Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

So is it OK to wear fur now?

mink fur wear peta fur coat

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Not so long ago, it was more acceptable to smoke next to a baby than it was to sport a coat made from fox, mink or chinchilla. Such was public disgust, those who did venture out in a pelt were likely to find themselves deluged with red paint.

But how times have changed. Once taboo, fur is now a regular sight on the catwalk, with labels such as Armani, Temperley and Vionnet using it in their collections.

At the Cheltenham Festival last week, race-goers turned up swathed in expensive mink and raccoon coats, while on the red carpet, A-listers such as Kate Moss and Rihanna are as happy to strike a pose in a fur as they are in lace. So what does that mean for the rest of us? Is fur now OK to wear?

Read more

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,938 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Here in Southeast Louisiana, nutria are a plentiful nuisance. They tend to dig tunnels no matter where they are (even in a city) and undermine the integrity of the land. They are killed for their meat and fur. I've seen a full length nutria coat as beautiful as any other. I have no problems with nutria fur coats.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,585 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Fur never went out of style but I won't buy it. I have occasionally borrowed a fox fur from my sister to wear to formal affairs and I feel guilty wearing it. :blush:

#4    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Animal fur only ever belongs on the animal it came from.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#5    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,271 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Not a big fur fan.  It requires special handling and storage, and can't be cleaned easily.   Why bother when there are easier ways to keep warm?   I know some people think it's glamourous for some reason.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#6    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

I don't like the look of fur, it may be expensive but makes women look cheap.

This tread makes me instanly think about the clip in pet detective:

Posted Image

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

In places like Alaska and Siberia, its understandable for them to wear fur, especially if they hunt the animals to eat, then why not use the fur to keep warm?
Sausages are made up of what can not be sold as a cut, so if it is ok for them not to waste it, then the same should go for fur.

We have the fox thing were people want foxes killed, I do not agree with this because the meat is not used for food, but where meat is used as food then I can not see why the fur or hide can not be made use of.

As for models  or the rich buying it to show off their wealth....NO, that is wrong. Use the fur as a necessity and not a fashion statement!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Follow the money, it's always about money. Governments of "resource rich" countries like Canada and Russia continue to tout the "traditional economies" like trapping. Justin Trudeau, who will most likely by the next Prime Minister was featured with his family draped in furs for his official Christmas card photo.

"Mr. Trudeau's office refused to comment on PETA's fiery reaction to the cards. But spokesman Alex Lanthier says Mr. Trudeau and his family were wearing parkas made by Canada Goose, a Canadian company that has a "sustainable way" of collecting fur."

Ah yes, well as long as it's sustainable, by all means continue to lay out traps which kill indiscriminately.

“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
Brigid Brophy

#9    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I am totally unsure why some animal activists make a huge deal out of fur but not leather. An animal is dying either way.

Tight leather gloves are so cool!

#10    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,720 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm ok with wearing fur. I own a few vintage furs that I have picked up in resale shops over the years. Most of them are more for garb purposes than anything else. I do love wearing my wool with beaver trim coat from the 40's- it's so nice and warm.
I don't buy new fur though, I find it pointless and unnecessary to spend that much money- and usually I find more modern styles really unappealing.

#11    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 21 March 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I am totally unsure why some animal activists make a huge deal out of fur but not leather. An animal is dying either way.

No one's responded to this logical fallacy (tu quoque) so here goes;

#12    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 March 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

In places like Alaska and Siberia, its understandable for them to wear fur, especially if they hunt the animals to eat, then why not use the fur to keep warm?
Sausages are made up of what can not be sold as a cut, so if it is ok for them not to waste it, then the same should go for fur.

We have the fox thing were people want foxes killed, I do not agree with this because the meat is not used for food, but where meat is used as food then I can not see why the fur or hide can not be made use of.

As for models  or the rich buying it to show off their wealth....NO, that is wrong. Use the fur as a necessity and not a fashion statement!!

If you want to wear furs to keep warm, you should wear them inside out, like the Inuit do.

I don't see that happen  very soon on a catwalk.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,076 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

One thing about people who flaunt furs in public is that it doesn't take long for someone to "spill" something nasty on it.

#14    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,293 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

I have a fur cap that I wear.  It keeps my ears warmer than anything else that I have when I have to go feed the horses on cold winter days.

I don't know why they make a big deal out of furs when nothing is said about leather.  Maybe because they like their leather shoes and handbags.

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,076 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

I have trouble as it is rationalizing my Buddhist heritage with eating meat, and now you guys bring up leather and furs and so on.  

Most Buddhists take the command to respect and protect all sentient beings (meaning anything with eyes) as meaning one cannot kill them.  Still, they do -- they have no problem swatting a mosquito (unless they are a really revered monk -- and what mosquito is going to bother him?).  I long ago abandoned that definition of sentience and limited it to animals with pleasure/pain pathways in the brain -- basically mammals.

I have also developed a different take.  When the animal has a better life being raised to be a product than it would have had in the wild, and when the animal is killed with no pain or fear, then I take it this meets the Buddhist precept.  Indeed, one is doing the animal a favor by giving it the karma of help humans.  

But what about animals taken in the wild by hunting?  Justifying this is more difficult.  Obviously the Inuit who must kill to survive, and who does the rituals of his culture and so on is within Buddhist bounds.  In parts of the world where natural controls no longer exist, so that without hunting overpopulation and its ensuing Malthusian suffering would ensue, proper controlled hunting for management purposes seems justified.

Also tagged with mink, fur wear, peta, fur coat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users