Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attack in Canada 'now probable': CSIS report

__Kratos__

It is "now probable" that an Islamic extremist group will try to launch an attack on Canadian soil, the director of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service warns in a report just made public.

"During the past year, Canada and Canadian interests abroad continued to be under threat from al-Qaeda and its affiliated groups,'' Jim Judd said in his 2004-05 report to the public safety minister.

The Canadian Press obtained a copy of the report on Tuesday through an access to information request.

"While the threat remains concentrated overseas, an attack on Canadian soil is now probable," Judd wrote.

The annual report was top secret when it was hand-delivered in November to Anne McLellan, the Liberal MP who held the public safety portfolio at the time.

A declassified copy of Judd's report was handed over to the Canadian Press.

Both McLellan and her government were defeated in the Jan. 23 election, and Conservative Stockwell Day is now the public safety minister.

Canada appeared on two different lists of target countries prepared by Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, in November 2002 and March 2004.

Canadian soldiers have recently taken on a higher-profile role in Afghanistan, trying to eradicate remnants of the former Taliban government, which gave shelter to bin Laden before and after the attacks against the United States in September, 2001.

Conservatives aware of warning

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's acting national security adviser told the Canadian Press Tuesday that the Conservatives are aware of Judd's warning and the continued threat.

"We're just trying to increase the level of sophistication as to how we refine that consideration of the threat, where it might come, how it might come,'' said Stephen Rigby.

Last week's budget set aside $95 million for a fund to let rail and public transit operators pay for measures designed to protect passengers from the kind of carnage caused in 2005 when militants bombed the transit system in London, England.

The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority, which handles airport security across the country, is also getting more money for its operations -- $133 million this fiscal year.

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• The Silver Thong

• PLO

• Fluffybunny

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s because we’re participating in Afghanistan. I know they’ll target downtown Toronto, damm I live in downtown Toronto. :ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by DR. YO

I do think Canada will be hit with something and soon. We are the last country on al-Qaeda's hit list.

Canada has delt with Terrorists before, We come down on them like an Iron fist. Remember the FLQ and the thousands of soldiers in Montreal :P

And BTW it has allways been probable that foriegn terrorits will target Canada.

~Thanato

I am not surprised...Hope that if an attack is launched, they can stop it before anyone is hurt.

If they really want to hurt Canadians they will attack the main Hortons coffee distributor and stop the coffee from getting to the chains. There would be a bunch of cranky, tired slow functioning Canadians that could barely get to work... the ecomomy would suffer and they wouldn't even have to spill a drop of blood...

If they really want to hurt Canadians they will attack the main Hortons coffee distributor and stop the coffee from getting to the chains. There would be a bunch of cranky, tired slow functioning Canadians that could barely get to work... the ecomomy would suffer and they wouldn't even have to spill a drop of blood...

The horror...the horror..

There would be a bunch of cranky, tired slow functioning Canadians that could barely get to work...

BUT, they'd also would be a bunch of p***ed of soldiers with a thirst for blood if that ever happened...

BUT, they'd also would be a bunch of p***ed of soldiers with a thirst for blood if that ever happened...

mmmm...good point...it could backfire...if the soldiers could wake up early enough to start the attack.

mmmm...good point...it could backfire...if the soldiers could wake up early enough to start the attack.

They wont need to wake up, they'll be up all night out of anger anyways.

dont think anyone really cares enough to attack canada, canada's just america's b**** anyway.

And you're mine, but that doesnt mean people dont still attack you.

dont think anyone really cares enough to attack canada, canada's just america's b**** anyway.

That was uncalled for PLO, lighten up.

I hope know one cares enough to attack us thats a good thing no?

America's b**** hehe funny I don't see us in Iraq. I see the U.S. giving Canada back 6 billion dollars. I see the U.S. is taking our beef. I see the U.S. kissing our ass in the next couple years for our oil and our water. haha who's the b**** now.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Next wisecrack gets a warning. Back on topic.

haha who's the b**** now.

In order to help you understand my point; please read the PM that I am sending you.

Edited by Fluffybunny

They would never do that.

........ Would they? :cry: What would I do without my Timmy's?!

Seriously though, they've been telling us that we're a target since shortly after 9/11. This isn't exactly new news.

Personally, I have a high reguard and respect towards Canada and it's people. If Al-Quida knows whats good for them (yeah right), they would leave Canada alone. PLO, making flaming comments and constanty trolling is why no one listens to you and you are perceived as a nutcase. Sorry, had to say that... back on topic.

You know what would happen if Al Qaida attacked Canada? A larger military force...

You know what would happen if Al Qaida attacked Canada? A larger military force...

Not that I'm advocating a terrorist attack, but it's about time that Canada DOES get a larger military force, whatever may trigger the growth.

I could be wrong, but figured you know... Isn't the military spending in Canada increasing lately? Not just because of Afgan but in general.

Not that I'm advocating a terrorist attack, but it's about time that Canada DOES get a larger military force, whatever may trigger the growth.

You really sure you want to kill 3,000+ Canadians just to trigger some military growth? :hmm:

Isn't the military spending in Canada increasing lately? Not just because of Afgan but in general.

Indeed it is. Funding wont necessarily boost recruitment though. Like in the US after 9/11, if Canada gets hit on a large scale, I expect a boost in recruitment.

You really sure you want to kill 3,000+ Canadians just to trigger some military growth? :hmm:

Not at all. I did say I was not advocating a terrorist attack. What I meant was, even though a terrorist attack would be (obviously) negative in the aspect of the casualties, it would also have a positive side in that it might prod the government into increasing the defense budget. A silver lining, so to speak.