flood - didn't cover the whole world, but it affected tree ring widths across the globe.

OK, first of all, research affecting both sides of this debate. I first read about it in Scientific American: MIND. Just did a search for it here and used the first one available.

http://www.startribu...01.html?refer=y

Big science, big pressure, big misconduct? Study finds increase in fraud in research journals

• Article by: SETH BORENSTEIN , Associated Press
  • Updated: October 2, 2012 - 7:01 PM

Scholastic misconduct usually ends the career of the perpetrator. Not something you want to get caught doing. Even lying under oath doesn't usually result in firing.

Recent greenland ice findings: a report:

http://www.redorbit....an-made-100412/

Tracking Methane – Emissions Traced All The Way Back To Roman Times

Meaning that if this report is true, that the greenhouse gas increases weren't just in the last 200 years, but went back as far as two thousand years where greenhouse gasses rose dramatically, then fell after 200 years. Wonder what fossily fuels they were burning then? It could have been coal.

Methane is released by many natural processes. Whenever we get a warm period (C. 250-400 AD), methane release from the oceans and tundras increases. That would happen whether there were people on earth or not. Methane has a residence time in the atmosphere of about ten years before it oxidizes to CO2, so it doesn't hang around. It is a more-powerful greenhouse gas than CO2, but it is also more easily dealt with.

OK facts: Even if you personally have had your hands on original productions, it will still be a report to me when you tell it to me, since I personally do not have those originals in my own hand. However, if there is one person I trust to tell something closer to truth, it would be you.

How about if I post the article when it is accepted for publication? Then you would have the document, or a pdf file of it. Would it be "facts" then? How about if you came down, borrowed my "lab" and re-read the cores yourself? Would those then be "facts?" How about if you repeated my analysis and/or did your own? Would the result be "facts?"

Is it true that increasing temps will cause more tree growth? I have seen conflicting data on that. One saying that the warmer temps encourages more tree groth and new starts. While the other data says that warmer temps kill trees.

Depends on the species. I work with shortleaf pine. Not very temperature-sensitive. There are better species, like oaks, that show temperature changes better. I have done some rough-and-dirty temperature-change calculations from my own data sets, but nothing that I'd care to publish - shortleaf pine works, but not very well.

If a tree is living on a site close to the limits of what it can tolerate, then any change in site conditions - more precip, less precip, warmer temps, cooler temps - will have an effect. If the change moves the tree toward the limit, the growth ring gets narrower; if it moves it away from the limit, it gets wider. Trees in the middle of the susceptibility range may be rather unresponsive to any change.

The pines are more sensitive to CO2 fertilization than they are to temperature. They're much better at recording CO2 levels.

Jeez, I would love to know what you find regarding winter snow storms and tree growth. Would be good to know to maintain our glorious shelterbelts back on the farm, , one half a mile long and six rows deep, where it is now said is home to elk.

I'll post the reference when it's published. Can't do it before then without violating copyrights. Also, the first-of-four is still in peer review and the rest haven't been submitted yet.

Wasn't there a mini-iace age somewhere around that time where people could walk across the Thames? I went to look and found what they think lead up to that mini-ice-age:

Yes there was. Called the Little Ice Age. Apparently caused by a combination of reduced solar irradiance and aerosols from volcanoes. Lots of the deniers try to claim it was caused by solar irradiance and that volcanoes didn't have anything to do with it. Takes statistics to show that BOTH were involved.

Ah come on, eureka-alert is a research embargo site. It is where the news gets it's news. I don't think you can dismiss euraka or alpha so readily. If you are waiting for publications to put them out, good luck. I have the news before you.

Having been at some "newsworthy events" and then read about them in the newspapers left me wondering if the reporter and I had been at the same place. I'm not impressed with popular writing - it's good brain candy, but it's also loaded with mistakes. So you may have it first, but I prefer it right.

The sun reaches solar climax next year. Then I may well lean one way or the other.

Lot of us waiting for that. Should be ineteresting. We may be headed into a solar minimum. That should be interesting too.

And I am someone who has been successful in growing bananas in Kansas, with up to 60 plants at one time. This year, I let some of them die off because it would have been quite a struggle to keep them alive during solar max. I mean, far more of a struggle than diggin them up in the fall, storing them inside, and planting them again in the spring.

I'm going up to Wichita next week. What part of Kansas are you from? I heard Toto got tired of waiting, took the shoes and went home. That's why Dorothy had to have a balloon ride.

Doug

Public release date: 9-Jul-2012

http://www.eurekaler...m-cin070912.php

Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz

Climate in northern Europe reconstructed for the past 2,000 years

The calculations prepared by Mainz scientists will also influence the way current climate change is perceived - Publication of results in Nature Climate Change

An international team that includes scientists from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) has published a reconstruction of the climate in northern Europe over the last 2,000 years based on the information provided by tree-rings. Professor Dr. Jan Esper's group at the Institute of Geography at JGU used tree-ring density measurements from sub-fossil pine trees originating from Finnish Lapland to produce a reconstruction reaching back to 138 BC. In so doing, the researchers have been able for the first time to precisely demonstrate that the long-term trend over the past two millennia has been towards climatic cooling. "We found that previous estimates of historical temperatures during the Roman era and the Middle Ages were too low," says Esper. "Such findings are also significant with regard to climate policy, as they will influence the way today's climate changes are seen in context of historical warm periods." The new study has been published in the journal "Nature Climate Change".

