Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evidence Of Drinkable Water On Mars

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,381 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

Ok it sounds great doesnt it but thats just the headline....

Nasa Finds Evidence Of Drinkable Water On Mars

Nasa scientists say their Opportunity rover has made new discoveries about early water on Mars which may have been drinkable.

The unmanned solar-powered vehicle, described as "arthritic" as it nears 10 years since its launch, has just analysed what may be its oldest rock ever, known as Esperance 6.

It contains evidence that potentially life-supporting water once flowed in abundance, leaving clay minerals behind.

http://uk.news.yahoo...81.html#qBsMFkq

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

The Multi Purpose Donkey

• 24,244 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

Well, with this, and we know that it had a breathable atmosphere at one time*, then this surely is proof that it once had life. I don't know how much longer they can continue to hide the truth from us. :innocent:

* breathable by someone, I dare say, even if not by us

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

The headline is rather misleading. Yes there may have been drinkable water on Mars in the past, but now it's a veritable planet-wide dust bowl.

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,381 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I still think its an important and intriguing discovery, remember ...it is 'just' a mechanical and old rover up there, amazing it still works to be honest.. and yes we all want to know about life up there, but lets give the new rover time!!!  How much could you 'explore' and learn about if you moved just a few meters a day?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#5    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,480 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Indeed, I think the Mars rovers, past, present and future, will discover things(such as ancient marine fossils/micro-fossils) that will amaze us all.

That's my hope, anyway.

#6    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postpallidin, on 08 June 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Indeed, I think the Mars rovers, past, present and future, will discover things(such as ancient marine fossils/micro-fossils) that will amaze us all.

That's my hope, anyway.
They either wont investigate such things, or wont let us know about them. They have not shown the public any interest in unusual objects so far. They have set objectives, drilling rocks and digging clay. They stick to these.

#7    curious24

curious24

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

After seeing some of the evidence on Mars, I agree with Colonel Rhuairidh. I believe Mars was our home at one time.  maybe Mars is a warning.

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,035 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 08 June 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Well, with this, and we know that it had a breathable atmosphere at one time*, then this surely is proof that it once had life. I don't know how much longer they can continue to hide the truth from us. :innocent:

* breathable by someone, I dare say, even if not by us

Hide what truth?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#9    mrknownothing

mrknownothing

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

This is very cool, what a time to be alive! I have no doubts that the universe is teaming with life and soon there will be proof that two planets in one solar system had life at one point. With how violent and unpredictable the universe is I'm not sure that there's a lot of intelagent life out there but who knows the crazy creatures that roam planets we'll probably never know exist.

#10    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,019 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

This is old news.

The discovery that some water on Mars may once have been neutral (as opposed to acidic) and therefore drinkable was made back in March by Curiosity (see HERE). This Opportunity discovery is just confirmation of that discovery.

Previously rock deposits had  shown signs of acidic water, which is not great for life.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,019 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 08 June 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Well, with this, and we know that it had a breathable atmosphere at one time*, then this surely is proof that it once had life.
Using your logic, proving that you are capable of firing a gun is surely proof that you are a murderer.

Proving that life could have existed and Mars can not in any way be considered proof that it MUST have existed on Mars. With only one example of a planet with life so far (the Earth, obviously) we simply do not know how often life emerges.

However, the proof that life could have existed strengthens the justifications for future missions which will search for signs of life past or present.

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 08 June 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

They either wont investigate such things, or wont let us know about them.
This very story shows that they ARE investigating such things and they ARE letting us know about them.

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 08 June 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

They have not shown the public any interest in unusual objects so far. They have set objectives, drilling rocks and digging clay. They stick to these.
No, they have shown no interest in investigating what YOU think is unusual. Most people realise that the technical name for a rock that looks like a rat is A ROCK.

Pareidolia is no basis for intelligent scientific investigation.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#12    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,193 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

But what about the  little monkey,and Dates that grow underground ? THe Lakes. and Rivers that flow underground ? THe Martian Slaves and Invaders ? back to sleep now to late for any more history lessons ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users