Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biggest great white shark ever tagged

Still Waters

The tagging of a huge five-metre white pointer in King George Sound has presented a potentially huge breakthrough in shark research and a triumph for local Fisheries staff.

The massive female great white, estimated to weigh about 1.6 tonnes, was the biggest ever internally tagged in Australia, and one of the largest in the world.

The shark was measured at 5.04m to the fork in its tail, suggesting an overall length of around 5.3m.

• Like 2

5.3m+1.6tons. I will never understand why the aussies go swim there because I would even not put

a single toe into the waters there.

• Like 2

Why did they tag it, the only good shark is one hanging upside down on a quayside.

B.t.w what happened to the one called Lydia which was tagged in the U.S and was heading for U.K so they said. Does anyone know ??

That's it. I'm never going in the sea again.

I love knowing that I have these wonderful creatures living where I live. Seeing a shark that size swimming in the water I think would be awesome to witness.

After the shark was finally subdued, Fisheries staff had to attach three ropes around it and roll it upside down. However, once it was upside down the shark went into a state of "tonic immobility", similar to being asleep. That enabled Fisheries workers, aboard a 6m vessel not much bigger than the shark, to make a small incision in its stomach without lifting it out of the water and insert the tag.

I always find it interesting now to read how they do this to relax the shark. I remember doing it in dreams a few times years ago and I never had a clue that's what people actually did. Here's a dream I posted years ago where I did this.

I had a weird dream last night.. I dreamt I was walking in the ocean I think, but only in about knee deep water. And I saw a dark object swimming towards me which I knew was a small shark. It was about half a meter in length maybe. Anyway it swam really close and I thought it was going to bite my calf muscle, so when it got close I punched it in the head once to kinda stun it, then I picked it up out of the water. Then straight away I turned it over and started to rub its belly. It was all white underneath and the shark looked like it had cat fish whiskers(just slightly/tiny ones).. it was a weird shark and not one I've seen much. It was more squarish around its head. Anyway I just stood there rubbing its belly as if it was a naughty pet I have to make happy or something(calm it down). I held it in one arm(my left) almost like a baby(holding its head with my hand), while I rubbed its belly with my right hand. It really was like I was stroking a pet or something. I wasnt worried at all.

I've had this dream before almost a year ago maybe now, and I'm not sure what it means. Was cool though.

Taken from here. http://www.unexplain...8

Would be cool if they'd train Orca's to patrol beaches with the most sightings..

5.3m+1.6tons. I will never understand why the aussies go swim there because I would even not put

a single toe into the waters there.

Australia is the home to some of the deadliest and poisonous animals on land as well. Maybe swimming with sharks is safer?

• Like 2

Why did they tag it, the only good shark is one hanging upside down on a quayside.

B.t.w what happened to the one called Lydia which was tagged in the U.S and was heading for U.K so they said. Does anyone know ??

Today Lydia is here: http://www.ocearch.org/tracker/mobile/

• Like 1

Australia is the home to some of the deadliest and poisonous animals on land as well. Maybe swimming with sharks is safer?

I know that. Is that maybe an evolutionary reaction due to the aussies? :lol::D:lol:

I know that. Is that maybe an evolutionary reaction due to the aussies? :lol::D:lol:

It's either that or their beer truly makes them ten feet tall and bulletproof. :yes:

• Like 1

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.. Queue music from Jaws..

What a truly awesome animal. Would I want it swimming around me, well no, but a truly awesome animal anyway. The data collected from such an animal will be very valuable to the scientists studying these sharks I would think.

Mike

• Like 1

Can't understand peoples fear. You just turn them over and tickle their tummies and they go all ga ga.

• Like 1

Brave individuals with stones larger than mine. I saw a GW in the channel off Santa Barbara one day many years ago. It was about half the length of my boat and only 15-20 feet away. You suddenly feel very small and far from shore when that happens and I certainly had no desire to capture it and rub it's belly.

Edit: typos

Edited by Calibeliever

I wonder if this is the shark they tagged. [media=]

[/media]

horrendous avatar,but yes i agree!

Can't understand peoples fear. You just turn them over and tickle their tummies and they go all ga ga.

I don't think the Hulk could turn over one of these monsters, let alone tickle their tummies.

If you swim in the ocean you've been with sharks. Many years ago a friend said he saw a huge great white swimming off Jacksonville. Now with the tracking we know they swim right up to the beach-Big ones right on the beach in inches of water. One of the biggest sharks I ever saw was about 10 miles up the St Johns river in just a few feet of water.

Awesome for them. I'm scared of sharks but they get a bad rap since they are eating machines. If we get bit it's because we went in their territory.

• Like 1

I love knowing that I have these wonderful creatures living where I live. Seeing a shark that size swimming in the water I think would be awesome to witness.

I always find it interesting now to read how they do this to relax the shark. I remember doing it in dreams a few times years ago and I never had a clue that's what people actually did. Here's a dream I posted years ago where I did this.

Taken from here. http://www.unexplain...8

I don't know about your dreams but you may find this interesting. Please note that the first move is to flip the shark upside down http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/octopus_giant_kills_shark

Absolutely amazing IMHO. They live such a short time but are so bloody brilliant; can you imagine if they lived 75 years?

Edited by Merc14

When you grow up from an Aussie baby dodging dingo attacks, then wrestling crocs, it makes a big fish less scary. :P

But really it's only the surfers and scuba divers in the deep water that get attacked by sharks. Those big boys don't come in to the shallow water where people swim.

• Like 1

Awesome for them. I'm scared of sharks but they get a bad rap since they are eating machines. If we get bit it's because we went in their territory.

We get all worked up when sharks attack a swimmer, but the number of sharks harvested by humans to the number of humans harvested by sharks is extremely disproportionate. (about 100 million sharks to about 10 humans). Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 2

We get all worked up when sharks attack a swimmer, but the number of sharks harvested by humans to the number of humans harvested by sharks is extremely disproportionate. (about 100 million sharks to about 10 humans).

I think we were all victims of "Jaws", something Peter Benchley never forgave himself for but eh new generations see sharks fro what they are, a necessary and vital part of the ocean world. Site like this one help take the hatred out of the equation http://www.ocearch.org/

• Like 3