Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Medieval Chastity Belts Are a Myth

Anomalocaris

A German print from the late 1500s, now at The British Museum, depicts a young, mostly naked woman bidding her husband farewell. As she does so, she hands him a key, to the a locked belt around her waist, her only bit of clothing. In the shadows lurks another man with a second key, the man leaving has the donkey-ears of a cuckold and is visually compared to a fool in the corner attempting to keep fleas in a basket, a doomed attempt for sure. You are likely familiar with the concept of the chastity belt — a piece of hardware that literally locked up a wife or daughter's netherregions, used in the middle ages. The problem is that they never actually existed.

Medieval Chastity Belts Are a Myth

• Like 1

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Merc14

• Harry_Dresden

• Anomalocaris

Top Posters In This Topic

Personel hygiene would be a problem...

I've never been able to find anything that supports the suggestion of chastity belts and every woman I know would have solved that little lock problem about ten minutes after the idiot left for wherever he was going. Maybe I am surrounded by tough women but I don't think that is the case and I think this is a myth as the author has suggested. Once again, prove they existed if that is your hypothesis because it isn't our job to prove they didn't