Fine-tuning the system. The long-term trend has been down, but look at what happened since 1908! It took only ninety years to recover the entire drop during the previous 800 years. Sea level changes are a good way to monitor climate. During cooler periods, glaciers grew, taking up water and dropping sea levels, During warmer periods they melted and raised sea levels.

Richard Guyette at the Univeristy of Missouri is trying to assemble a chronology that goes all the way back to the ice age. He's doing it by taking samples from tree trunks that wash out of cut banks along rivers. If you like to play in the mud, this is the job for you. His first project will be a re-creation of El Nino events for the past 12,000 years.

Public release date: 7-Aug-2012, http://www.eurekaler...u-dtn080712.php

Yale University

Diseased trees new source of climate gas

Diseased trees in forests may be a significant new source of methane that causes climate change, according to researchers at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies in Geophysical Research Letters.

I wouldn't call it new. Those Yalies are just now figuring it out. I once took a core from a hollow white oak. The gas pressure inside shot the core out like a bullet. I decided to light the jet to see what happened. Got and eight-inch long flame. I claim the mineral rights on this one! Decay often creates gas pockets inside trees. I doubt that there has been any significant change in methane production from this source since forever. If anything, it has decreased do to the cutting of old-growth forests where this phenomenon is most common.

-----------------

Solutions I believe will be the biggest influence.

Public release date: 27-Jan-2010

http://www.eurekaler...s-stc012710.php

University of Southampton

Solutions to climate change: Using trees and grasses to capture carbon and produce energy

Trees only work because they increase sequestration of soil carbon in the form of roots, fungi, worms and other organisms that like forests and grasslands. But there is only so much area that can be dedictaed to forests and grasslands and when the stand reaches maturity, growth and carbon sequestration stop. Reforestation can help, but it's not the solution to the problem.

][/b]

Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide ramps up aspen growth

... MADISON — The rising level of atmospheric carbon dioxide may be fueling more than climate change. It could also be making ... could also be making some trees grow like crazy. ... most important and widespread deciduous trees.

Aspens are highly-sensitive to diseases, especially bark cankers that flourish under warming conditions. Aspens in the west are in serious trouble because of warming and will not be contributing either building materials or sequestering carbon for much longer. It is feared that Clone Pando, the oldest known living thing, may not survive the warmer conditions it is now faced with.

http://www.eurekaler...w-ggc120109.php- 9.2KB - Public Press Releases

I love the University of Wisc. Madison. What a great college!!

They're probably right about one thing - Wisconsin is cool enough that warming isn't bothering their aspens, yet.

Public release date: 16-Nov-2009

National Science Foundation http://www.eurekaler...f-gsi111309.php

Growth spurt in tree rings prompts questions about climate change

Recent growth in the rings of bristlecone pines in the western U.S. points to warmer temperatures at treeline

The researchers studied bristlecone pines (Pinus longaeva) at three sites in California and Nevada, close to the upper elevation limit of tree growth. The tree-ring record showed wider rings in recent decades, indicating a surge in growth in the second half of the 20th century that was greater than at any time in the last 3,700 years.

"We've got a pretty strong pointer that temperature plays a part in this," said Malcolm Hughes in describing the work. "So the puzzle is, why does it play a part in it for the trees near the treeline and not for those only 300, 400 feet lower down the mountain than them?"

Good question. Malcolm's next research project?

Don't expect trees to absorb the extra CO2 being put out by people. There simply aren't enough of them to get the job done. Their capacity is limited.

A new phenomenon called the "divergence problem" has cropped up in dendrochronology. It appears that since the 1980s trees world-wide have become decoupled from temperature. The correlations between ring-width and temps are getting progressively weaker. Speculation is that extra CO2 in the air is the culprit.

Part of the problem is that we don't have enough good data sets taken since the 1980s to provide information. So people like me are running around the woods, increment borers at the ready. Anyway, just as we are getting good climate data from instruments, we are losing our ability to correlate it with old-growth trees. The solution is probably hidden in the statistics - here we go again!

Doug

Drakeetal2012b.jpg

It is well established that the long term trend was one of cooling - which is what makes the sudden and dramatic upclick in recent times so significant.

the "sudden and dramatic uptick in recent times" is seen at the right side of the graph, and occurs all the time as can be seen from the ice core data above.

Edited by Little Fish

Drakeetal2012b.jpg

the "sudden and dramatic uptick in recent times" is seen at the right side of the graph, and occurs all the time as can be seen from the ice core data above.

Your chart is labeled "GISP2". It's an ice core from Greenland and shows temps at one place in Greenland. It is NOT a chart of global temps. It does not reflect GLOBAL temps. This post is deliberately misleading.

I am at a loss to know why you even posted it as it does not relate to anything currently under discussion - even the rambling one we've been having.

Doug

Your chart is labeled "GISP2". It's an ice core from Greenland and shows temps at one place in Greenland. It is NOT a chart of global temps. It does not reflect GLOBAL temps. This post is deliberately misleading.

how would you measure ancient "global temperature"?
I am at a loss to know why you even posted it as it does not relate to anything currently under discussion - even the rambling one we've been having.

Doug

next time I post, I'll be sure to run it by you for approval.