Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what's your personal religion?

Beany

Well thanks for this chance to talk about my personal views rather than only responding to things others post.

I was raised an atheist Communist, and, as such, went to school in the US for awhile, becoming acquainted with Christianity and the western forms of philosophical Buddhism. As such nowadays I consider myself also a Buddhist, and now think some of the ideas of Buddhism, such as rebirth and enlightenment and the phenomenon of the Bodhisattva, probably have a reality to them.

I'm not a very good Buddhist, though, as I often lose patience and tend to think in Western terms of correct and error rather than in Buddhist terms of perspective. I am of course still an atheist and Communist (in how I think society and the economy should be organized), but these contain no inherent contradictions with Buddhism. Unlike earlier Communism, few modern Communists push for world revolution and do not forsee an upcoming collapse of the Western economic system -- just its gradual evolution.

• Like 2

Every now & then I experience a perfect moment, like tonight. A cool breeze blowing, the big dipper directly overhead, the sound of the surf so loud it sounds like it's on the next block, and a quiet mind. Having these small moments fills me with gratitude. This is my own personal religion. No dogma, no explanations, no excuses, no written words, no prophesy, no fear, no guilt, just simply being.

Anyone else have these moments? They never last very long, I try not to hold on to them, they're always unexpected, and I know it will come around again. In the meantime, chop wood, carry water.

Nice post.

I know the feelings you describe. Moments like that don't need to be unexpected. I think we can actively seek them.

Getting out into the forest close to where I live will do it for me. Especially when I come across something like this:

Whatipu-Destruction-Gully-Track-looking-towards-Parautae2.jpg

• Like 7

Nice thread! Made my night, just from the couple posts. And I could listen to Van Morrison endlessly.

Viewing the northern lights while in the middle of a body of water as smooth as glass accompanied by silence.

One of my best moments ever.

Simpler: A nap on a hanging bench on a rainy afternoon with the windows open and a rain scented breeze blowing the sheers.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

Interesting concept, discussing religion in the Philosophy and Psychology forum.

Nevertheless, religion-wise, I have many beliefs. I believe that I'll never know whether or not god exists. I believe that I don't care whether or not it can be proved that god exists.

I believe that I exist in a fantastic universe that will never give us the answers as to 'who we are' and more importantly, 'why we are here'.

I believe that, in our case (humankind), the questions are more important than the answers. Maybe that's why spirituality intrigues us so much? We posed a question to ourselves that can never be answered. I believe that we just keep asking ourselves those seemingly impossible questions, just to keep ourselves going. I believe that if we ever thought that we answered all our questions, we'd stagnate and die.

I believe that the answer to our existence is to question the reasons for our existence and that should never end. Our path, hopefully, is the Möbius Strip.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

Listening to the birds sing or petting your cat or dog or other pet.

its that simple saying "just be being"

945038_10152884546605475_30652608_n.jpg

sometimes we demand what possibilities should be ... and forget that possibilities is just what is preceding it ...

the previous step ... and the next step and the next ...

sometimes we stumble because we tries to hop, most times we freeze because we dare not take another step

but life has to go on ... we either go on with life reluctantly ... or we go on without it with realisations or without

`

I am an atheist Christian. Anyone who finds that confusing, can google it.

• Like 3

The smell of the ocean carried on a crisp breeze.

The feel of the wind in my hair.

The first kiss of sunshine when I step outside.

The cold of the tip of my nose on a frosty morning and seeing my own breath as an exhalation of fog before me.

Dew on the grass and the scent that comes with it.

I could go on and on.

There is a line in a song called "Miracle Drug" by U2 that I have always absolutely loved and really nails it for me:

"Freedom has a scent, like the top of a new born baby's head

The songs are in your eyes, I see them when you smile

I've seen enough, I'm not giving up....."

• Like 2

I guess i'm a non-practicing Catholic. I considered myself Agnostic because i didn't believe in religion, the bible, etc, but i still believed in a higher power, so that didn't fit. So i'm someone who believes along those lines, lol.

• Like 1

Cosmology.

As in, the science of the natural universe. What is all around us is unbelievable beautiful, astonishingly simple yet intricate and complex, and all built upon relatively simple basic building blocks that obey some basic and logical - and some strange and seemingly illogical - laws...

That is all plenty for me, without inventing all-powerful (yet weirdly unfair and vengeful) overlords and other similar fantastic inventions to try to explain it...

Religion is a social and cultural affair, as well as being personal, and I think we err if we leave out these aspects. Personal feelings are not religion, although they can be part of it.

• Like 2

Hearing my son cry for the first time when he was born was mind altering.

Music can also take me to a special private paradise. I love music.

• Like 2

Nice post.

I know the feelings you describe. Moments like that don't need to be unexpected. I think we can actively seek them.

Getting out into the forest close to where I live will do it for me. Especially when I come across something like this:

Whatipu-Destruction-Gully-Track-looking-towards-Parautae2.jpg

That literally took my breath away for a moment.Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

Cosmology.

As in, the science of the natural universe. What is all around us is unbelievable beautiful, astonishingly simple yet intricate and complex, and all built upon relatively simple basic building blocks that obey some basic and logical - and some strange and seemingly illogical - laws...

