Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream Interpretation & Sleep Paralysis

pallorprofile

Sleep paralysis is now considered an almost integral part of my life with my terrible sleeping habits and increased college workload; it has never really scared me because I always force myself out of it (though I'm prone to consecutive attacks in one night; I often fall back to sleep right away because I'm pretty lazy lmao). It's the recent episodes that start to... worry me, somewhat? I don't know if my concerns are valid, though. Just a heads-up, this got longer than I intended, haha.

Near the beginning of this year, I had the usual SP experience where I couldn't move and the surroundings were the same as I fell asleep to - things that happen during SP. But what made it different from the others was the presence of a short-haired woman in the room (I could feel that she had already passed away and was a mother herself, which makes my claim kinda doubtful since this was derived from my gut feelings and not concrete evidence, but I'm just dropping it here) - she held up my left wrist in her hand (I found her presence surprisingly soothing instead of the hallucinations that made me flinch away) and circled it round with her finger while saying something along the lines of: "You've a very thin red thread." Um, it's not speaking out loud, per say, but more of... it's like she's talking in my head, I guess. Then she continued on to caution me, advising me to "take good care of myself". I somehow instinctively knew the red thread she was referring to indicates my lifeline or my health line, I suppose. It was like this red thread that I can't see is in a precarious state and can snap anytime. Obviously, I couldn't speak (I was rather stunned, anyway) but I tried to sit up: I somehow knew that it was a wrong move, because I did it far too fast, and I could feel the upper half of my body detach from the physical one. I was afraid, and this woman immediately pushed me back - it was like an elastic coil, I suppose, where I snapped back, it was kinda a violent spring and shocked me awake.

Initially I pushed this aside, though the content made me worry at first. Like - am I going to die soon? Or contract some terminal disease? I'm pretty paranoid and think far too much. Either way, the woman didn't appear during SPs and dreams again, so I shoved it aside.

Yesterday's SP experience surfaced the aforementioned incident, though. Its intensity was by far, the highest I've ever experienced. I couldn't move, and there was a scratchy voice in my head - by my ear, I don't know - repeatedly shouting my name; I was so annoyed at first, all like screw off along with other expletives, but I couldn't point my middle finger and stuff so I settled for my usual way of forcing myself awake to snap me out of it. Things changed when I tried to, I guess. A roaring buzzing sound filled my entire being and it was like my inner self was being vibrated violently - like every single fiber of my body is vibrating in a speed so fast, so intrusive, that I felt like my consciousness was about to tear and be separated from my physical body. This happened numerous times before, but I always managed to sort of pull myself back and rein in control over my body to not be forced out of it (do I make sense??). This time, however, I couldn't - I struggled really hard to stay in my body and it was like the buzzing was far higher in intensity that was trying to repel me out, force me out, whatever it was. I was desperate, so I clung onto my mother who was sleeping next to me at that point, it worked the first time. The second time the vibrations occurred, it was harder, more violent, and I was so overwhelmed by the roaring buzz, like it was crashing down on my entire being - it was so damn overpowering and so loud. It was a struggle for me to fight against it, honestly I don't even know why I tried to. I could feel my upper body getting pulled away and strengthened my resolve to snap back, and snap back I did; violent, hard and it was like a huge burst of energy, like an elastic band snapping back. One time I opened my eyes while fighting against the vibrations and I could see this endless passage that stretched down from my room - it didn't look like my home anymore, and it was the very first time I had a SP coupled with body vibrations that didn't have the exact same surrounding I fell asleep in - I was suddenly terrified that I would be pulled into a void and squeezed my eyes shut harder and gripped my mum's arm tighter. I'm a scaredy cat, I know, lmao.

I woke up in the morning feeling so disorientated, like my mind was all over the place. I'm not exaggerating, but it's like my mind had been shredded or pulled apart in the struggle I had in my sleep, and it was still slowly piecing itself back together. (I think I'm starting to sound like a loony) I scrambled awake, and I was suddenly acutely aware of every noise and movement I could sense in the room, like I'm not back, back. Like this isn't the reality - am I still in my dream? My consciousness was muddled and weary, and I was mentally drained. I was afraid of irrational things - things I wasn't afraid of, like distorted faces appearing in mirrors, crawling entities and figures floating outside windows - and what was made worse was the fact that my entire family was still asleep, when they should be awake. It's a little similar to a Silent Hill parallel, now that I think about it lmao, where I'm in but not in, sort of. It took me a couple of hours to finally feel 'whole' again.

Am I close to a mental breakdown? Or is it something else? I hope I didn't sound like a lunatic.

Edited by pallorprofile

You fight against it? LOL, I try so hard to get to that vibration state. But then if you cant over come your fear, its probably better you don't project.

Haha, I've heard too many tales of people who aren't able to return so I fight against it; I've been told that people are always able to go back to their physical bodies, but I guess I'm a little too cowardly to try, haha.

Maybe you can try sleeping in a position facing the ceiling, it induces SP and I heard SP is a "short-cut" to AP, sort of (?).

The red line comment means more than you think. They speak in higher contexts and dimentions.

• Like 1

I don't miss sleep paralysis. I had it for many years. I never had visions. Some pretty creepy distortions of my surroundings but no vivid figures that weren't really there. Auditory hallucinations were an occasional thing and always intense. The sounds just come from everywhere, are loud and unsettling.

As for these "vibrations", I don't recall that as part of sleep paralysis. I've had that intense head ringing and and feeling like I'm about to take off at warp speed. Freaks me out and I wake up. I've had that several times and it always seems to happen shortly after I fall asleep or right after. I'm not convinced it's the start of an OBE but I can see why some might. It's a weird feeling.

