Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chris Christie closes all Tesla dealerships

Simbi Laveau

Like a lot of Republicans, New Jersey governor Chris Christie likes to talk about how the government should get out of the way of the free market. In a speech last week in Washington, D.C., he railed against President Obama’s economic interventions. “We don’t have an income inequality problem, we have an opportunity problem in this country because government's trying to control the free market," he said. And he urged his fellow conservatives to shout their opposition to government regulations from the rooftops. “We need to talk about the fact that we’re for a free-market society that allows your effort and your ingenuity to determine your success, not the cold, hard hand of government determining winners and losers.”

Then Christie came back to New Jersey and signed off on a cold, hard government regulation that blocks Tesla from selling its cars in the state.

The rule change prohibits automakers from selling directly to consumers, as Tesla does. Instead, it requires them to go through franchised, third-party dealerships, as the big, traditional car companies do. In other words, it requires that the middle-men get their cut. The Christie Administration made the move unilaterally, via the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. It was urged on by lobbyists for the state’s existing car dealerships, which fear the competition. The upshot is that Tesla will be forced to stop selling cars at its two existing dealerships in the state, and drop its plans to build more. It’s unclear what will happen to the employees of those dealerships.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/12/1284105/-Christie-Unilaterally-Shuts-Down-All-Tesla-Car-Stores-in-NJ

How the hell is this legal, AT ALL.

• Like 6

Another corporate government minion twisting and using the Libertarian political philosophy to their political advantage.

Never put leaders with a history of greediness in government positions. The top dog merchants rule this country and we're all paying for it. Figuratively and literally.

• Like 3

RINO. Another example of why I don't want him as the republican candidate.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

And as usual, there's a bit more to the story than DailyFOX is reporting:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-11/tesla-stores-may-be-closed-after-n-j-blocks-direct-sales.html

New Jersey is following the same path as several other states and Tesla went into New Jersey KNOWING that this could happen if they didn't work to change the laws - which they did not.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way of a good Christie bash.

• Like 1

If the good governor is so in tune with the "free market", then why does he not embrace direct-selling as just another way the free-market provides value for the consumer?

• Like 6

If the good governor is so in tune with the "free market", then why does he not embrace direct-selling as just another way the free-market provides value for the consumer?

Because the 'free market' does not contribute to his campaign fund.
  • Like 2

Well.... he is Italian or Sicilian. ... is there a difference?

NJ is a state where offers they can't refuse is a part of daily life.

• Like 1

oh wait I just read the second line of the thread title.

I just have to point out that the "Koch brothers" are not some evil group that people want them to be made out to be. First off they are ranked #59 in political donations, with many unions being way above them :whistle:.

http://www.thegatewa...fferent-unions/

And just because they give money it doesn't inherently make the institute evil. They give millions of $ to the ACLU for example. And they donate tons of money to hospitals.

I also find it funny the left media never mentions Geroge Sorros who funds basically everything left. But I guess that's not evil because he funds left wing things instead of conservatives...

I guess its "evil" to have money

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I just have to point out that the "Koch brothers" are not some evil group that people want them to be made out to be. First off they are ranked #59 in political donations, with many unions being way above them :whistle:.

And just because they give money it doesn't inherently make the institute evil. They give millions of $ to the ACLU for example. And they donate tons of money to hospitals.

I also find it funny the left media never mentions Geroge Sorros who funds basically everything left. But I guess that's not evil because he funds left wing things instead of conservatives...

No, it's what one does with the money and what their true agenda is. Especially if one tries to pass it off as a donation, when what they're really doing is influencing, bribing or manipulating circumstances to go their way. Hence, corporate government.

Very rarely does anybody donate money, just to be donating money, because they mostly expect something to be gained in return.

• Like 1

It doesn't make what he signed into law any more defensible.

Br Cornelius

Perhaps, but let's also not accept the DailyFOX political spin on the story either.

BTW, why are you interested in defending the vehicle of the 1%?

"Here's your millions. Now leave us alone"

It's only evil if it is used for right-wing agenda.

"Here's your millions. Now leave us alone"

It's only evil if it is used for right-wing agenda.

I know what your implying. And im not naïve enough to think most funding is honest. Obviously its and investment and they expect something out of it . But I just want to defend the fact that there are some idealistic business people. I believe the Koch's may be one of them, im sure their not 100 percent wholesome but I think that they are not pure evil.

For example im sure most of the people on this sight would admit that if they where rich and with a business that we would all probably be funding all kinds of different causes because we believed in them.

Like Kroger's for example does so much generous things. It for a time was ranked the most generous company.

http://finance.yahoo...in-america.html

These numbers are actually quite nice.

I just want people to not assume all business is evil sinister corporate hacks. Its just another stereotype. All sterotypess are bad :innocent:. and everyone runs from the defense because the stigma on funding is so high

Edited by spartan max2

Hell, I don't think they're evil. I just think they're materialist who see nothing but dollar signs all the time. They're all about money is what I'm saying and there's much more to life than money, because you can't take it with you to the grave. Or as Jeremiah65 has talked about many times in many threads here at UM, 'Wealth Hoarders' and the Koch brothers fit that description very well IMO.

Besides that, they also remind me too much of the Duke brothers in Trading Places.

Trading-Places-p101.jpg

...and that don't mean I look at George Soros as being any different, BTW. As a matter of fact, I think he's an old Blue Dog Democrat.

• Like 1

Like Kroger's. :innocent:

Kroger. There is no 's unless you're are referring to the family, in which case it would be "the Kroger's".

Sorry. I just here people say Krogers all the time when talking about the store and it bothers the hell out of me.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2

RINO. Another example of why I don't want him as the republican candidate.

I think that ship has sailed.

• Like 1

Chris Christie is a gigantic hypocrite.

Hey! You don't take that back, Yamato! confused0046.gif

• Like 1

Another corporate government minion twisting and using the Libertarian political philosophy to their political advantage.

Never put leaders with a history of greediness in government positions. The top dog merchants rule this country and we're all paying for it. Figuratively and literally.

Na. He doesnt even pretend to be libertarian at all. Straight called the movement "dangerous"

• Like 2

Na. He doesnt even pretend to be libertarian at all. Straight called the movement "dangerous"

Oh I knew that. He probably looks at all Libertarians as being extreme. But what I was getting at, is that he uses some of the Libertarian political philosophy to fool people some of the time. I noticed quite a few hard right wing neocons doing a lot that lately. You know what I'm getting at, they speak out both sides of their mouths into trying to fool people to gain more votes, like they're also on the Libertarian side of politics, when they really detest it and think it's another political form of Liberalism. Like most politicians, he's two-faced and also talks out his butt.

• Like 1

Eh...doesn't Ron Paul want to eliminate Department of Energy and privatize nukes?

department of energy yes, privatize nukes no.

He see's the Department of Energy as a waste of money, and a tool used by politicians and corporations to pay off special interest stifling competition . His words “I am absolutely convinced this is the only way to prosperity,” Paul said. “If we want jobs we have to get the government out of our way.”

Which cutting an agencies/department really sounds sensible after you realize how much of them we have.

Here is the governments index http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/index.shtml?id=60031

Which that list isn't even complete, sadly the government doesn't even know how much agencies we have...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/03/the-government-has-no-idea-how-many-agencies-it-has/

But if you want to cut one of these you are obviously uncompassionate lol :innocent:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1