Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lack Of Evidence for Milk’s Benefits

Big Bad Voodoo

Except for the fact that recent studies have found that one diet drink a week increases your risk of type 2 diabetes by 33 percent and a large diet drink increases the risk by 66 percent.

Do kids need milk? Is milk necessary for healthy bones and preventing osteoporosis? The data are clear, but our government polices don’t reflect the science.

Dairy and milk products do not promote healthy bones. In a large meta-analysis, milk did not reduce risk of fractures. Other studies have shown it can increase fracture rates. And the countries with the lowest milk consumption have the lowest risk of osteoporosis and fractures. Calcium is not all it’s cracked up to be. Studies show that higher calcium intakes are actually associated with higher risk of fracture.

Milk may not grow strong bones, but it does seem to grow cancer cells. Milk increases the hormone called IGF-1 or insulin-like growth factor, one that is like Miracle-Gro for cancer cells. Dairy products have been linked to prostate cancer. And cows are milked while pregnant (yes, even organic cows), filling milk with loads of reproductive and potentially cancer-causing hormones.

There is absolutely no biological requirement for milk.

Milk is not nature’s perfect food unless you are a calf and should not be consumed in large quantities by most people, because it can promote weight gain, cancer, and even cause osteoporosis

http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/07/05/got-proof-lack-of-evidence-for-milks-benefits/?utm_source=WhatCounts+Publicaster+Edition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=drhyman+newsletter+issue+%23132&utm_content=Got+Proof%3f+Lack+of%0D+Evidence+for+Milk%27s+Benefits+#close

Except for the fact that recent studies have found that one diet drink a week increases your risk of type 2 diabetes by 33 percent and a large diet drink increases the risk by 66 percent.

Do kids need milk? Is milk necessary for healthy bones and preventing osteoporosis? The data are clear, but our government polices don’t reflect the science.

Dairy and milk products do not promote healthy bones. In a large meta-analysis, milk did not reduce risk of fractures. Other studies have shown it can increase fracture rates. And the countries with the lowest milk consumption have the lowest risk of osteoporosis and fractures. Calcium is not all it’s cracked up to be. Studies show that higher calcium intakes are actually associated with higher risk of fracture.

Milk may not grow strong bones, but it does seem to grow cancer cells. Milk increases the hormone called IGF-1 or insulin-like growth factor, one that is like Miracle-Gro for cancer cells. Dairy products have been linked to prostate cancer. And cows are milked while pregnant (yes, even organic cows), filling milk with loads of reproductive and potentially cancer-causing hormones.

There is absolutely no biological requirement for milk.

Milk is not nature’s perfect food unless you are a calf and should not be consumed in large quantities by most people, because it can promote weight gain, cancer, and even cause osteoporosis

http://drhyman.com/b...Benefits #close

I love milk and milk products. I never drank it because I thought it was so healthy. I actually drink a lot of milk and 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee and I have never been overweight. I think something that a lot of these articles neglect to tell you is that although diet does contribute to weight a lot of it is genetic. No women in my family have ever been overweight. I do know that I have some genetic ability to efficiently clear circulating fats from my system. I have very high HDL, low LDL, and ridiculously low triglycerides. I am not sure if that has something to do with why I have always been thin.

• Like 1

^ditto

metabolism plays a big part in diet intake ... everyone is built differently ... the Orientals / Eastern Cultures knew it all along ...

milk and milk products was never that important in our daily diet ...

~

• Like 1

Where in the hell did you come up with this????? What an absolutely absurd conclusion for anyone to draw much less believe.

Where in the hell did you come up with this????? What an absolutely absurd conclusion for anyone to draw much less believe.

From the link! :w00t:

From the link! :w00t:

The article is about milk, you are discussing a massive increase in type 2 diabetes from an incredibly small amount of diet soda. :w00t:

Edited by Merc14

What can I say guys... I have lactose intolernace.

