Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zeus Devotees Worship in Athens

Spurious George

Zeus devotees worship in Athens

Worshippers who believe in the 12 gods of ancient Greece have held a ceremony at the Temple of Zeus in Athens. This is a landmark event to celebrate official recognition of their religion by a court last year.

The Greek Orthodox Church has said they are miserable resuscitators of a degenerate dead religion.

But the ceremony went ahead, with crowds watching priests and priestesses, who said the event was a symbol of their civic rights. In 2003, white-clad worshippers performed an illicit ceremony at the Temple of Hephaestus, just below the Acropolis. At that time they were chased off the site by ministry of culture staff.

Despite vigorous opposition from the highly conservative Greek Orthodox Church, a court last year officially recognised the revived ancient Greek religion.

One of its leaders, Doretta Peppa, a writer who calls herself a high priestess, told the BBC the temples were built to respect the gods and now they were going to be put to their proper use.

Ms Peppa said she had been given official permission to use the temple, but there were fears that the culture ministry, which administers the site, might give way to pressure from the church.

The president of the Association of Greek Clergymen, Father Efstathios Kollas, has described the followers of the Olympic gods as a handful of miserable resuscitators of a degenerate dead religion who wish to return to the monstrous dark delusions of the past.

Ms Peppa and her followers aspire to have the rights afforded to Britain's druids who worship at Stonehenge, and Danish believers in Thor and the Nordic gods who are allowed to perform marriages, baptisms and funerals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6283907.stm

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dlv

• SilverCougar

• Grandpa Greenman

• Spurious George

The Greek Orthodox Church has said they are miserable resuscitators of a degenerate dead religion.

Count me in :tu:

Great I am glad the courts back the Pagans up. The Abrahamic religions need to wake up realize the old religions are alive and well and being practiced. We have as much right to worship as they do.

Edited by Darkwind

Great I am glad the courts back the Pagans up. The Abrahamic religions need to wake up realize the old religions are alive and well and being practiced. We have as much right to worship as they do.

Be careful because they might come and do that little old testament and Koran thing where they chop off your head. Or how about a little Roman Catholic inquisition. Nothing a pagan enjoys more than having hot molten lead poured in their ears because they would not hear the truth. Even though many christians can be intolerant they are reformed to a degree, but make no mistake a hardcore muslime will think nothing off lopping your head off and mine given a chance, just ask Daniel Pearl. OOps, I am sorry as he is headless.

Be careful because they might come and do that little old testament and Koran thing where they chop off your head. Or how about a little Roman Catholic inquisition. Nothing a pagan enjoys more than having hot molten lead poured in their ears because they would not hear the truth. Even though many christians can be intolerant they are reformed to a degree, but make no mistake a hardcore muslime will think nothing off lopping your head off and mine given a chance, just ask Daniel Pearl. OOps, I am sorry as he is headless.

Why do you think Pagans use swords and knives in ritual. It harkens back to the days when you might have to defend yourself. I won't go down with out a fight. :ph34r:

I applaud the strength and courage of the the worshippers.

If it isn't just a promotional stunt, and they are true sons and daughters of Zeus.

And then the courts will lay down a nice B-Slap and possibly a needle in the arm of the person who'd do such a thing.

I'm with JM and Dark here... (naturaly) It's very good to see more and more of the old world faiths and pantheon worship grow and reclaim the old places of worship. Much better use then a tourist attraction. >.>

We need strength to overcome the opression that the polytheistic, pantheonic, and spiritual old world faiths have had for centuries and be heard again.

And then the courts will lay down a nice B-Slap and possibly a needle in the arm of the person who'd do such a thing.

I'm with JM and Dark here... (naturaly) It's very good to see more and more of the old world faiths and pantheon worship grow and reclaim the old places of worship. Much better use then a tourist attraction. >.>

We need strength to overcome the opression that the polytheistic, pantheonic, and spiritual old world faiths have had for centuries and be heard again.

Sure in America, but not so in other countries. The Brits and French are just seeing the beginning of how much fun religous extremist can be. The Muslims in particular who claim to be kindred to Jews and Christians are killing them not just in the mid east but Africa and Indonesia. What kind of treatment do you think a Pagan would get? One's belief system is their right. Sure, here in America a Christian extremist may be convinced that you or I are going to hell if we do not believe their way. But that is about as fun as it gets. I have my beliefs and I saw an Indian ritual last summer in New Mexico. I thought how great it was that they held on to their ways and practices. But I doubt it will grow and expand, as I doubt the old world faiths will and I think it is because they do not seem to have a desire for recruitment like other religions.

