Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

upto £300 million NHS bill on tattoo removals

Syd Boggle

Link to Times report.....http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article609160.ece

Times report that in year 2006 almost 200000 tattoos were removed by the NHS, estimated to be at a cost of upto 300 million pounds, although the real figure is unknown!

What is it with young people today? that they feel they need to get tattoos, its seems that tattoos have become such a potent fashion statement that everyone has them, gone are the traditional bulldogs or rose, now we have men with unsightly mouri style patterns all over their arms and shoulders, and women appear to favour ungodly pretentious celtic patterns on their lower back!

is this a new form of Branding?.....seems like every man & women with these tattoos actually think they are being original!

I for one begrudge my Tax money being used by these pseudo rebellious, Fashion lightweights, who cant live with their mistakes, then expect Joe tax payer to sort it out.......

in my humble opinion, any guy i see with these Mouri tattoos is an Uber Moron, and the women with their lower backs tattood look like total Scrubbers..

Edited by lord scrummage

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hill

• Syd Boggle

• Fluffybunny

• Starr Destin Mathews

I have to agree Lord S about the lower back tattoos in fact to be honest I hate to see them... nice to see our hard earned tax money going to good causes..

£300 Million... that is outragous, get them to pay to rectify there own stupid mistakes... I also heard this week that Alcoholics get between £50/£70 pounds per week from the Government to buy Alcohol?

Lol, after reading this incredibly informative post regarding fashion do's and dont's from Uncle Scrooge here, I scrolled down to the bottom of the page to see three advertisements stating Free Tattoos - Desgins, Tattoo and Tattoo designs and photos. Seriously, the world has more problems in it at the moment then tattoo's champ...

But I will agree.. 300 million could well be spent on something of importance...

Edited by Imposter

kinda like the military here paying for boob jobs.

Bigger Breasts for Free: Join the Army

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Army has long lured recruits with the slogan "Be All You Can Be," but now soldiers and their families can receive plastic surgery, including breast enlargements, on the taxpayers' dime.

The New Yorker magazine reports in its July 26th edition that members of all four branches of the U.S. military can get face-lifts, breast enlargements, liposuction and nose jobs for free — something the military says helps surgeons practice their skills.

"Anyone wearing a uniform is eligible," Dr. Bob Lyons, chief of plastic surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio told the magazine, which said soldiers needed the approval of their commanding officers to get the time off....

07/22 05:04 PM

not just the American army either

Free Breast Implants For Any Female That Wants To Be A Happier Soldier

Reuters is reporting that the British army has paid for a small number of female soldiers to have breast enlargements to make them happier, the Ministry of Defense said Thursday.

The official policy is that cosmetic surgery is only to be done if there is an “overriding physical or psychological reason to do so”.

In one case, a 27-year-old corporal underwent the $3,600 operation, courtesy of the armed forces, to make her ``a happier soldier.''

So let me get this straight. Making this woman a "happier soldier" constituted a overriding physical or psychological condition?

I thought that was what therapy was for?

In response to that particular case in question the military spokesperson said that ``This was not done purely on cosmetic grounds, but as a last resort.''.

Apparently, these operations are being performed at the military hospital. Call me naive but I wouldn’t even think you could get breast-enhancement surgery at a military hospital.

http://www.eightballmagazine.com/diatribes...e01/031/626.htm

and of course they still pay 600$ for a toilet seat and 1200 $ for a hammer.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Lol, after reading this incredibly informative post regarding fashion do's and dont's from Uncle Scrooge here, I scrolled down to the bottom of the page to see three advertisements stating Free Tattoos - Desgins, Tattoo and Tattoo designs and photos. Seriously, the world has more problems in it at the moment then tattoo's champ...

But I will agree.. 300 million could well be spent on something of importance...

£300 Million wasted on anything is an important issue, even though there are more problems in the World at this present time, perhaps you would like to try and give us your input on some of them, there are plenty here in "World Events & Current Affairs".

I have a tattoo an i am proud to have gotten one and I would never take it of. those who feel it nessacary to take it of are idiots who got plastered and thought it was cool.

idiots who got plastered and thought it was cool.

so you got drunk and thought "ill get a tattoo" is it a tweety pie bird?

Um I love tattoos I have 11 of them, and I have a lower back tattoo. Getting tattoos for me is something I love, a passion I don't do it for anyone else or because I think it's cool. Just because some people have a tattoo they no longer want isn't a reason to give tattooing a bad name. I would never remove any of the ones I have they mean so much to me.Money could be used for a better cause but that's the way things will always be,but seriously don't insult tattoos just because some people get them then decide they dont want them.

Edited by UndeadDoll

Um I love tattoos I have 11 of them, and I have a lower back tattoo. Getting tattoos for me is something I love, a passion I don't do it for anyone else or because I think it's cool. Just because some people have a tattoo they no longer want isn't a reason to give tattooing a bad name. I would never remove any of the ones I have they mean so much to me.Money could be used for a better cause but that's the way things will always be,but seriously don't insult tattoos just because some people get them then decide they dont want them.