I developed it a few years ago, after a lifetime of enjoying dairy (I was a dairy fiend!) At first I was disappointed as it was quite an adjustment to cut out dairy. But to be honest, I don't feel any differently since I stopped having it. Even though I buy milk substitutes or "lactose friendly" type products, I find I rarely have them anyways. Thanks for posting the article: I had wondered when they were going to find that cows milk isn't everything it's been cracked up to be.

The article is about milk, you are discussing a massive increase in type 2 diabetes from an incredibly small amount of diet soda. :w00t:

Errr....did you read link?

I developed it a few years ago, after a lifetime of enjoying dairy (I was a dairy fiend!) At first I was disappointed as it was quite an adjustment to cut out dairy. But to be honest, I don't feel any differently since I stopped having it. Even though I buy milk substitutes or "lactose friendly" type products, I find I rarely have them anyways. Thanks for posting the article: I had wondered when they were going to find that cows milk isn't everything it's been cracked up to be.

Goat milk is healthy. Goats are animals that dont have cnacer.

I feel amazing after I stop using milk and cheese. Take calcium in tablets. It helps you for many things and also lack of calcium cause us to sweat.

No cheese??? May as well shoot me... :cry:

• Like 6

No cheese??? May as well shoot me... :cry:

That was my reaction. Especially because from geography I come we have big numbers of fine cheese.

Travnički sir (Cheese from Travnik) Livanjski sir (Cheese from Livno) Paški sir (Cheese from Island Pag) Grabancijaš (Hard to translate) ...

But you can eat cheese from goats and sheeps.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

That was my reaction. Especially because from geography I come we have big numbers of fine cheese.

Travnički sir (Cheese from Travnik) Livanjski sir (Cheese from Livno) Paški sir (Cheese from Island Pag) Grabancijaš (Hard to translate) ...

But you can eat cheese from goats and sheeps.

Goat cheese is one of the few cheeses I don't like...sheep is good. We had goats when I was growing up, and I know this sounds strange, but goat cheese tastes like goats smell. I never did like that smell. lol

Goat cheese is one of the few cheeses I don't like...sheep is good. We had goats when I was growing up, and I know this sounds strange, but goat cheese tastes like goats smell. I never did like that smell. lol

Yes it have bad smell. But so as many cheese I eat before.

Especially those with funghi. Which is bad for candida in colon. But still...its hard to say no.

Cheese, wine and pršut (specialy prepared meat from my country) and Im in paradise.

• Like 1

Michelle did you know that milk from Yak is pink? I never drink it but always wonder how pink cheese would taste.

The milk given by the animal is meant for its child. theres also the morality question considering you are stealing the milk from the animal. I`m curious though how would this apply to human millk, would that be healthy?

Edited by The Lone Ranger

Michelle did you know that milk from Yak is pink? I never drink it but always wonder how pink cheese would taste.

I did not know that. I've never had the opportunity but I'd give it a try.

I did not know that. I've never had the opportunity but I'd give it a try.

Yup me too. ..Im glad that I met one cheeselover from USA... :wub: ...Cheese link people. I always knew there is more in cheese then we are told. :w00t:

• Like 1

Errr....did you read link?

Err, yes, I found it and I followed teh link to the study. err did you dd that. Here is an excerpt:

A total of 66,118 women were followed from 1993, and 1369 incident cases of T2D were diagnosed during the follow-up. Cox regression models were used to estimate HRs and 95% CIs for T2D risk.

Err, that works out to 2% contracted type 2 diabetes over a 14 year period. Now this study was NOT about diet sodas but in fact was about consumption of sugar based sodas but they extrapolated the data for articficially sweetend sodas. The study also categorically states that there were other issues involved so the 2% wasn't caused just by soda consumption.

My question to you is how in the hell did you come up with " recent studies have found that one diet drink a week increases your risk of type 2 diabetes by 33 percent and a large diet drink increases the risk by 66 percent." when only 2% total contracted diabetes in total and of that number only a small pecentage was possibly caused by sodas?

• Like 1

Yak milk is not normally pink. Occasionally immediately after birth there is some blood in the milk turning it pink, and this can happen with other animals too including humans. But normally yak milk is a creamy white much like other milks.

