Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crop circles are not the work of hoaxers

Still Waters

AN Aussie historian believes he has buried forever the ‘cereal’ lie that crop circles are the work of hoaxers – by unearthing Black Country images of them dating back to 1945 and beyond.

It’s ‘barley’ believable, but Greg Jefferys has also uncovered evidence of the phenomenon in scientific documents dating back to 1880.

The boffin, from Hobart, Tasmania, says his findings prove there’s more to the mysterious circles than hoaxers playing silly tricks.

http://www.birmingha...s-prove-1244867

• Like 2

If it's not hoaxers, I don't get it.

I don't think there has been any of that stuff in Vietnam, but then rice is harder to smash down.

• Like 2

Obviously, this will be met with the usual cynicism by those whose hobby it seems to be to deny everything, but I have often thought that some at least might be the result of some form of eartrh energies; nothing to do with ETs, necessarily, but the result of natural processes, but, since there often seems to be an intelligent design behind them, perhaps somthing more than just random natural forces. That's all I'm prepared to speculate at this stage, but it does seem in keeping with what I have long suspected. :unsure2:

Edited by Lord Vetinari

Obviously, this will be met with the usual cynicism by those whose hobby it seems to be to deny everything,

I am forced to assume that's aimed at me. I am not a cynic, I am a skeptic. Anything is possible, but so many of these have been revealed as pranks and there seems so little point to them that one has to wonder.
  • Like 2

I was on another web-site a few years back and there was a thread posted by a retired pilot who had owned a sky tour company that would take tourists up in small planes to see the crop circles from the air. According to his anonymous confession he and the owners of other planes had a few 'artists' they would pay to create crop circles for them to show, which explains why crop cicles went from a basic crop circle years ago to the relatively complicated designs that we see now. Even so some defy that explanation IMO.

I was about to post a message about how, of all the real mysteries out there, why do we waste energy on one where the resolution is so obvious. Then your "Take 3 deep breaths" entered my consciousness, so I decided not to. Still, I want to tell someone about the effect of your choice of signatures and what happened, so I have to. OK?

???

++

EDIT:

I see, that was meant for OverSword.

Edited by Abramelin

Sorry 'bout that. It was a message for the poster before yours, but your post got in before mine and I didn't handle it correctly.

AN Aussie historian believes he has buried forever the ‘cereal’ lie that crop circles are the work of hoaxers – by unearthing Black Country images of them dating back to 1945 and beyond.

It’s ‘barley’ believable, but Greg Jefferys has also uncovered evidence of the phenomenon in scientific documents dating back to 1880.

The boffin, from Hobart, Tasmania, says his findings prove there’s more to the mysterious circles than hoaxers playing silly tricks.

I'll say something else: those "old crop circles" (watch all the black&white photos) look like what was left of some structure, especially the one with the long, V-shaped lines connected to the small circle on top:

http://i4.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article1244870.ece/ALTERNATES/s2197/PM2689458@.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

Yes they are - claims me.

Now give your supporting evidence.

The Nazca lines can be seen as one of the oldest known crop circle type things, and were likely created by men. So just because something is old doesn't mean it wasn't created by someone here.

That aside, I still feel that the 'hoaxing' came after the phenomena became well known enough to warrant the slightly bizarre interest. It became a challenge to match what was already seen and not understood; how these things could be created so geometrically accurate and quickly in some random field in the middle of nowhere. Eccentric unknown artist with no appreciation for notoriety, travelling the world to make his masterpieces, waiting someone would see them and later attempt to recreate his work? Suddenly the idea that something we don't understand making them got a little less hard to believe for me.

• Like 2

Because I said so.

Boom. Evidence. :)

I know you're trying to be funny, but your aim is off. The person in the article was attempting to give his view, with the best supporting evidence he could find.

Not because "boom, I say so".

• Like 3

I know you're trying to be funny, but your aim is off. The person in the article was attempting to give his view, with the best supporting evidence he could find.

Not because "boom, I say so".

Evidence of what? Circles?

Does anyone have the coordinates?

One of the photos has these:

52° 25' 46.91" N 2° 02' 53.72" W

And it are the coordinates of a blobbish whitish circle.

For the interesting one(s), no coordinates are available on the photos.

Edited by Abramelin

Eccentric unknown artist with no appreciation for notoriety, travelling the world to make his masterpieces, waiting someone would see them and later attempt to recreate his work? Suddenly the idea that something we don't understand making them got a little less hard to believe for me.

While there are crop circle around the world as you say, 98% of them are in England, and why so called artists would create them and remain anonymous I explained in my previous post.

Thank you for the post. Two of these circles are so outstanding I don't see how any hoaxster could have accomplished them.Very interesting.

• Like 1

Except that Terry Wilson had already complied documented reports of circles and pictograms going back into the 1800s; his book The Secret History of Crop Circles was published by the CCCS in 1998.

• Like 2

Good Luck with your post on Crop Designs, a very interesting phenomena, but you may find some comments less than helpful in trying to investigate the mystery.

• Like 1

I am forced to assume that's aimed at me. I am not a cynic, I am a skeptic. Anything is possible, but so many of these have been revealed as pranks and there seems so little point to them that one has to wonder.

Why do you assume it was aimed at you? It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just people who automatically say that "it couldn't possibly be" to everything.

• Like 1

Why do you assume it was aimed at you? It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just people who automatically say that "it couldn't possibly be" to everything.

OK, I'll accept that.