The following response is for the benefit of other readers.
Herewith the scenario around the Burckle impact:
1. Scientists from the Holocene Impact Working Group (HIWG) theorize that the Burckle Impact happened in the 3rd millennium BC.
2. They base their theory on the 200 meter high Fenambosy chevron dunes on the Island of Madagascar, some 1500 kilometers from the impact site.
3. The size of the dunes (after 4 to 5 thousand years), the distance from the impact site and the 3800 meter deep location of the impact crater in the Indian Ocean, tells us that the resultant tsunami must have been well over 200 meters high. In fact, these scientists tell us that the Burckle impact had the power of several million nuclear warheads.
4. The force of the impact would most likely have created numerous earthquakes which in turn would have created more tsunamis all around the globe.
5. The size of the initial impact tsunami and the resultant earthquake generated tsunamis would have advance several hundred kilometers, inter alia, up the Indus Valley.
6. It may well be that the impact disturbed the earth’s tectonic plates, which in turn could also have resulted in volcanic eruptions as far away as Greenland (Hekla).
7. Evidence of all of the above is found in numerous paleoclimatic, geological and archaeological records. Dr. Benny Peiser referred to some 500 excavation reports, research papers and scientific abstracts already in 1997. Today there would be many more.
8. Dr. Abbot and Dr Masse are both members of the HIWG but they give different dates for the Burckle Impact. Dr. Abott gives a date of 2500 BC and Dr. Masse’s date is 2800 BC. Clearly, both can be wrong but they cannot both be right.
9. It is generally accepted that the Harappan Urban Civilization in Pakistan was destroyed in ca 2200 BC. As with the Akkadian Empire’s demise around the same time, the increased salt content of the ground around these sites is indicative of sea water inundations which caused or contributed to their demise.
10. If either Dr Abott’s date of 2500 BC (300 years before the demise if these civilizations), or Dr. Masse’s date of 2800 BC (600 years before) is correct, there would not have been a Harappan Urban Civilization or an Akkadian empire to be destroyed in 2200 BC. They would have been destroyed earlier and there would not have been sufficient time to have recovered from an earlier catastrophe and to have developed to the level we find in the archaeological records. The Harrapan Urban Civilization, in any event, never recovered after the 2200 BC event.
11. In addition, if either Dr. Abbot or Dr. Masse is correct, then we must find another cause for the tsunamis that destroyed these civilizations (including China and Egypt). We have an abundance of evidence of global paleo-tsunamis in 2200 BC. What then cause these tsunamis, seismicity, resultant climate change and the 300 year aridification event, etc. etc.?
That, in a nutshell, and without quoting all the other evidence, is why I disagree with both Dr. Abbot’s and Dr. Masse’s dates.