Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mars discovery "one for the history books"

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#16    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,828 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 20 November 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

You do know that AIDS is a disease and not a bacteria don't you? You do also know that it is a viral disease and not a bacteriological one?

I do know that, but I choose to ignore that fact in the hopes for contracting full blown Mars AIDS.
I almost edited that post to explain that I do, in fact, know that AIDS is the result of a viral infection, but I hoped that the explanation would not be needed as the post was clearly after a jesting fashion. I suppose now I will be inundated with responses of "AIDS is a virus".....

No offence, Waspie, of course. You all get one.....Posted Image

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 20 November 2012 - 11:26 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#17    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,169 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostOverSword, on 20 November 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

I don't see why they have to tease us.  At least say what you think you've got.
Scientists that publish before they are certain often have their reputation damaged or destroyed. They aren't teasing, they are just doing their jobs properly.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#18    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

If the new finding should turn out to be organic compounds, this will create an interesting situation. The two Viking probes to Mars, in 1976 seemed to detect life. This was doubted, when organic compounds could not be found in the samples. Such compounds should have been found if life was present.  If organic compounds do exist on Mars,  Viking may have found life on Mars after all. It has been suspected that organic substances did exist at the sites, but were destroyed when the samples were heated. Curiosity has a method of checking for organic compounds at lower temperatures.

Edited by bison, 21 November 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#19    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,174 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Mars Curiosity Rover Makes Earthshaking Discovery; "This Data is Gonna be one for the History Books," says NASA

http://m.npr.org/story/165513016

more: https://www.google.c...x-a&channel=rcs

WHOOPEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#20    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Fascinating! I wonder what it will be? Running water? A new cave system? Dare we hope that life or the remnants of life might have been discovered?

The wait is going to be painful.......

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#21    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,174 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 21 November 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

Fascinating! I wonder what it will be? Running water? A new cave system? Dare we hope that life or the remnants of life might have been discovered?

well they mentioned 'air and methane' a few times...

edit, having said that maybe I mis read as they also refered to a past 'find' in the same sentence as air and methane, and this time they were analysing soil... hmm we shall see

Edited by seeder, 21 November 2012 - 02:29 AM.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#22    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

If they did find aliens, they'd never tell the public about it.  Are you kidding me?

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 21 November 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#23    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,174 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 21 November 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

If they did find aliens, they'd never tell the public about it.  Are you kidding me?

Did you read it? The reveal comes in a couple of weeks once they double check the data..

Edited by seeder, 21 November 2012 - 02:37 AM.

#24    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,782 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

I am Telling you ! THey are going to find that underground river,date trees,and ancient Martian Citys .Well it wont be that of coarse,but my money is on organics ! Theres a Line in Vegas already ! :tsu: :alien: :no:

This is a Work in Progress!

#25    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,902 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

View Postseeder, on 21 November 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

Did you read it? The reveal comes in a couple of weeks once they double check the data..
A couple of weeks? Great. Just enough fodder time for the 12.21.12 wackos.

#26    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,656 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

I'm voting something carbon based. Maybe something simple like graphite. Maybe Methane, or a simple ether, or ester?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#27    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 20 November 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

You do know that AIDS is a disease and not a bacteria don't you? You do also know that it is a viral disease and not a bacteriological one?

Let's assume he made a joke.

.....sigh.....

#28    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

But perhaps the most popular Curiosity meme have been the tweets from someone calling themselves "@SarcasticRover."

"Finally ready to start the day!" one tweet begins.
"Looking forward to staring at ******* dirt for the next two years."

http://www.marsdaily...n_Mars_999.html

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,038 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Postseeder, on 21 November 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

Give them enough time to airbrush the pictures .... :innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#30    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,038 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 21 November 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

You know it'll be about the discovery of some chemical element that they didn't think was there hitherto, of course, which will no doubt be of great interest to the Scientific community but will hardly be enough for those of us who want them to release information about the alien cities ....

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users