Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Churches adopt new Ten Commandments

Still Waters

Hundreds of churches across the country are now preaching an updated version of the Ten Commandments, rewritten to reflect modern values.

The religious rules, which Christians believe were etched onto tablets by God and given to Moses, have been modified to use up-to-date language and principles.

Inspired by last year’s riots, the new vows include “manage your anger”, “know God” and “catch your breath” and are understood to be used in more than 600 churches in Britain.

The original “thou shalt not steal” has become “prosper with a clear conscience”, and the lengthy “thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” becomes “take God seriously”.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Imaginarynumber1

• Robbie333

• Phil CYA

Welcome to the " Twilight Zone". Goof balls they are. Is there any wonder people get so against Christianity? The Jim Bakers, Jim Jones and most of the TV evangelist make us look like complete lunatics, which we are not. It gets my blood boiling.

Edited by Robbie333

Funny....I actually understood the old ones just fine. :wacko:

Funny....I actually understood the old ones just fine. :wacko:

I agree.

The original “thou shalt not steal” has become “prosper with a clear conscience”, and the lengthy “thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” becomes “take God seriously”.

The last reconstruction suggests a misunderstanding of the original phraseology. "Taking the Lord's name in vain" was not written/used to suggest flippancy about the subject of divinity. It was derived from the practise of making oath's, which was usually done in the name of something considered important - often a deity.

Thus, that commandment is more commanding a person to have integrity of character. It is not really about god at all.

Edited by Leonardo

If God really did write the 10 commandments, and knowing man will edit like crazy... He would have written - Thou shalt not edit my word.. AND Thou shalt not make up excuses for editing my word..innocent.gif

If God really did write the 10 commandments, and knowing man will edit like crazy... He would have written - Thou shalt not edit my word.. AND Thou shalt not make up excuses for editing my word..innocent.gif

LOL. Pretty good one. These wack jobs make us good Catholic boys look pretty foolish. No wonder people get turned off. It , again, makes my blood boil.

Awww geez, it's only 10 commandments. If a mere 10 commandments has to be dumbed down, I can't imagine how those folks are supposed to keep up with the rest of the bible.

LOL. Pretty good one. These wack jobs make us good Catholic boys look pretty foolish. No wonder people get turned off. It , again, makes my blood boil.

In all honesty.. The 10 commandments can be narrowed down to 2...As George Carlin add - Moses could have came down with them in his back pocket !!

this is how...for good or bad.... religion evolves.

religious evolution

That would mean that women must be killed for wearing two types of fabrics. Thank God that isn't the case.

Actually, I have to correct you, there were 15 commandments my dear, as shown in this short clip :yes:

Awww geez, it's only 10 commandments. If a mere 10 commandments has to be dumbed down, I can't imagine how those folks are supposed to keep up with the rest of the bible.

agreed

Why dumb down the 10 commandments when they're already easy enough to understand? Don't steal, kill, lie, cheat on your mate, etc. Those aren't difficult to understand. Morality slippery slope slides even farther apparently.

RE: beckys mom--though the commandments themselves did not include a no-edit clause, the bible they are in does begin with a no-edit policy. Unfortunately, this has been edited out of most modern "translations".

Actually, I have to correct you, there were 15 commandments my dear, as shown in this short clip :yes:

hahahahahah, funny as **** :w00t:

tnx for the video :tu:

Religious evolution is an oxymoron. How can you change something that was, depending on your view point, literally written in stone? It just shows how religion is an outdated explanation of the world. Instead of trying to make it easier for modern audiences, it should be removed all together.

The whole thing is ridiculous. If it was supposedly written by God himself, then leave it alone. The ten commandments are clear and understandable even today. This is one of the reasons why I dislike organized religion. They rewrite the rules to suit themselves and their way of thinking. They must have a pretty dumb lot in their congregation.

I think I'll sit back with the popcorn and watch how this light show plays out...

The United Kingdom has become soft and overly accommodating. Hard truths are hard. Unfortunately, the soft lemmings forget it.

Sadly, most of the Western world is slowly turning into weaklings. The West will fail.

The United Kingdom has become soft and overly accommodating. Hard truths are hard. Unfortunately, the soft lemmings forget it.

Sadly, most of the Western world is slowly turning into weaklings. The West will fail.

Yep, I agree

People here have started hating religion because their lifestyle choices are at odds with it. Its ironic that a Protestant country has faith based solely on Biblical texts instead of the influences of the Vatican. Yet it now wants to rewrite those very texts.

The Protestant faith has just defeated the purpose of its own existance. I predict people will flock from the Church of England to join the Catholic faith.

That would mean that women must be killed for wearing two types of fabrics. Thank God that isn't the case.

How did you come up with that one? Explain how it relates to - Do not go making edits on my word given?

Edited by Beckys_Mom