Yes i remember back in the eighties, i had 11 pairs of ripped baggy jeans, i loved that style, then i grew out of them and gave the jeans to the local Tramp who lives in the park......i wear a suit now...

i believe the Tramp down the park now wears a Kappa shell suit

you can't compare tattoos to clothes. The art of tattooing has been around for so long it's not like fashion.For some people tattooing is ceremonial. I see your point, but for instance I have never been like "oh I wanna get some tribal flower twirly thingy on my back" I take time and get tattoos that mean something to me and represent myself. As long as you know yourself and the tattoo is a reflection of you or some moment in your life you should never grow out of it.A lot of people are like oh I'm 18 so I'm gonna get a tattoo because I can, and that is not the right reason to get a tattoo. I started getting tatted when I was 15 and am addicted to it, to the process and the pain. I totally understand what you are saying about people getting silly tattoos and then later wanting them removed, but like I said to some people it is very special and they take it seriously.

I agree the money shouldn't be used for tattoo removal. People should pay for that on thier own. However, I too have a few tattoos and they are not a "fashion statement". It took me ten years to decide on the Eye of Horus I sport on the lower right side of my back. And the Kanji symbols I have on my ankle represent my family. They mean something to me. It's not something I did to be cool, it's something I did for me. If I ever decided I didn't like them I'd pay for the removal myself.

If you don't like tattoos that's fine. But if you took the time to ask those that have tattoos why they have them the majority would tell you that they represent a part of themselves, the tell the story of thier life.

Nice quick easy procedure, put them on waiting list, do it fast and government targets met. Meanwhile old folk who have expensive problems die on dirty trollies in the corridor.

I have a tattoo an i am proud to have gotten one and I would never take it of. those who feel it nessacary to take it of are idiots who got plastered and thought it was cool.

And the idiots should pay for it themselves :)

Feed your passion UndeadDoll :D

But I think you might agree, that asking the NHS to remove a tatoo... at taxpayers expense... is innapropriate.

Meow Purr.

Tattoo removal should be classed as an elective procedure and people should have to pay for it themselves.

Its just ridiculous that the government even considers paying for it.

Plastic surgery isnt free on health schemes so why should tattoo removal be its just a cosmetic thing.

Got 3 tattoos myself.I know lots of people with many tattoos.

I only know one person who had one removed & that was paid for privately. :yes:

Just checked with the wife (everyone she knows has tattoos), & she doesnt know of anyone having one removed at all, let alone on the NHS. :no:

I"d question those figures. :yes:

There was a "fashionable" upturn in young girls getting tattoos.Are they regretting it a couple of years down the line as fashion changes ?

Edit: I just typed in "tattoo removal by the NHS". I dont question those figures anymore.

It"s bloody disgusting. :angry2:

Edited by Rocket88

Nice quick easy procedure, put them on waiting list, do it fast and government targets met. Meanwhile old folk who have expensive problems die on dirty trollies in the corridor.

That sounds about right "Moon Monkey". What a sad state of affairs. :(

There was a "fashionable" upturn in young girls getting tattoos.Are they regretting it a couple of years down the line as fashion changes ?

Yes quite right, the amount of young women i see, who parade themselves in mini skirts & boob tubes, in order to display their celtic type tattoos on their lower backs...

Unfortunately we do live in a world where stereotypes exist, and stereotypes by their very nature hold some truth...

here are the stereotypes

Example A.....The Celtic/Tribal design, mostly found on the lower back of women.....Also known as "The Tramp Stamp"..These women are known to sleep around, although its believed they hold preferences in the exotic...prefer carrabian/west african men, or men with cash..Why would anyone find that a turn on

linked-image

Shot at 2007-08-16

Example B.....The TweetyPie Tattoo, mostly found on women who have absolutely no brains and no control over their own behaviour, can be found in later life with upto 5 kids by different fathers...

linked-image

Example C....The Mauri tattood man, he is generally considered to be Unoriginal, and a bit of an all round Dork

linked-image

Edited by lord scrummage

I have to agree Lord S about the lower back tattoos in fact to be honest I hate to see them... nice to see our hard earned tax money going to good causes..

£300 Million... that is outragous, get them to pay to rectify there own stupid mistakes... I also heard this week that Alcoholics get between £50/£70 pounds per week from the Government to buy Alcohol?

£300 Million wasted on anything is an important issue, even though there are more problems in the World at this present time, perhaps you would like to try and give us your input on some of them, there are plenty here in "World Events & Current Affairs".

And the idiots should pay for it themselves :)

Feed your passion UndeadDoll :D

But I think you might agree, that asking the NHS to remove a tatoo... at taxpayers expense... is innapropriate.

Meow Purr.

Obese people should not get help because they are damaging themselves and it is self inflicted like tattoos. They chose do put weight on, so no knee operations, stomache stapling etc...

And people that do high risk sports that break bones should not get help on the NHS as they chose something likely to cause injury.

Drunken injuries should not be treated as it is the fault of the person.

Come on people.... We all have done something that seemed a good idea, gone very wrong and either caused injury (costing hospital - tax payers), damaged property or hurt someone else.

£300m is a lot of money, but I would guess it is a minute amount compared to other pointless spending.

The answer should be to bring in law that as of Jan 2009, tattoos will not be removed on the NHS giving people time and advising them the longer they leave it..... The more likely they will miss on waiting lists.

kinda like the military here paying for boob jobs.

Bigger Breasts for Free: Join the Army

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Army has long lured recruits with the slogan "Be All You Can Be," but now soldiers and their families can receive plastic surgery, including breast enlargements, on the taxpayers' dime.

The New Yorker magazine reports in its July 26th edition that members of all four branches of the U.S. military can get face-lifts, breast enlargements, liposuction and nose jobs for free — something the military says helps surgeons practice their skills.

"Anyone wearing a uniform is eligible," Dr. Bob Lyons, chief of plastic surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio told the magazine, which said soldiers needed the approval of their commanding officers to get the time off....

07/22 05:04 PM

not just the American army either

Free Breast Implants For Any Female That Wants To Be A Happier Soldier

Reuters is reporting that the British army has paid for a small number of female soldiers to have breast enlargements to make them happier, the Ministry of Defense said Thursday.

The official policy is that cosmetic surgery is only to be done if there is an “overriding physical or psychological reason to do so”.

In one case, a 27-year-old corporal underwent the $3,600 operation, courtesy of the armed forces, to make her ``a happier soldier.''

So let me get this straight. Making this woman a "happier soldier" constituted a overriding physical or psychological condition?

I thought that was what therapy was for?

In response to that particular case in question the military spokesperson said that ``This was not done purely on cosmetic grounds, but as a last resort.''.

Apparently, these operations are being performed at the military hospital. Call me naive but I wouldn’t even think you could get breast-enhancement surgery at a military hospital.

http://www.eightballmagazine.com/diatribes...e01/031/626.htm

and of course they still pay 600$ for a toilet seat and 1200 $ for a hammer.

I dunno, i think thats fair enough if done in a limited manner

something the military says helps surgeons practice their skills.

in my humble opinion, any guy i see with these Mouri tattoos is an Uber Moron, and the women with their lower backs tattood look like total Scrubbers..

Doesn't seem to stop you searching around for pictures of them to post. A little latent ungodliness there?

Doesn't seem to stop you searching around for pictures of them to post. A little latent ungodliness there?

Unfortunately someone has to delve into the murky depths for photo evidence! its not a job i take pleasure in...at all

Yes quite right, the amount of young women i see, who parade themselves in mini skirts & boob tubes, in order to display their celtic type tattoos on their lower backs...

Unfortunately we do live in a world where stereotypes exist, and stereotypes by their very nature hold some truth...

here are the stereotypes

Absolutely correct Lord Scrummage. Dark days indeed.

And we still can't seem to pull Syd out of his seemingly dark deep depression..

linked-image

Shot at 2007-08-16

I have six tattoos, one of my daughters has two, the other daughter has one. None of us are scrubbers and speaking for myself, I have absolutely no intention of having any removed, I do not think I am big for having them done, I like them all and to me they are personal and symbolic. If I did wish to have one or more taken off, I would pay for it myself, if I couldn't afford it I would just have to lump it.

It is well-known that when having a tattoo, it is permanent, removal can be costly and painful.

I have only once in my life known one person to have a tattoo removed by laser, it left discoloured skin where the tattoo had been and this person has to be extremely careful in that area when out in the sun.

here are the stereotypes

Example A.....The Celtic/Tribal design, mostly found on the lower back of women.....Also known as "The Tramp Stamp"..These women are known to sleep around, although its believed they hold preferences in the exotic...prefer carrabian/west african men, or men with cash..Why would anyone find that a turn on

linked-image

Shot at 2007-08-16

Example B.....The TweetyPie Tattoo, mostly found on women who have absolutely no brains and no control over their own behaviour, can be found in later life with upto 5 kids by different fathers...

linked-image

Example C....The Mauri tattood man, he is generally considered to be Unoriginal, and a bit of an all round Dork

linked-image

Wow! You sure have a messed up opinion on those with tattoos! Like I said before, I have two. One happens to be on my lower back. I do not wear clothes that show it off nor am I known to "sleep around". I'm married with two kids, have a university degree and hold a full time position with the federal government. I have a few other friends with lower back tattoos and none of them are tramps.

Again, I agree if you got a tattoo and now regret it, it should be up to you to pay for it's removal. And I'm sure there are those out there that get tattoos because it's the cool thing to do but most of the people I know who have them took a lot of time to decide on what they wanted and where they wanted it. Like I said it took me ten years to decide on what I wanted! And I will be going back on my birthday to add my name in heiroglyphs to the Eye of Horus.

I can't believe you can get tattoos removed on the nhs. this country becomes more unbelievable every day. what next, hair implants? penis enlargement? i have several tattoos and toyed with the designs for a few years before i had each one done. my only regret is that i can't afford to have other designs

i wan't done yet!

FYI i have a tattoo of tweetie pie in sylvester the cats mouth. i've had it about 13 years now and i still love it.