Photo

Found Old Graves

Posted by Ashotep , 20 January 2012 · 269 views

Finally found those old graves I was talking about last summer.  I was about to give up when someone yelled they had found them.  I thought there was only going to be two but there is more like six.  Some of them are children.  A couple had headstones but the others were marked only with a rock.  The graves are about five or six hundred feet from where the house was.  Took some pictures and I put them in my gallery on my profile if you would like to see them.  They are in the forest and trees are taking over.  The best I can tell these people died about 1900, maybe about the same time.  A few years ago I found other graves in the forest.  The headstones were easier to read and the whole family died in 1900 within a month of each other.  Those graves were about a mile or so from these.  Have to wonder if some type of illness went through here.

Princess Serenity
Jan 22 2012 02:57 AM
Pretty cool. Have you tried to find some history on it?
Sad...it'd be nice if someone kept them clear of brush and brought flowers.

Princess Serenity, on 21 January 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Pretty cool. Have you tried to find some history on it?
I don't know if it would be possible to find anything on them.  You can't read the last name on the head stones, only parts you can make out.  The court house has burnt down twice since then and I doubt a coroner was called or they even saw a doctor.

and then, on 22 January 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

Sad...it'd be nice if someone kept them clear of brush and brought flowers.
I thought about walking back over there to put flowers on the graves and taking my clippers with me to cut back the small trees.  The thing is right now they are hard to find, if I clean them up and put flowers on them I worry some drunken hunter will see them and use them for target practice.  Plus if a game warden caught me cutting even little trees I would be in trouble.

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tags

Categories

Latest Visitors

• Photo
      Graharo
      04 May 2013 - 16:34
    • Photo
      girrl101