Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Shuttle launches in historic final flight

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,449 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Politics aside we are still fighting the biggest problem of all. Our planets gravity. I have no idea what we could use but another , cheaper way of getting material to Low Earth Orbit would really kick start the Explorer dream many of us have. In my opinion Moon base mining for resources or even asteroid mining for water , fuel, and air will get us to the edges of our solar system. But these are a long time off as of right now because we cant get the tools to do it up there.

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#17    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 09 July 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

Hi ya Mid.  Ya the space race did end as soon as the US landed a man on the moon but there was always more compitition to be had. To bad the last 9 years have been wasted on war and not working on the next generation of space craft.  Will a new president do anything to revive NASA?

Silver--
I think a new President could do a great deal to revive NASA...spiritually, that is!
They need a concrete direction, and a mandate, supported by a Congress who understands the value of space exploration.  Many need a job.

This cycle of a new President, a mandate, a great Administrator who turns everything around, then another President, another Administrator who toes the new line, many jobs lost, no real future mandate and direction, and plans that change, and no one knows what they're going to be working in another year, if anything, has got to stop.

#18    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

View PostROGER, on 09 July 2011 - 06:49 PM, said:

Politics aside we are still fighting the biggest problem of all. Our planets gravity. I have no idea what we could use but another , cheaper way of getting material to Low Earth Orbit would really kick start the Explorer dream many of us have. In my opinion Moon base mining for resources or even asteroid mining for water , fuel, and air will get us to the edges of our solar system. But these are a long time off as of right now because we cant get the tools to do it up there.

I think you have it ROG.
We need the lift, and we need the craft.

#19    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,578 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Let me rub my two magic coins together ! ()()()()() Poof ! Now we are talking !
Maybe a few trillion dollars will help out the NASA short fall?
Bring back a few Hundred thousand troops from a mindless war you say?
Start spending the money on the needs of the Planet,people,growth,health you say?
Sounds impossible you say !

Its not actually,ITs all in the way that all the people vote and demand of our elected officials that gets things done.
THe excuse comes from a number of people on this rock that have the key to the bank. Greed is the overpowering game plan here.
NASA really deserves all we can provide to them. Space and the expolration from space of our own planet gives us a halfway shot of surviveing our own downfalls we are makeing on this world.

I hope that make sence. can we not do this? :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#20    Xpeople

Xpeople

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:08 AM

What is sad about this is that NASA is going to retire the best spacecraft ever built and nothing to replace it with?

#21    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

View PostXpeople, on 21 July 2011 - 01:08 AM, said:

What is sad about this is that NASA is going to retire the best spacecraft ever built and nothing to replace it with?

This was not a sad day.
This was a day for celebration, and by God we did somepartying today!

Some of the greatest people anywhere were honored, awarded, and fed well!
Not to say there weren't some tears...but over all, they were tears of joy at an astounding accomplishment.

What's on the boards are several private spacecraft being developed for LEO applications, and NASA will be working Orion and Heavy Lift vehicle plans for exploration missions.

i know it's been a lot to follow with all the administration vascillating, but there are concrete things in work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users