Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Abandoned Colony in Greenland


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

http://www.spiegel.d...d-a-876626.html

For years, researchers have puzzled over why Viking descendents abandoned Greenland in the late 15th century. But archaeologists now believe that economic and identity issues, rather than starvation and disease, drove them back to their ancestral homes.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,401 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Same thing happened there that does to many small towns.  They young have nothing to do so they leave.


#3    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Joined:14 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

This ties into the article I posted a week or so back. Finally, breaking the old-myth that the Norse were too stubborn to adapt to the changing climate - when in reality it was economics and people leaving for greener pastures that. Nice article btw. :)

I think a better question that needs answering is where did the last 1000 or so Greenlanders go? There appear to be no records of their arrival in Iceland/Norway or the like, and there is no evidence of a mass death or the such in greenland... personally, I believe they headed for parts unknown in the new world. Many were lost on the voyages and the remainders survived and either assimilated into the natives (who later died out due to old world diseases the norse did not have) or their new colony died for other reasons (bad luck), and we simply have not found said missing settlement yet.

Cheers.

Edited by Bavarian Raven, 10 January 2013 - 10:10 PM.


#4    wimfloppp

wimfloppp

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined:14 Jan 2013

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I think that they would find living elsewhere much better then living in greenland. For one thing the weather elsewhere would be better.


#5    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,721 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postwimfloppp, on 14 January 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

I think that they would find living elsewhere much better then living in greenland. For one thing the weather elsewhere would be better.

Yep, somewhere they wouldn't freeze to death would definitely be preferable.

Edited by WoIverine, 14 January 2013 - 04:24 PM.


#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 17,791 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

As someone who's done some geneological research regarding Norway, there is really not a lot of good records from the 15th century. Other then church birth and marriage records, and political records, there is very little before the 19th century. These people could have easily returned to Norway and disappeared into the population.

It would be cool to be a decendant of one of these guys. Wonder if a homesteading claim could be filed??

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

They failed as any other civilization. Greed and social reasons.

There are just few exception. Such as Khmers. They vanished due thier poop.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#8    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Nice to see the news being up to date. Had a lecture on this months ago...


#9    Swede

Swede

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,382 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

View Postthe L, on 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

http://www.spiegel.d...d-a-876626.html

For years, researchers have puzzled over why Viking descendents abandoned Greenland in the late 15th century. But archaeologists now believe that economic and identity issues, rather than starvation and disease, drove them back to their ancestral homes.

L - The referenced research and the interpretation of such is indeed interesting. As Setton noted, this research has been available for some time now.

However, it may be worthwhile to bear in mind that, even by the authors' own evaluation, the environmental aspects played a notable [if not decisive] role in this and other related settlement activities. To quote from the article:

The Medieval Warm Period had made it possible for settlers from Norway, Iceland and Denmark to live on hundreds of scattered farms along the protected fjords, where they built dozens of churches and even had bishops.

The bone analyses prove that, when the warm period came to an end, the Greenlandic farmers and ranchers switched to a seafood-based diet with surprising rapidity.

Summer temperatures fell, violent storms raged around the houses and the winters were bone-chillingly cold. For the cattle that had been brought to Greenland, there was less and less to eat in the pastures and meadows along the fjords.

http://www.spiegel.d...d-a-876626.html

In short, the dietary, trade, and cultural isolation aspects can all be tied to the environmental changes that the colonists experienced.

When evaluating/interpreting archaeological research, environmental factors, in any given scenario, are worthy of due consideration and incorporation.

.


#10    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

View PostSwede, on 15 January 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

L - The referenced research and the interpretation of such is indeed interesting. As Setton noted, this research has been available for some time now.

However, it may be worthwhile to bear in mind that, even by the authors' own evaluation, the environmental aspects played a notable [if not decisive] role in this and other related settlement activities. To quote from the article:

The Medieval Warm Period had made it possible for settlers from Norway, Iceland and Denmark to live on hundreds of scattered farms along the protected fjords, where they built dozens of churches and even had bishops.

