Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Company offering one-way Mars trips

Saru

Mars One is planning on settling a colony on Mars by 2023 as part of an ambitious new project.

If you've always wanted to live on a distant world, Dutch company Mars One wants to give you your chance to settle on the red planet. There's only one catch: You'll never be able to return to Earth.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Sounds good to me, but given that I'll be going on 70 at the time I doubt They'll let me

I bet more people than you care to guess would stand in line to go !

I too will be up there in years,But I would still go ! Count the days before we do this sort of mass exploration! It will happen !

:tu:

Big brother MARS.

• Like 1

They mention a "lottery". I hope they plan to do intensive screening and background checks. I can see something like attracting a lot of mentally ill, depessed or unstable people looking for a "way out". Let alone, needing the right skills sets to survive such a bold adventure.

• Like 1

I think I will pass, I like breathing fresh air, walking on grass and watching the wildlife in my yard.

• Like 3

Would anybody like a wager with me that nobody will be sent to Mars in 2023?

Forgetting the practical hurdles that need to be crossed (and will not be crossed)would this be allowed legally? Sending fame hungry astronauts on a one way trip? Surely EU laws will grind this to a halt long before any attempt is made.

The only thing I can smell Foley is your b******t...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Would anybody like a wager with me that nobody will be sent to Mars in 2023?

Forgetting the practical hurdles that need to be crossed (and will not be crossed)would this be allowed legally? Sending fame hungry astronauts on a one way trip? Surely EU laws will grind this to a halt long before any attempt is made.

The only thing I can smell Foley is your b******t...

I think your right JC. Can't help but think this all sounds too good to be true.

Edit: Still, it sure would be nice to finally colonize Mars.

Edited by Purifier

I easily get bored watching all the different landscapes on earth and u expect me to spend the rest of my life just to watch a red desert land. Hell no!

I easily get bored watching all the different landscapes on earth and u expect me to spend the rest of my life just to watch a red desert land. Hell no!

It's not compulsory you know.

YEAH! What a great news! This is evolution and progress of human race in the best way there is! And no war and political ifluence will stop it ( i hope )! This is what i wanted to see all eyes on space exploration not like nowdays wars,crimes,political incidents, BS all over TV... If they pull this off i think a new begining will start! Junior Chubb i would wage you! There is no law stoping private sectors to do this at which all other space agenices and their puny robots failed! See if alot of corporations stands togather they are more powerfull than any political force on this planet, why? Because of money... Space agencies worldwide can't afford or they don't want to , but this guys have a idea of such valauble potential and they have resourses to do it! What if this Mars One project comes across a mineral that cannot be find on the earth but it has some great properties, can you imagine how much would it be worth on earth, i don't need to speak of how many people will watch this and how money will flow in Mars One direction :D

Nope, no way in hell...no family, friends or dogs. The average person can count on one hand the number of true friends they have and I'm not going to count on the law of averages of me being able to get along with the few people who are allowed on the trip.

This news is fake !! Are you really expect us to believe that there will be a base in 2023 on mars ??

1st: 1 company doesn't have the resources to complete this by itself.

2nd: They can't build a base in 10 years on a planet with that distance and where no human have ever been before

3th: 40 people ?? right... why send 40 normal people. doesn't make sence. Why not researchers , doctors , Ingineers.

I think we have to wait more then 10 years to happen....

This news is fake !! Are you really expect us to believe that there will be a base in 2023 on mars ??

1st: 1 company doesn't have the resources to complete this by itself.

2nd: They can't build a base in 10 years on a planet with that distance and where no human have ever been before

3th: 40 people ?? right... why send 40 normal people. doesn't make sence. Why not researchers , doctors , Ingineers.

I think we have to wait more then 10 years to happen....

Maybe they are phishing to see the responce they get. or if it is true most likely the hidden amongst the people chosen would be some goverment secert service or religious nutters.

I would go and many would follow if legit. But then again I may be drunk, my work life in tatters, girlfriend wanting to wash her hands of me and have recently been reading a fiction novel on Mars colonization.

We're at the dawn of a new era of scientific advancement. Yet they still can't find the cure for the disease that many humans have. Hate.

We're at the dawn of a new era of scientific advancement. Yet they still can't find the cure for the disease that many humans have. Hate.

Ikr. HATERS GON HATE! forever probably. :cry: btw the lottery sounds glitched like only rich ppl get to go

Would be interesting. While it would be a "lottery", it would be rigged. There would have to be 20 females and 20 males. They'd all have to be fertile. They'd all have to be young, I'd say between 18-30 years of age. They'd all have to be mentally stable, and physically fit. None could be on medications. You'd have to have multiple doctors and scientists. Unless, maybe, there will be doctors and scientists going with them, that arne't included in the "lottery".

I'd go up their, kill everyone else while I'm dressed in an alien costume and hope the people controlling the whole operation see it on CCTV.

Then I'd sit in a corner alone and bored for all eternity.

Wonder what internet speeds one would get up there? Probably not fast enough for xbox live or something, but maybe able to open U.M page in about a week or so. Cell phone coverage? Tv channels? Swimming? What if there were a fire inside the base? Not forgetting a public library!

I love the idea but really thinking about it makes me doubt it even more as people are dependant on a lot of stuff these days, so the whole "lottery" idea strikes as strange. Applicants would mostly be depressed,destitute,introverted or highly social cheerleaders. As much as I would love to see human space population progression I kinda have a feeling it could only be done with highly trained, exceptionally intelligent, prosperous individuals capable of extreme self control.

hate is not a disease, it's a learned behavior.