Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US "Friendly fire" kills British troops

secondhand

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oxymoron

• GreyWeather

• The Silver Thong

• aztek

Top Posters In This Topic

very bad. how many US troops are killed in friendly fire incidents by british troops?

none i bet.

very bad. how many US troops are killed in friendly fire incidents by british troops?

none i bet.

I think it's time to come home boys..

none i bet.

There are a lot of factors that go into how friendly fire accidents happen. Style of combat, ratio of troops, fluid battlefield with constantly changing and moving targets. Everyone wants the easy way out by passing blanket judgement that this group or that group are trigger happy; it isn't right or fair. Friendly fire happens both ways, specially in the kind of combat we are in now. Wars have always had a lot of friendly fire incidents, it is just a matter of fact as unfortunate as it may be. When battles are as mobile as they are now and US troops outnumber Brits by a large percentage it is always going to be a bigger number caused by the US troops. Looking at some of the last incidents, they were caused by aircraft attacking ground targets and Brits getting caught in the crossfire. Horrible, but admittedly it is a bit tough to keep 100 percent of your ordenance exactly where it is supposed to go. During desert storm there were US tanks hit by US helicopters simplky because the tanks were not exactly where they were supposed to be and were misidentified in the darkness. It was very sad to see.

It bothers me when folks make assumptions about these accidents. US troops work very hard to avoid casualties all the way around, but bad things happen unfortunately.

Always reports of friendly fire involving Americans killing brits, strange............... but very unfortunate.

I guess it happens the other way round, however i have never heard any of those reports, anyone else heard of it?

Just heard this on the radio now. It's a shame that they were stupid enough to go blue on blue, but if they waited to see if they were friendly or hostile, it could have been too late if they were enemies.

kids and machine guns=accidents...were at the stage in this war; were most the casualties are being caused by accidents and friendly fire..it's time to end the war..

Poor soldiers. R.I.P.

Accidents will happen.

Just heard this on the radio now. It's a shame that they were stupid enough to go blue on blue, but if they waited to see if they were friendly or hostile, it could have been too late if they were enemies.

However, Britain haven't killed any Americans... So that logic isn't all that grand :hmm: .

Oh!

Also when US fighter jets ask for permission to drop their bombs as well as asking if any 'friendlies' are present, the command centre are eagerly giving permission for them to fire. Without doing a quick 30 second check of their allies whereabouts. There was a clip of an American pilot - in the cockpit -on TV news a month or so back.

Heck... A squadran who returned a a month ago were on about the US soldiers not even keeping their safety catches on their guns. One US soldier accidently fired a grenade - because his safety catch wasn't on... Luckily no one was injured. If you can't put a safety catch on, don't even join the army (It's simple to take off the safety switch when running to shoot the enemy). Some (yes some) US soldiers are badly trained.

The three deaths on Thursday mean the total number of UK troops killed while on operations in Afghanistan since 2001 has risen to 73. Fifty have been killed in action.

:no:

Pull out now lads!

Edited by Chokmah

Its one of the problems with multinational forces, a lack of coordination is natural in such circumstance. You know why the Americans are responsible for friendly fire incidents because they are the ones in the skies, the BRitish do not have an airforce precence,

us also has friedly fire casualtys, in most cases they are killed by their own forces, that is why you don,t hear it on the news a lot, a few years ago a us solger in afgan calledin a bomber on his own gps coordinates, a mistake , costly mistake, btw a lot of casualties happen in peice time in traning, on us soil.

That is true the Brit's havn't killed any Americans and guess what Canadians havn't either but the friendly fire so called accidents happen all the time. Funny it's never an American though. How many Canadians have the Americans killed or wounded since the Afgan war started. One pilot killed 6 and wounded many and it goes on and on.

us also has friedly fire casualtys, in most cases they are killed by their own forces, that is why you don,t hear it on the news a lot, a few years ago a us solger in afgan calledin a bomber on his own gps coordinates, a mistake , costly mistake, btw a lot of casualties happen in peice time in traning, on us soil.

Ya that football player LOL the only one I heard of.

That is true the Brit's havn't killed any Americans and guess what Canadians havn't either but the friendly fire so called accidents happen all the time. Funny it's never an American though. How many Canadians have the Americans killed or wounded since the Afgan war started. One pilot killed 6 and wounded many and it goes on and on.

