Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts haunt 1900s mortuary-turned-pub

Still Waters

Before Kells Irish Pub in Seattle became a charming family-run bar, it served as a waiting room for the afterlife -- a mortuary purpose-built to handle flood of dead bodies produced by plague, mining accidents and violence in the early 1900s.

The owners of the bar say a piece of that dark history has clung to their humble establishment, meaning the haunted pub serves up a host of spirits, along with pints of beer.

Bartenders, patrons and ghost hunters all claim to have seen specters of ghosts at the pub late at night.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ColoradoParanormal

• Rhincewind

• orangepeaceful79

• Sakari

Interesting read, but i have to say the photo of the mangled child doesnt seem very good.

Its so lacking in clarity, it could be almost anything.

Actually it looks like a penguin with a blanket draped over it to me.

But thats just my opinion ;)

The following article is on the same subject, with the same video, but with a few extra details. I wonder if there is more detailed information available?

Source

Interesting read, but i have to say the photo of the mangled child doesnt seem very good.

Its so lacking in clarity, it could be almost anything.

Actually it looks like a penguin with a blanket draped over it to me.

But thats just my opinion ;)

I actually thought it looked more like Donatello or one of the other Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :D

Why would a ghost haunt a morgue? I thought they hung out where they died (or lived)...

Looks like a gummy bear to me.

Unfortunately, the resolution of IR Camera's is terrible. Couple that with the area they were shooting. The environment itself creates a rather difficult place to shoot without creating artifacts and anomalies in the images.

I wish the camera quality was a bit better so we could see more clearly. Stupid camera. And it was probably just something normal, but looked different to them.

Ghost Adventures is the biggest farce on TV. Typical fail TV.

The hosts pound their chests and dare the "ghosts" to come forth, something goes bump and they run away screaming. Too funny!

Maybe I missed something, but I don't recall the plague making it's way from Europe all the way to Seattle.

Wait, I was wrong. There was an outbreak of the bubonic plague in 1907. A total of 3 people died.

Wait, I was wrong. There was an outbreak of the bubonic plague in 1907. A total of 3 people died.

There was a very major Influenza epidemic at about that time... Millions died...

They have regular Ghost Tours through that area of town. I went on one a few Halloween's ago and we were lucky enough to run into Patrick, the owner of Kells who let us into the upper area of the Butterworth building. It is truly creepy, calling it haunted I would think is a stretch though.

Looks like a gummy bear to me.

It really does...

Mmmmmm gummy bear...strawberry ectoplasm. :tu:

lol Seems to be as sound of a theory as I've heard so far my friend.

I work about a 2 minute walk from here. I'll have to check it out Friday night after work. I invite you all to join me.

I work about a 2 minute walk from here. I'll have to check it out Friday night after work. I invite you all to join me.

Well, if I hopped in my car now, and averaged about 190mph, I could make it! However, my car at 190mph averages 3mpg lol So, I'd have to take all the gas breaks into account.

0:33, the guy tries to bribe the ghost(s)? "If you show yourself to us I'll give you gold" :)))))))))))))))))))) that is...

*sighs*

I hate it when people don't do the reaserch. I watched that episode and though it wasn't one of the better ones I still found it interesting.

The pub used to be funeral parlor and it was also used to dispose of murder victims. The undertakers didn't ask any questions when they prepared a body and they got paid by the body as well. It was an easy but scary way to get money.

Here is the link to the first part of the investigation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFfZtlz3hJ4

What ever you may think of GA I like it. I'm not saying that they find proof of spirits but what they have found so far is very interesting and better than any other ghost show I have seen.

The picture looks very different before the "glow" is added. There is no left arm (as you look at it) or left leg. There is a huge abdomen that stretches to the floor and makes the lower half of the "child" more like a penguin. Also, looking at the angles of the rest of the scene, the "child" would be falling forward down the stairs.

From wikipedia: "Several recent accounts describe the Kells space as the former embalming room and crematorium, but the 1904 account says that the basement housed the building's heating plant, stables, and a storage space for funeral wagons."

I agree with Taun. They didn't die there so why should they want to haunt it. You would think hospitals would be the most haunted places on earth.

I've seen a ghost before but it only once and never saw it again. It was my cat but she didn't die in the house but I think it happened close by.

they haunt there because they died before their time by either an accident and fast paiing or where murdered.

Seriously did no one watch the clip I posted?

they haunt there because they died before their time by either an accident and fast paiing or where murdered.

Seriously did no one watch the clip I posted?

I gotta admit, once I saw it was ghost adventures I decided that watching was kind of irrelevant. I mean the format is almost always the same. They go to a "haunted" location, give a partially accurate history lesson on the place, discuss the claims and then go run around like a bunch of ninnies, p***ing thier pants everytime a mouse farts. Then Zak gets "possessed" , the sun comes up and the show is over.