Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Genealogy

ArcherSage

Does anyone else do Genealogy research in their free time? I have been doing it for about a year now. If you do, what made you want to start doing research on your ancestors?

Does anyone else do Genealogy research in their free time? I have been doing it for about a year now. If you do, what made you want to start doing research on your ancestors?

My parents were heavy into it, and I've got all their data... I find it interesting, but I have not really spent much time working on it...

The village cemetery where my grandmother is, has my grandmother, her mother and her mother and her mother and going back to my great grand mother years, the rest of the family, grandfather, uncles aunts etc etc etc . It was easier to keep track back in those days as they did not leave their villages, they just bred locally.

its a very moving place for me as it is the history of my ancestors from my mothers side.

When the world started going "global", t.v`s came into the house, the young wanted to explore what they saw, they left the villages and traveled, although many did not leave their family behind in their hearts, many left the land. They started families elsewhere, hence many being buried elsewhere hence not much family connections in the bigger towns cemeteries.....not ones with a long history anyway.

Plus the graves are destroyed after a certain amount of years if not taken care off, and as many people move on many of the graves go into ruin...sad, but i guess thats life in the modern world (no pun intended).

Thankfully the graves in my families cemetery are still visited, although some only on La Toussaint, its enough to keep the graves there and the tradition is passed down the line to the next generation....although I live nowhere near there now, that one day is important and it is something I have taught my son too, its only one day to make the effort, considering the years of ancestry there, it is not asking much.

• Like 1

Great story. My great grandparents are buried in the same town where Oconostota the Cherokee Warrior is buried. My great grandmothers family is believed to have descended from him. From the research I have done it appears they descend from a different line but just as interesting, the line of Chief Charles Hicks of the Cherokee.