The bone analyses prove that, when the warm period came to an end, the Greenlandic farmers and ranchers switched to a seafood-based diet with surprising rapidity.

Summer temperatures fell, violent storms raged around the houses and the winters were bone-chillingly cold. For the cattle that had been brought to Greenland, there was less and less to eat in the pastures and meadows along the fjords.

http://www.spiegel.d...d-a-876626.html

In short, the dietary, trade, and cultural isolation aspects can all be tied to the environmental changes that the colonists experienced.

When evaluating/interpreting archaeological research, environmental factors, in any given scenario, are worthy of due consideration and incorporation.

.

Thats what this article said. Why did they switch to sea food?
Also we often forget that they didnt want to adopt to new situation. Inuits survived.

Edited by the L, 15 January 2013 - 05:56 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#11    Swede

Swede

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,382 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

View Postthe L, on 15 January 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Thats what this article said. Why did they switch to sea food?
Also we often forget that they didnt want to adopt to new situation. Inuits survived.

Am rather unsure of the intent of this question. The causation of the dietary shift is quite apparent.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Swede, 16 January 2013 - 12:11 AM.


#12    Sundew

Sundew

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:An island by the sea.

  • Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

This just seem apropos somehow:

A-ah-ahh-ah, ah-ah-ahh-ah
We come from the land of the ice and snow
from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow

The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde and sing and cry, Valhalla, I am coming

On we sweep with, with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore

Ah-ah-ahh-ah, ah-ah-ahh-ah
We come from the land of the ice and snow
from the midnight sun where the hot springs FLOW
How soft your fields, so green
can whisper tales of gore, of how we calmed the tides of war
We are your overlords

On we sweep with, with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore

S-so now you better stop and rebuild all your ruins
for peace and trust can winthe day despite of all you're losin'
Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh
Ahh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh
Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

The Immigrant Song  by Led Zeppelin


#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 17,791 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostSwede, on 16 January 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Am rather unsure of the intent of this question. The causation of the dietary shift is quite apparent.

Edit: Typo
I thought it was very clear. :yes:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

View Postthe L, on 15 January 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Thats what this article said. Why did they switch to sea food?
Also we often forget that they didnt want to adopt to new situation. Inuits survived.

How come that Iniuts didnt abandoned Grenland?
How come they survive?

Vikings ruin themselves due their greed and social turmoil. Climate chaange just speed up things.
It can be reason. Some historians like natural catastrophe as explaination why civilization fall.
Such as drought. But reasons are ALWAYS complex. Vikings on Grenland didnt vanished due Atlantis scenario.
Natural catastrophes are NEVER reason why one civilization fall.
Climate just push things.
If they wanted to surivive,to adopt to new climate they would survive. But their greed ruin them before climate.
Then they became relaxed. Secured. Which after they ruined themselves explode into moral decline.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#15    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Postthe L, on 16 January 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

How come that Iniuts didnt abandoned Grenland?
How come they survive?

Vikings ruin themselves due their greed and social turmoil. Climate chaange just speed up things.
It can be reason. Some historians like natural catastrophe as explaination why civilization fall.
Such as drought. But reasons are ALWAYS complex. Vikings on Grenland didnt vanished due Atlantis scenario.
Natural catastrophes are NEVER reason why one civilization fall.
Climate just push things.
If they wanted to surivive,to adopt to new climate they would survive. But their greed ruin them before climate.
Then they became relaxed. Secured. Which after they ruined themselves explode into moral decline.

Actually natural catastrophes can be the reason of the fall of a civilisation. For example,  The Mycenaean conquest of the Minoans occurred in Late Minoan II period, not many years after the eruption of Thera, and many archaeologists speculate that the eruption induced a crisis in Minoan civilization, which allowed the Mycenaeans to conquer them easily.

The Olmec decline is blamed on environmental changes caused by volcanic eruptions, earthquakes.

You are trying to bring it all down to one cause, trying to simplify it way to much. Besides bringing it all down to greed and moral decline is a bit too easy. Sorry but I don't agree with you on this.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users