Why do you think Pagans use swords and knives in ritual. It harkens back to the days when you might have to defend yourself. I won't go down with out a fight. :ph34r:

I agree about self defense, if and when it boils down to that. DEFEND God's/Goddess' temple at all cost. It is one's duty to one's God/Goddess and one's self since it is a sacred vessel, after all.

Edited by dlv

nope, you are wrong dlv.

The weapons should only be used to defend the people themselves.

If someone defames or profanes a gods temple, well then, the god in question should be able to defend it him/herself, no?

nope, you are wrong dlv.

The weapons should only be used to defend the people themselves.

If someone defames or profanes a gods temple, well then, the god in question should be able to defend it him/herself, no?

I am talking about the flesh temple. A human being is the temple of the spirit...

Sure in America, but not so in other countries. The Brits and French are just seeing the beginning of how much fun religous extremist can be. The Muslims in particular who claim to be kindred to Jews and Christians are killing them not just in the mid east but Africa and Indonesia. What kind of treatment do you think a Pagan would get? One's belief system is their right. Sure, here in America a Christian extremist may be convinced that you or I are going to hell if we do not believe their way. But that is about as fun as it gets. I have my beliefs and I saw an Indian ritual last summer in New Mexico. I thought how great it was that they held on to their ways and practices. But I doubt it will grow and expand, as I doubt the old world faiths will and I think it is because they do not seem to have a desire for recruitment like other religions.

The French and Brits are also used to their old world pagans comming out and wanting to reclaim their old temples for their gods and goddesses. As for places with fanatical islam.. well.. that is the different story. But most of them leave the tribal people alone.

And you might not see it catching on, but it is. In more and more places old pantheonic, polytheistic, and spiritual ways are comming back to life and claiming what's theirs. It might seem like "Oh a quaint little native ceromony" But it has deep meaning. And when you add that with the Druidic reclaim, and now the Greek pantheon reclaim, and the few tribes here that are performing more and more of their old way ceromonies.. it amounts to eventually "paganism" will become one of the accepted and mojor faiths again.

The French and Brits are also used to their old world pagans comming out and wanting to reclaim their old temples for their gods and goddesses.

And you might not see it catching on, but it is. In more and more places old pantheonic, polytheistic, and spiritual ways are comming back to life and claiming what's theirs. It might seem like "Oh a quaint little native ceromony" But it has deep meaning. And when you add that with the Druidic reclaim, and now the Greek pantheon reclaim, and the few tribes here that are performing more and more of their old way ceromonies.. it amounts to eventually "paganism" will become one of the accepted and mojor faiths again.

I've always believed that one should follow one's tribal rituals. Perhaps these people would not have been cursed (and suffered for a long time through ridicule and so on) if they had only followed their 'old ways' 'til the end. The Universe didn't abandon the ancient tribes, many abandoned the Universe, Goddess, ancestors, and so on. Now is the best time to go back completely, if one chooses.

Edited by dlv

Yes well.. unfortunatly things like.. sacrificing your enemies to your gods is pasay*sp* now. X)

Yes well.. unfortunatly things like.. sacrificing your enemies to your gods is pasay*sp* now. X)

I believe that sacrificing humans was more of a political act to basically empower one's tribe, to get them hyped up to conquer and so on -- not a supernatural thing. Definitely, it is another misunderstood act.

Possibly... but it was still done in the name of verious gods. Name in.. for.. and anything else you can think of.

Point is.. While it may be fun to sacrifice your enemies in the name of your god.. it makes the Law flustered and Stern. So... it's just not done anymore. *snickers*

Which, in all seriousness now, is a good thing. I'd like to think we've grown past the need for bloodshed for the name of the verious gods and goddess out there. It's a time for peace.. not bloodshed.

It's a time for peace.. not bloodshed.

One could never get enough of peace, especially nowadays. But, there are too many power hungry people in the world, and they know how to manipulate the masses by appealing to their vanity.

We are growing and expanding we don't need to search for converts they come to us.

Growth Rates Comparison of Selected Religions in the United States

Estimated number of adherents after first 40 years Estimated Annual Growth Rate

Paganism

Druidry 33,000 28.1%

Wicca 134,000 29.2%

Pagan 144,000 29.2%

New Age 68,000 11.77%

Mormonism 110,000 20.56%

Jehovah’s Witness 1,384,782 8.95%

Table 1: Growth Rates Comparison of Selected Religions in the United States

http://tiunet.tiu.edu/faculty/mcooper/coop...The%20Druid.doc