Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Expedition to Seek Living Dinosaurs in Africa

Still Waters

A young Missouri man has turned to the Internet in search of investors for his expedition into the remote jungles of Africa seeking to document undiscovered flora and fauna. That is not so unusual, but one of the creatures he hopes to find is: a living dinosaur.

The region Stephen McCullah, the organizer of the expedition, has chosen to explore is the reputed home of the Mokèlé-mbèmbé, a dinosaur-like creature said to be up to 35 feet long (11 meters), with brownish-gray skin and a long, flexible neck.Many locals believe that it lives in the caves it digs in riverbanks, and that the beast feeds on elephants, hippos and crocodiles.

McCullah posted his pitch on Kickstarter.com asking for $27,000 in donations so that he and his friends can launch the Newmac Expedition, "one of the first expeditions in this century with the goal of categorizing plant and animal species in the vastly unexplored Republic of the Congo." The preliminary four-man venture is slated to launch June 26.

arrow3.gifRead more...

So basically me and couple of buds want some cash so we can go on a cool trip - and bring a tranq rifle if they'll let us.

Is June far enough out to let them collect the whole 27K? Sounds cool to me. Good luck to them.

Damn it seems that i was beaten to the punch, guess i will have to do another one after them :)

I also need $27,000 for an.... expedition....mellow.gif

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Bigfoot in Hawaii expedition here I come !!!

$27000 wouldnt even pay for thier flights to Africa. I would be asking for a lot more than that. Add another nought onto the end and maybe it would be enough for a proper expedition

edit.....sorry, I hate typos :)

Edited by Englishgent

He has high hopes ay? Going on a search to find a dinosaur, a canine sized spider AND man eating fish. Sort of reminds me of the Jumanji world.

$27000 wouldnt even pay for thier flights to Africa. I would be asking for a lot more than that. Add another nought onto the end and maybe it would be enough for a proper expedition

edit.....sorry, I hate typos :)

Now, funding for a 3 month (i think they want to go for 3 months) expedition aside, half that 24,000 would be gone after round trip tickets to the Congo for a group of 4 (Don't remember of the article said 4, I'm just guessing).

$2600 apiece.

I think I might need 50,00 for my...uhh..."expedition" unsure.gif

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Damn it seems that i was beaten to the punch, guess i will have to do another one after them :)

Maybe your expedition could be to find this expedition after t goes missing!

There's some very funky stuff in the Congo,including cannibals I believe.Not the brightest idea.

Just my 2 cents

"Though the team members largely lack formal education in biology or zoology, they "anticipate discovering hundreds of new insect, plant and fish species during the course of our research........Or being eaten and never heard of again" (most likely scenario)

Actually he just wants the cash to buy and old van, a couple bags of weed, and some Bonnaroo tickets.

An Elephant swimming across a lake is the most likely scenario for Mokele Mbembe.These guys sound like a bunch of amateurs and they will probably never be heard from again.

Worked for Stanley! :P

Worked for Stanley! :P

Works for BFRO

Hah even better, WHEN i find them i'll be a hero and take credit for their "findings" :devil:

I see another "Fail TV" documentary coming to either SyFy channel or History channel. An hour of "Did you hear that?" and "I saw something move over there!" Who could believe that a population of dinosaurs big enough to prey on elephants could exist anywhere on earth without being discovered long ago? Still the intrepid explorers will tramp around in the jungle for a few days, sell the footage they shoot, and we'll all watch it on TV.

Why do they need tanquilizer guns? Why is it always capture instead of videos and pictures.

Can't they just leave the animals in peace? Sheesh.

but then again, as you all said, might never hear from them again.

I see another "Fail TV" documentary coming to either SyFy channel or History channel. An hour of "Did you hear that?" and "I saw something move over there!" Who could believe that a population of dinosaurs big enough to prey on elephants could exist anywhere on earth without being discovered long ago? Still the intrepid explorers will tramp around in the jungle for a few days, sell the footage they shoot, and we'll all watch it on TV.

Haha! funny and true. I can't wait to set my DVR to record the adventures of these clumsy explorers wandering through the swamps of Africa and jumping at the sight of every elephant or alligator. :blush:

Who knows maybe they'll find something, hope it doesn't eat them.

Who are the fools who will give their money to these scammers?

Why do they need tanquilizer guns? Why is it always capture instead of videos and pictures.

Can't they just leave the animals in peace? Sheesh.

but then again, as you all said, might never hear from them again.

Because when you hunt an imaginary animal, only showing off an imaginary body will do, not just showing off imaginary videos and pictures.

But seriously, we have lots of pictures and videos of Sasquatch, but until we have a body that can be examined by science, it could all be a combination of hoaxes and mistaken identities.

3 month expedition, cost of trip + 3 months worth of bills back home. I too think these guys are shooting a bit short for their vacation fundraiser.

I don't know why this slipped past me yesterday when i read it....

A living dinosaur in Africa? So a Crocodile? :tu: