Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Economic freedom zones in detorit

spartan max2

So most people here know im a Rand Paul fan boy. Well he is going to Detroit to propose his method of fixing the city. http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/senator-rand-paul-heads-detroit-propose-economic-freedom-zones-video/#axzz2mZMYfiZu

From the article

Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) is heading to Detroit to propose “economic freedom zones,” which would be “a massive giveback of money that’s already yours.”

Paul believes that lowering the taxes in Detroit would be a true stimulus to the economy. He argues the city should reduce the corporate and individual income taxes to 5%, while abolishing the capital gains tax entirely. He also wants to bring payroll taxes down for workers and employers. Also, entrepreneurs will be incentivized to move to Detroit, making it a “new Hong Kong.”

Read more at TLR: Senator Rand Paul heads to Detroit to propose "economic freedom zones" (VIDEO) | The Libertarian Republic http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/senator-rand-paul-heads-detroit-propose-economic-freedom-zones-video/#ixzz2mcnbkS5i

Follow us: @LibRepublic on Twitter | LibertarianRepublic on Facebook

obviously I think this is a great ideal seeing how the policies the city has been under for the past decades has drove it in to the ground. It needs something new

• Like 4

Can't hurt. Why not give it a try?

Edit: Now that I think about it, it is a great idea. People throw out ideas about how to stimulate jobs and economic growth. "Tax the rich" "don't tax the rich, they create jobs". Why not use this little piece of the country to determine what will work?

Edited by Agent0range
  • Like 5

I listened to this idea last night. It sounds as though it might actually work. My guess is it will be killed because IF it did work, it would highlight the causes of the failures to begin with - can't have that now can we?

• Like 7

Can't hurt. Why not give it a try?

Edit: Now that I think about it, it is a great idea. People throw out ideas about how to stimulate jobs and economic growth. "Tax the rich" "don't tax the rich, they create jobs". Why not use this little piece of the country to determine what will work?

Good point, Detroit cant really get any worse so experimenting on it we would have none thing to loose.

• Like 1

The best way to do something like this is on a smaller scale first. Clearly Detroit has nothing to lose by trying this.

• Like 2

I think it sounds like a great idea, and it makes sense. Couldn't hurt to try. Throwing stimulus money at Detroit sure isn't working.....

• Like 3

Hmmm... they pass it - it turns into a rousing success and RP is a hero just in time for 2016? Uh huh..... Yeah, the Dems are gonna pass THAT ;)

• Like 4

I listened to this idea last night. It sounds as though it might actually work. My guess is it will be killed because IF it did work, it would highlight the causes of the failures to begin with - can't have that now can we?

Exactly. If such a plan were succesful, which I don't doubt it would be, it would serve to highlite the falsehoods of the current narritive. Can't go around being proved wrong now can we? I'm surprised they didn't kill the microphone during this proposal.
  • Like 3

What about Akron? What about Youngstown? What about Pittsburgh? Just Detroit? How long before there's another federal bureaucracy staffed full of thousands of overpaid employees handling another avalanche of paperwork from every wannabe economic freedom zone in the country until it becomes obvious there's two different sides of the tracks here, the economic freedom zones getting special treatment and the non economic freedom zones who aren't.

"Conservatives" (errr ehmmm Republicans) like CyberKen are quick to point out that "There aren't enough rich people".

But they never finish the sentence.

There aren't enough rich people - to pay for the spending. So they're in effect the new party of taxation without representation. They want to tax everyone ("50% of Americans pay no taxes, romble, romble, romble! blah blah blah!") especially and relevantly, the social classes and races and sexualities and other groups who disagree with their ideologies of proper governance.

What about Akron? What about Youngstown? What about Pittsburgh? Just Detroit? How long before there's another federal bureaucracy staffed full of thousands of overpaid employees handling another avalanche of paperwork from every wannabe economic freedom zone in the country until it becomes obvious there's two different sides of the tracks here, the economic freedom zones getting special treatment and the non economic freedom zones who aren't.

Im pretty sure Rand Paul wants the whole country to be a "economic free zone". His dream is to use Detroit to show how the free market can improve things. Since Detroit is in the worst shape and has been electing people who do the opposite of a free market for decades.

That's his dream anyways. But im sure the people in Detroit will keep electing the same type of people who got them in the mess.

• Like 3

Im pretty sure Rand Paul wants the whole country to be a "economic free zone". His dream is to use Detroit to show how the free market can improve things. Since Detroit is in the worst shape and has been electing people who do the opposite of a free market for decades.

That's his dream anyways. But im sure the people in Detroit will keep electing the same type of people who got them in the mess.

Just lower everyone's (corporate) taxes to be in-line or less than global averages. Problem solved. But since that's too difficult, I'm sure that after some bureaucrat parades 30 crying children from Detroit across the stage they'll get the extra Kleenex votes they need to pass a bill. I'm giving Rand Paul the benefit of the doubt that he knows he needs legislative power to pull something like this off, not some fantastical wonder-twin power from the executive branch.

This Detroit dream is a beautiful political experiment though, obviously. This kind of special treatment from the federal government is fundamentally why I couldn't/can't/wouldn't/won't vote for Obama in 2008 or 2012.

mark-carney-the-candy-man-of-central-banking.jpg

No more Candy Man. Lower taxes across the board, and then get out of the way (i.e. stop the spending).

Edited by Yamato

Never work because of one thing - UNIONS.

What power could they possibly have there?

The Unions that are left certainly don't have the sway they used to.

Good idea, because there is never success without attempt.

Can the decission be taken by the local government (governor?) or needs

that to get approved by a higher level of government?

Edited by toast

What power could they possibly have there?

The Unions that are left certainly don't have the sway they used to.

Well when you're the king of ****, you're still kingl

I don't know i saw some sort of documentary where the corporations were running the ruins of Detroit, it didn't turn out well. They invested in the police to try to control them then introduced their own police robot called the ED 209. Seemed like a bit of a bad outcome for Detroit.

Supervike are you high? There was just something on the news showing the union folks protesting in Detroit over the bankruptcy ruling. They unions seem massively powerful there.