There is high fat, normal fat, low fat and no fat (skimmed) milk. There are also milks with various syrups added, or just plain lactose or even fructose added. It's kinda amazing that these stories never make it clear what kind of milk is being talked about.

There is also a cult out there about adding "artificial" sweeteners. In short an awful lot of people have an awful lot of axes they are grinding away on.

The most valuable nutrient in milk is high quality easily digested and absorbed protein. This comes packaged with a nice dose of minerals in just the right proportions.

Obviously high fat and high sugar (especially fructose) should be avoided; more than likely even so-called "low fat" milk has too much fat. Some cheese as long as you are moderate is excellent. It takes longer to eat and longer to absorb.

The real culprit in all this are the soft beverage, fruit juice (fructose) and alcohol indistries.

There is high fat, normal fat, low fat and no fat (skimmed) milk. There are also milks with various syrups added, or just plain lactose or even fructose added. It's kinda amazing that these stories never make it clear what kind of milk is being talked about.

There is also a cult out there about adding "artificial" sweeteners. In short an awful lot of people have an awful lot of axes they are grinding away on.

The most valuable nutrient in milk is high quality easily digested and absorbed protein. This comes packaged with a nice dose of minerals in just the right proportions.

Obviously high fat and high sugar (especially fructose) should be avoided; more than likely even so-called "low fat" milk has too much fat. Some cheese as long as you are moderate is excellent. It takes longer to eat and longer to absorb.

The real culprit in all this are the soft beverage, fruit juice (fructose) and alcohol indistries.

I hate skim milk and I am never moderate with cheese.

There is high fat, normal fat, low fat and no fat (skimmed) milk.

Low fat sounds like our semi-skimmed which is what I buy. Normal fat I find too creamy and skimmed is too watery.

I like a glass of cold milk straight from the fridge, but will drink it heated up in coffee made with all milk, and in tea..... I drink a lot of tea and I love cheese and yogurts too.

My husband's dad used to take home milk to them straight from the cow!

• Like 1

Err, yes, I found it and I followed teh link to the study. err did you dd that. Here is an excerpt:

A total of 66,118 women were followed from 1993, and 1369 incident cases of T2D were diagnosed during the follow-up. Cox regression models were used to estimate HRs and 95% CIs for T2D risk.

Err, that works out to 2% contracted type 2 diabetes over a 14 year period. Now this study was NOT about diet sodas but in fact was about consumption of sugar based sodas but they extrapolated the data for articficially sweetend sodas. The study also categorically states that there were other issues involved so the 2% wasn't caused just by soda consumption.

My question to you is how in the hell did you come up with " recent studies have found that one diet drink a week increases your risk of type 2 diabetes by 33 percent and a large diet drink increases the risk by 66 percent." when only 2% total contracted diabetes in total and of that number only a small pecentage was possibly caused by sodas?

Apparently he isn't going to answer me but this is a huge issue. People make these outlandish claims, based on almost nothing and not a single person questions it because a "scientist" or a "doctor" said it. In this case, the OP somehow discerned that if you have one diet soda a week you have a 33% greater chance of becoming T2 Diabetic. This is absurd! No where in this study can you come to any conclusion about artificial sweeteners and diabetes much less a number at these preposterous levels.

The doctor who authors this fraud site, while not being as delusional as The L, makes several very fraudulent statements regarding milk. Reading this article the uninformed idiot (the OP?) will come to the conclusion that milk is one of the most hazardous substances on earth to consume! Patently absurd. The Dr. even weaves in a bit of government conspiracy to make his case. He is very careful, however, to never say anything is certain thereby avoiding the inevitable lawsuits. What a load of Horse ****e. The man is a charlatan and a fraud, to say the least, None of the studies he so assiduously links come to any such conclusions.

This is garbage science at its worst. I don't know The L but I will be following him now. The warning I want to pass on is to look at these absurd statements and question them. A lab coat doesn't mean very much these days and "Scientists" and "Doctors" are all about money as much as anyone else so always question. When some idiot says that drinking a single diet soda a week will increase your chances of becoming T2 Diabetic by 33% ( a HUGE correlation statistically) question him or her.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2