Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lab-grown kidneys transplanted in to rats

Saru

Scientists have succeeded in transplanting a working rat kidney that was grown in a laboratory.

Scientists at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston have fitted rats with kidneys that were grown in a lab from stripped-down kidney scaffolds.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrooma

• Saru

• Ashotep

• keninsc

Pretty soon need a new organ they will grow you one. Hopefully it will keep you from having to take those anti rejection drugs.

Question is, will your insurance pay for it. Odds are they won't on the grounds that you'll just die at some point any way and it's just a waste of money......their's.

I don't think you'll need to worry about insurance for a while as they'll be looking for volunteers but on another note,WOW!!! I never imagined this kind of science in my lifetime

speaking as someone with only one kidney, all i can say is, 'about bloody time!!'

:-)

Amazing! Thanks go to the animals that had to die for this!

i'm not sure any animals WOULD'VE had to die?

the kidneys were grown from stem cells, and a rat can live as easily with one as it can with two until the airfix/mattel one was fitted back in!