Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman named Isis has FB account disabled

Still Waters

Facebook is joining the fight against terrorism - one woman named Isis at a time.

Isis Anchalee, an engineer based in San Francisco, complained on Twitter on Tuesday afternoon that her Facebook account had been disabled, and suggested it was because of her name.

"Why would you disable my personal account? MY REAL NAME IS ISIS ANCHALEE /facepalm," she tweeted at Facebook.

http://www.theguardi...ccount-disabled

• Like 2

I think I saw on Monday an article revealing what ISIS is called in the Middle East. Something like Daesh. I think the Western World needs to start using that name so that women who are named Isis aren't unfairly targeted like this.

• Like 5

I call them DAESH for a while now. Mostly because I do not want to give them any satisfaction in calling them "Islamic".

• Like 6

She's lucky it was just facebook... not something actually important...

Just imagine it would have been twitter! OMG! panic.gif

• Like 5

I know a girl named Isis. Her mom named her after the ancient Egyptian goddess Isis. Her name has nothing to do with the extremist group and her mom picked her name long before the group emerge.

• Like 4

The DAESH have blasphemed the name of the Goddess for too long!

How do you pronounce DAESH and what does it mean? I know I sound dumb, but I am an American, so I am limited by information provided by our media.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 5

I know a girl named Isis. Her mom named her after the ancient Egyptian goddess Isis. Her name has nothing to do with the extremist group and her mom picked her name long before the group emerge.

Any sensible person would recognize that right off, but most people in my country aren't sensible when it comes to this kind of stuff.

• Like 2

How do you pronounce DAESH and what does it mean? I know I sound dumb, but I am an American, so I am limited by information provided by our media.

Dah-esh

What it means is a little complicated. I found this link quite helpful.

Edited by FLOMBIE

I actually heard it on the radio this morning. I think or yesterday evening as I drove home from work. I listen to NPR because I don't like the stupidity of these radio DJs.

There is also a pagan organization known as the Fellowship of Isis (FOI) who must find this very inconvenient.

https://en.wikipedia...lowship_of_Isis

I think people should refer to ''ISIL'' for Levant instead of Syria. Few politicians actually use that name though, except Obama.

Edited by Sam.

I call them DAESH for a while now. Mostly because I do not want to give them any satisfaction in calling them "Islamic".

I don't want to give them the satisfaction of calling them anything they want to be called therefore I call them "those tw ats".

• Like 2

I don't want to give them the satisfaction of calling them anything they want to be called therefore I call them "those tw ats".

Daesh or Da'esh is a derogative name that apparently does give them satisfaction:

Thanks to Arabic wordplay, it could also be an insult. “Depending on how it is conjugated in Arabic, it can mean anything from ‘to trample down and crush’ to ‘a bigot who imposes his view on others,'" Boston Globe writer Zeba Khan reported in October 2014. ISIS threatened “to cut the tongue of anyone who publicly used the acronym Daesh, instead of referring to the group by its full name,” the Associated Press wrote in September 2014.

http://www.ibtimes.c...ference-2187131

Edited by Sam.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's a rough time for kids named Isis right now, coke won't do custom bottls for them either.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...