Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You die in your dreams, you die in real life.

kallisti

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Incorrigible1

• explorer

• Dr. D

• zombeikiller

It has been around forever I am not sure where though...when I was a kid...it isnt true. I have died plenty of times in dreams.

Edited by Fluffybunny

one of those urban legends, like when you have a dream that you are falling.. if you hit the ground you will die

It isn't true. Ask any scientist (sleep researcher or no), any psychologist, any person who has had a tramatic experience, or ask me.

I have died (in my dreams) many ways:

Kicked in the face by a pony (hey, it almost happened the next day...)

Car Crash

Bullet

Airplane crash

drowning

asphyxiation (suffocation)

poison

fire

et cetera (and the rest)

Yeah, I die all the time!

And you also die, thousands of times every month, you just don't know it. Your mind takes you through a training course of instict every night. Sleep up, and prepare to die (lol)

You may never have a near death experience, but you will be preping for one for your entire life.

It isn't true. Ask any scientist (sleep researcher or no), any psychologist, any person who has had a tramatic experience, or ask me.

I have died (in my dreams) many ways:

Kicked in the face by a pony (hey, it almost happened the next day...)

Car Crash

Bullet

Airplane crash

drowning

asphyxiation (suffocation)

poison

fire

et cetera (and the rest)

Yeah, I die all the time!

And you also die, thousands of times every month, you just don't know it. Your mind takes you through a training course of instict every night. Sleep up, and prepare to die (lol)

You may never have a near death experience, but you will be preping for one for your entire life.

Wow you do die a lot. Do you feel pain in your dreams? Because I remember that when I get shot in my dreams, I feel some pain. It would suck to experience suffocation and fire.

This subject interests me...

Since I was a young girl I remember dying in my dreams.

When I was about 12 I had a dream I died by leathal injection for a crime I didn't commit. I remember yelling for my mom and the just pettering out as everything went black.

I've died in tornados so many time I can't count.

I had a dream two years ago that my husband-to-be shot and killed me with a fire arm.

When I fall in my dreams, sometime I hit the ground and die.

Recently I've been killed by zombie attacks at least twice and once saw my own head ripped from my body.

Weird eh?

how many dead people answered that question?

how many dead people answered that question?

^_^ lol. I have never died in a dream. :hmm: OH, and Donmar, what do you mean by this?:

And you also die, thousands of times every month, you just don't know it. Your mind takes you through a training course of instict every night. Sleep up, and prepare to die.

I think I might understand it, but I would like to know the meaning without guessing.:)

It's not true, but it used to terrify me as a little kid.

An episode of the 'Twilight Zone' followed a man who fought off sleep because his death was waiting for him as soon as he slept. Another man, maybe his shrink convinced him it was in his head.

It ended with him falling asleep and died.

As a kid I remembered being scared to fall asleep because of that.

Edited by Bear's Quest

Wes Craven claims that he wrote the original Nightmare on Elmstreet based on these articles he read in newspapers about teens who had such terrifying nightmares they would cut off their own eyelids so they wouldn't sleep and one had even died from a heart attack in his sleep after telling his parents how terrible his nightmares were and was scared of falling asleep. If these articles were real or not who knows.

one of those urban legends, like when you have a dream that you are falling.. if you hit the ground you will die

I have never, EVER, had a death in a dream even though I have been close to it, I never got to that point where I loose my life. This is a perfect example wich I quoted above, many times I have dreamt of falling from a building, and it's always the same building, but I wake up before just before hitting the ground, in the last second.

I actually die in a lot of my dreams for whatever reason..

A few months ago I had a dream where I actually died but didn't wake up from the dream immediately, I kind of zoomed out and saw my own death, then when I woke up I guess I was in sleep paralysis or something but I was in this weird environment. Well, that faded away in a few minutes and I realized I was in my bed, but for a second there I thought I had actually died :P.

But other than a change of your mental state, a dream has no effect on reality.

one had even died from a heart attack in his sleep after telling his parents how terrible his nightmares were and was scared of falling asleep.

From what I remember it was a Cambodian family that moved to The States and it was their teenage son that died... I can't help you with a link though (check out Wes Craven)

There have been reports of people dying in their sleeps, and reports that they had had problems with nigh terrors and things. But we can't really ask them if they died in their dream, now can we? lol. I think alot of it probably has to do with sleep apnea and I've heard that night terrors have been blamed for some deaths, though I'm sure no one could ever really prove it. Like I said, I think alot of it has to do with sleep apnea. I've known a couple of people that suffered from this, and they seemed like they suffered from night terrors at the same time. They would have these experiences where they would wake up terrified, as if from a nightmare, and gasping for breath. One, who was an old boss of mine, had a father who died from sleep apnea, and he recognized the symptoms right away. The other was an old friend of mine, and it took her a while before she got diagnosed. She used to always talk about being terrified that she would die in her dreams and, in turn, die in real life. I never asked why she felt this, but she was always complaining of terrible nightmares, even though she never knew what they were. They say night terrors are usually found in children, but adults get them too. I haven't known anyone else with sleep apnea, so I don't know if the nightmare thing really fits in with all of them. Maybe, because the body stops breathing, the body sends signals to the brain of distress, which would cause the person to wake up feeling frightened and disoriented. Course, I'm most certainly not an expert on that subject.

Edit: I have died in my dreams plenty of times. I feel something, although I can probably say in all honesty that its not the pain that I would ACTUALLY feel if some of this stuff REALLY happened to me. Usually, when I have a "dying dream", I have the dream over and over again until I live or force myself to wake up before I die. It's really annoying. Thankfully, I've become a master of waking myself up. It's actually pretty easy. I just keep saying "This is a DREAM" and it sort of melts away. Oddly enough, I still haven't been able to actually, consciously, have a lucid dream. I only ever get any control at certain points during nightmares. Again, really annoying.

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

Ive died many times in my dreams.

death by fire

death by falling

death by drowning

death by lethal injections

death by chickens

death by zombies

death by robots

death by car (or plane) crash

I have been beheaded in one of my dreams. I even watched, in this very dream - I was now a disembodied being, whilst my body was cleared up, all the people watching the beheading via a guillotine etc etc.

I am still here. Personally, I do not believe that you can die in real life because you died in a dream.

Its a fun urban legend to scare kids, but its false. I die all the time in dreams. Purposefully, I might add.

I wanted to test this out when I was younger(17).. so I killed one of my friends in a lucid dream to see if he'd die. I know that sounds alittle mean but I was pretty sure he wouldnt. So I was walking next to him in this dream.. and I went lucid and found myself holding a big knife.. so I did this very quick move and cut his throat. It was really horrible and he bled everywhere and just looked at me with this horrified look. I told him the next day and he wasnt too happy about it. lol. He gave me a weird look(violated), and I told him at least we know now that you cant die in dreams!

I've died a few times too in dreams... its weird.

Edited by Kazahel