That is all plenty for me, without inventing all-powerful (yet weirdly unfair and vengeful) overlords and other similar fantastic inventions to try to explain it...

Well said, Chrizs. The natural universe is my church, my deity, it's where I re-discover the sacred over & over, where my ego momentarily disappears. This may sounds weird, but often when I look at the night sky and think about how small & unimportant & temporal I am, I am comforted.

• Like 2

Modern people in advanced countries can find many pleasures and don't suffer all that much if they control their desires. Most people around the world are not so fortunate, and spend their days in toil and uncertainty. Other sentient beings on the planet definately are even worse off. In the fullness of time we all must deal with the aging and death of our loved ones and of ourselves.

In short, life is a b****, and then we die.

This is I know the opposite of the (to me) sentimental posts seen above, but it is the reality of life. I think the foundation of religion must be the recognition of that reality and the avoidance of trying to whitewash it.

• Like 1

There are those moments when all is right with the universe and I am at peace.

I was raised Christian Methodist, but married Baptists so that's where I've spent most of my church years.

I believe in God (higher power) but I think He checked out a long time ago. We as humans were an experiment gone wrong and He's moved on. I think we are now pretty much on our own.

I do believe in life after death as in we continue to exist in some way but perhaps not the streets of gold, harps and butterflies kind of thing. Not even sure about the eternal damnation thing, either.

Happiness is where you find it, fate is what you make it, and your destiny is in your own hands.

• Like 4

Religion is a social and cultural affair, as well as being personal, and I think we err if we leave out these aspects. Personal feelings are not religion, although they can be part of it.

I was referring to the experience, not the feelings around it. The feelings are a result of the experience. The experience itself is akin to the mystical. And I see no reason why I can't have a set of religious/spiritual beliefs that are unique to me. Although I suspect there are a lot more people like me, who are done with religious institutions and are seeking or have found a direct experience of the divine, however momentary that experience may be; it is a teaching & learning moment.

• Like 1

I was raised Christian Methodist, but married Baptists so that's where I've spent most of my church years.

I believe in God (higher power) but I think He checked out a long time ago. We as humans were an experiment gone wrong and He's moved on. I think we are now pretty much on our own.

I do believe in life after death as in we continue to exist in some way but perhaps not the streets of gold, harps and butterflies kind of thing. Not even sure about the eternal damnation thing, either.

Happiness is where you find it, fate is what you make it, and your destiny is in your own hands.

I love that last line. You captured my philosophy in a just a few words.

• Like 1

Every now & then I experience a perfect moment, like tonight. A cool breeze blowing, the big dipper directly overhead, the sound of the surf so loud it sounds like it's on the next block, and a quiet mind. Having these small moments fills me with gratitude. This is my own personal religion. No dogma, no explanations, no excuses, no written words, no prophesy, no fear, no guilt, just simply being.

Anyone else have these moments? They never last very long, I try not to hold on to them, they're always unexpected, and I know it will come around again. In the meantime, chop wood, carry water.

Oh my, the last couple of months, umm most everyday. It is not like I don't have ups and downs and totally lose it, that is life, but I have come to the place within myself where all is one and I am at peace.

This kind of says it all. Enjoy.

• Like 2

179705_602618396428978_1217632487_n.jpg

my mantra for quite some time now ... why worry ? Live .... as life let live ...

:tu:

`

• Like 3

I look at desastersand can vsee god's hands in there. The tornado that flattened a schooo but no one was killed in it. A man surviving for two weeks in a building flatened by an earth guake. Another earthguake which should have killed thousands but only hundreds were due to the timing of the quake. Another city were thousands should have been hurt but onl ten were hurt and only one was killed again due to timing. God is every where. The neww born

• Like 1

My personal religion? Very interesting question. I have to think a while before I can answer...

There are many good answers already posted on this thread and many of them agree with my belief.

I belong to a big christian community but this is rather a family and social issue and has not much influence on my own (secret) believes.

The song 'Personal Jesus' from Depeche Mode comes into my mind:

Your own Personal Jesus

Someone to hear your prayers

Someone who cares

Someone who's there

Throughout my live I had many mysterious experiences and that's probably why I ended up on this website. I will tell about them when an according topic comes up.

I think many of us at least HOPE that our existence does not end with death. Nobody knows for sure but let's consider it. What consequences would the possibility of afterlife have?

First of all I think that the problems wouldn't stop. Keeping the balance right is always extremely important.

When we die we not only lose our money and wealth but also our memorization.

The only thing which possibly stays is our personality and character, which is in my view identical with our soul.

So I believe that fighting negative habits is always a good thing and I think all religions in the world can agree with that. Jealousy, enviousness and avarice should be wiped out in a strong personality and this is possible. Even when our societies teach us to be greedy.

To eliminate 'Hate' is more difficult. Perhaps because it is related to 'Love'. I admit that I have still problems with this habit and think that sometimes it could be necessary...

Well, I don't know, may be someone else has an idea about this.

• Like 1

I was referring to the experience, not the feelings around it. The feelings are a result of the experience. The experience itself is akin to the mystical. And I see no reason why I can't have a set of religious/spiritual beliefs that are unique to me.

The definition of religion denotes something that binds or ties people together. This is also why I abstained from this poll.

• Like 1