Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Does the Spirit World exist?

poll spirit world god heaven hell

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Does the Spirit world exist? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Doess the Spirit world exist?

1. No, it doesn't, only the material universe exists. We live and we die, gameover. (8 votes [14.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

2. The spirtual world as we call it is merely an extension of the physical universe. (8 votes [14.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

3. There may be a spirtual world, but since I have never experienced it, I remain a skeptic. (9 votes [16.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

4. Yes the spirit world exists, but that does not mean that it is the biblical one. (17 votes [30.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.91%

5. Yes, the spirit world exists, as expressed by the bible. (13 votes [23.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Jor-el, on 26 March 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I voted for both of these, I hope you guys realize that you could choose more than one option at the same time... :yes:

I already cast my vote,wont let me go back  :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#17    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

If one can accept the existance of God, than the spirit world becomes the ultimately true reality of us all. It may be hard for some to accept, but if you accept God, you accept the spirit world. That is the bargain.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#18    spayneuter

spayneuter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• Live Long And Prosper.
    Please spay and neuter.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Stephen Hawking and I believe that when we die, we are just dead.  ( Did you all notice to give myself more validity I included Stephen Hawking? )

What a man dwells on, he becomes.

#19    MisterCee

MisterCee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• "Quando omni flunkus moritati"

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

I chose the 'skeptic' answer because I have never experienced it.  Been bedside at the passing of family members and haven't felt any 'presence' or 'spirit' or anything.  However, I don't rule it out as possible.  I'm reading 'The New Science of Psychedelics' by David Jay Brown on Scribd and one of the chapters is 'What Happens to Consciousness after Death?'  Quite a variety of responses...

#20    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

spayneuter, on 27 March 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

Stephen Hawking and I believe that when we die, we are just dead.  ( Did you all notice to give myself more validity I included Stephen Hawking? )

Mr. Hawking believes black holes are tape recorders.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#21    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,552 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

AquilaChrysaetos, on 27 March 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

If one can accept the existance of God, than the spirit world becomes the ultimately true reality of us all. It may be hard for some to accept, but if you accept God, you accept the spirit world. That is the bargain.
Or virtually any god for that matter.

#22    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,613 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Jor-el, on 26 March 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

In essence I am not differentiating between the two. The "spirit world" and the "spirtual world" are one and the same thing, although there is now a modern tendency to define spirutality in non spiritual terms. As in appreciating nature is a spirtual approach to maintaining your balance in this world.

It is an attempt to deflate the meaning of the term without losing the vocabulary.

In my view, the spirit world is that which is beyond our physical world. It is the abode of the dead, their spiritual bodies exist in this place. The place itself has a sort of geography to it, and being in one place there is not the same as being in another.

In christian terms, we could define this as the place of the saved and the place of the damned. We could add to this a place of the lost, those that are neither saved or damned. But in essence, we are talking of the spirit world, a place of demons and angels, of heaven and hell among other well known concepts.

Thanks for the clarification. One of the great things about questions like this is it helps me clarify & better define my own beliefs.

#23    stillvoice

stillvoice

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I remain open to the possibility that consciousness (or mind, spirit etc.) continues to exist in some form after biological extinction but nothing in my experience has shown this to be true and the purported evidence of life after death appears to be vague and inconclusive.

If biological extinction is not the end I cannot conceive of an afterlife having any resemblance to the classical religious depictions of the 'soul' and even new age spiritual thinking with its assertions that the energy which constitutes consciousness ascends to another plane of being seems to be somehow inadequate in describing what happens upon physical extinction.

If life after death is real it may be completely alien to any hitherto conception of an 'afterlife' and whose to say it would be any better than our present lives? Perhaps nothingness and oblivion is preferable to something beyond our comprehension and completely removed from our superstitious preconceptions and notions of life after death?

Edited by stillvoice, 29 March 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

stillvoice, on 29 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

I remain open to the possibility that consciousness (or mind, spirit etc.) continues to exist in some form after biological extinction but nothing in my experience has shown this to be true and the purported evidence of life after death appears to be vague and inconclusive.

If biological extinction is not the end I cannot conceive of an afterlife having any semblance to the classical religious depictions of the 'soul' and even new age spiritual thinking with its assertions that the energy which constitutes consciousness ascends to another plane of being seems to be somehow inadequate in describing what happens upon physical extinction.

If life after death is real it may be completely alien to any hitherto conception of an 'afterlife' and whose to say it would be any better than our present lives? Perhaps nothingness and oblivion is preferable to something beyond our comprehension and completely removed from our superstitious preconceptions and notions of life after death?

Mormon belief.  The majorty of us will be living on earth.  Some in the capital city(for want of a better word),  all will get their bodies back.  These bodies will not have any blood in them.  Some of us and all of the fallen angels will end unp in outer darkness(hell), it is called that'due the lack of gods presence.  Some of us will live with god, some of those will become gods.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#25    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,857 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Whether a spirit world exists or not, there is no evidence for it.  That being so, there is no substantial difference between it existing and not existing.  So as a practical matter, it doesn't exist.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#26    MonkeyOrchid

MonkeyOrchid

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• I see Candy's in my sleep !

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I voted 'maybe' because I hope there is but the sceptic inside wanted to vote for 'no' .

#27    spayneuter

spayneuter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• Live Long And Prosper.
    Please spay and neuter.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

danielost, on 28 March 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

Mr. Hawking believes black holes are tape recorders.

Huh?

What a man dwells on, he becomes.

#28    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yes the spirit world exists, but that does not mean that it is the biblical one.

No Satan, no Hell!

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#29    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

spayneuter, on 29 March 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Huh?

Hawking believes that black holes record everything they eat.  To be used later to make a new universe.

#30    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,157 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hawking is a brilliant intellect but I think he must also be a bit insecure.  By rejecting the idea of a creative entity he is assuming that the mind of man is all there is.  Arrogant if you ask me.  Since no evidence exists I feel quite comfortable in my faith in the Bible.  I'm sure that there are portions of it that have been misunderstood and we will be quite surprised when it is explained some day but it is the only text that explains some of what will be before it happens.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

Also tagged with poll, spirit world, god, heaven, hell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users