The Americans need to learn how to be soldiers... They're like the kid who the taliban give guns to, "Pull the trigger, that's all you need to do and know". Except these kids have bigger bombs...

23 British soldiers killed by Americans... Yet, no Americans killed by the Canadian or British troops. Me t'inks Canadian and British troops are better trained in land-warfare and understand how to make sure who your enemies are and where your allies are.

Ya they killed a bunch of Canadians too. I'm starting to think there not accidents.

Ya they killed a bunch of Canadians too. I'm starting to think there not accidents.

Yeah we never forgave Canada for not joining the Revolution and becoming I always wanted 51 stars on the flag.

The Americans need to learn how to be soldiers... They're like the kid who the taliban give guns to, "Pull the trigger, that's all you need to do and know". Except these kids have bigger bombs...

23 British soldiers killed by Americans... Yet, no Americans killed by the Canadian or British troops. Me t'inks Canadian and British troops are better trained in land-warfare and understand how to make sure who your enemies are and where your allies are.

I dont remember you saying that when Patton was their saving your butts. I guess you guys train to give up with out a fight. Our Marines would never be humiliated like that by the Iranians. Oh they got some goody bags and now they can write a book great training. I guess you train how not to fight. I remember how the British barely beat the Argentinians who wopped couple of your warships talk about great training. Ohh is part of your training beating up civilians? OR goin full blast into a civilian zone because one of your buddies was in jail, great training.

its good to see the usual r******s coming out of the woodwork to take shots at US troops

friendly fire has been part of the battlefield since the slingshot

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,922141,00.html

oh look i guess this makes British troops unprofessional children with guns who have no business doing what they do

There are a lot of factors that go into how friendly fire accidents happen. Style of combat, ratio of troops, fluid battlefield with constantly changing and moving targets. Everyone wants the easy way out by passing blanket judgement that this group or that group are trigger happy; it isn't right or fair. Friendly fire happens both ways, specially in the kind of combat we are in now. Wars have always had a lot of friendly fire incidents, it is just a matter of fact as unfortunate as it may be. When battles are as mobile as they are now and US troops outnumber Brits by a large percentage it is always going to be a bigger number caused by the US troops. Looking at some of the last incidents, they were caused by aircraft attacking ground targets and Brits getting caught in the crossfire. Horrible, but admittedly it is a bit tough to keep 100 percent of your ordenance exactly where it is supposed to go. During desert storm there were US tanks hit by US helicopters simplky because the tanks were not exactly where they were supposed to be and were misidentified in the darkness. It was very sad to see.

It bothers me when folks make assumptions about these accidents. US troops work very hard to avoid casualties all the way around, but bad things happen unfortunately.

no disrespect to antone but you haven't really answered my question.

none i bet.

how many British troops are there on the ground? wasn't it like 10,000 at its peak?

the US has 16 times that

sorry to sound callous but 23 friendly fire deaths is a nothing number, its tiny

Edited by bathory

don't anyone get me wrong. i'm not knocking american troops, just their training.

one example-US troops are issued with disposable magazines. british troops have refillable magazines(trained to make every shot count).

when i was training with the territorial army, the sergeants were forever telling us not to do things the american way. i.e; like rambo, spraying bullets, firing one handed etc.

maybe a cultural thing.

its good to see the usual r******s coming out of the woodwork to take shots at US troops

friendly fire has been part of the battlefield since the slingshot

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,922141,00.html

oh look i guess this makes British troops unprofessional children with guns who have no business doing what they do

A single tank round took the turret off the tank in the misdirected attack, which happened on Monday in pitch darkness.

:tu:

The US killed 23 British soldiers in broad daylight.

don't anyone get me wrong. i'm not knocking american troops, just their training.

one example-US troops are issued with disposable magazines. british troops have refillable magazines(trained to make every shot count).

when i was training with the territorial army, the sergeants were forever telling us not to do things the american way. i.e; like rambo, spraying bullets, firing one handed etc.

maybe a cultural thing.

I dont think you realize that Rambo was a movie.

how many British troops are there on the ground? wasn't it like 10,000 at its peak?

the US has 16 times that

sorry to sound callous but 23 friendly fire deaths is a nothing number, its tiny

Compared to the number of Canadian and British friendly fire-killings on Americans, it's a big number.