I don't miss sleep paralysis. I had it for many years. I never had visions. Some pretty creepy distortions of my surroundings but no vivid figures that weren't really there. Auditory hallucinations were an occasional thing and always intense. The sounds just come from everywhere, are loud and unsettling.

As for these "vibrations", I don't recall that as part of sleep paralysis. I've had that intense head ringing and and feeling like I'm about to take off at warp speed. Freaks me out and I wake up. I've had that several times and it always seems to happen shortly after I fall asleep or right after. I'm not convinced it's the start of an OBE but I can see why some might. It's a weird feeling.

I can tell you for certain that it is. Especially vibratory feelings. Even if you don't believe OBEs are what they apear to be many of these sensations are indeed gateways to the experiences themselves.

I can tell you for certain that it is. Especially vibratory feelings. Even if you don't believe OBEs are what they apear to be many of these sensations are indeed gateways to the experiences themselves.

I'm open minded enough not to completely discount that. Heck, I've had some incredible dreams so vivid and realistic and fantastical that I couldn't put them in words and would ruin the story if I did. I've read about OBEs. I know you are supposed to realize them and just need to get past the crazy sensations at the start. Given all that, without the full experience I can't stand behind the idea 100%. I can't discount the idea either.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

I'm open minded enough not to completely discount that. Heck, I've had some incredible dreams so vivid and realistic and fantastical that I couldn't put them in words and would ruin the story if I did. I've read about OBEs. I know you are supposed to realize them and just need to get past the crazy sensations at the start. Given all that, without the full experience I can't stand behind the idea 100%. I can't discount the idea either.

Understandable. I would feel the same way. The first time it happened to me I was blown away. All I can say there is no doubt that the sensations exist. Many many people have exsperinced them.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Haha, I've heard too many tales of people who aren't able to return so I fight against it; I've been told that people are always able to go back to their physical bodies, but I guess I'm a little too cowardly to try, haha.

Maybe you can try sleeping in a position facing the ceiling, it induces SP and I heard SP is a "short-cut" to AP, sort of (?).

Cant get back? LOL I get sucked back far to quickly all the time now. Its frustrating lol

Yes SP is a short cut to AP. Ive only had it twice, and both times I got out. First time though I didn't know anything about any of this, and didn't realize till later that my AP at that time wasn't a dream.

Ive tried every position, a hundred different meditations, ect ect. It going slow but steady.

I gotta back up WC here. That's definitely a sign of the start of a OBE. No question about it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had sleep paralysis on n off occasionally since a kid but never bothered me till this week..four nights in a row now I've had it as u drift off to sleep I wake up n feel vibrations thru me sorts like pins n needles n a dark shadow above me like a cloudish thing either trying to take me tonight I had one so bad I thought I grabbedxmy sons hand next to me n it wtrying to pull it to wake him but the hand was strong n not letting go I had to fight hard to wake up....wtf is goib on I feel loony n scared ****less right now

My first experience from memory with sleep Paralysis was roughly six or so months ago. I have had the exact same experience a few times over since then, sometimes occurring every time I'm drifting to sleep in one night.

The first experience was actually also witnessed by my now ex partner.

It always happens as I am first drifting to sleep..

I am awoken by this crushing feeling on my chest down making it hard to breath, I think my eyes are open, it feels like they are and its like I'm being sucked into a black vortex from my neck.

I can't seem to wake from this feeling for a while, I don't recall seeing a 'demon' or some entity but I can feel it's presence sitting on my chest and sucking me up this vortex by my throat? Could have something to do with the throat chakra blockage: Problems with this chakra arise from issues with self-expression. For example, lying, gossiping and the inability to express negative feelings or thoughts, opinions and emotional needs.

The scariest thing is this entity sometimes, not all the time, speaks to me. I can't quite recall exactly what it says, but it's telling me I'm a piece of s**t or someone/others are.

It was frightening at first, my at the time partner was there when it first happened. I awoke from my paralysis expecting to gasp for breath but I am normal except for the fact I was frightened to beyond the point of explanation. They say one does not know true fear until they experience sleep paralysis.

I just remember telling him how scared I was and him repeating how it's okay, it's okay, nothing's there.

Now days when it happens to me, I was so sort of used to it that during the time, I am scared but 100% aware of the fact it is a dream like state and I fight so hard to get out of this state then I just put my head under the covers and go back to sleep.

But two days ago I found an article represented by a picture with which I realised this isn't a dream and I am not the only one. The picture was so similar to my experience that I went into shock and shed a few tears. I am only now looking into Sleep Paralysis and Chakra's and that's where I realised I am in need of a spiritual healing session.

Now back to the Chakra's. The Throat Chakra, as mentioned above, problems with the Chakra can arise from inability to express negative feelings or thought. I write this while holding back tears because half way through writing this reply I decided to Google the symbolism of the throat Chakra. In December 2013 I actually found out at 20 years of age that my father was in fact not my biological father. I had my cry that day but suppressed my feelings and carried on with life the way I was before telling everyone I was fine and not actually being able to speak about it unless it was in the form of a joke.

I feel like I am not worthy of sympathy or I don't like the attention on me explaining the symbolism of the entity pulling me by my throat and telling me I am a piece of s**t.

Anyway, any advice on this would be much appreciated and I felt the need to share my story because had my friend not made me come to the realisation that sleep paralysis is more then just a reoccurring dream, I would not have had the motivation to seek help and hopefully heal not only my dreams but my ability to come to terms with the fact I AM worthy of comfort and sympathy and a proper nights sleep !