Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#166    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,407 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

now I know and knowing is half the battle

lol

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#167    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Am I right in saying nobody knew this was coming.

Yes and you are also right in that missed Miami by a few seconds. But it appears it was smaller then the earlier one. But crap Cuba aint gonna say if there whole damn Island is sinking.

#168    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,407 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

who really knows what really happened?   ... Like some have said, " It lit the sky."

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#169    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

liek zomg zaliens

#170    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,051 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

Even though the authorities are telling us the two events are separate, I know that often asteroids have a collection of junk around them (comes from their bumping into each other over the billions of years) that slowly drifts away but remains in loose orbit around the main object.

This seems to me far more likely than pure coincidence.

#171    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,140 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

View Postacidhead, on 16 February 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

who really knows what really happened?   ... Like some have said, " It lit the sky."

It took 18 sec after it passed for the sound wave to hit. Superman was faster an no one hurt

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#172    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,415 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 February 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Even though the authorities are telling us the two events are separate, I know that often asteroids have a collection of junk around them (comes from their bumping into each other over the billions of years) that slowly drifts away but remains in loose orbit around the main object.

Yeah, this sounds likely imo..
The Big rock (Da14) was 12 hours after the russian event, give or take.. I don't know the science in it, but the only thing I can think of that might spoil this theory is that Da14 is to small hold any substantial gravity, so it's probably unlikely..

#173    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

I know we had a very small meteor in Oregon at the same time as the Russian event. Apparently that was a swarm with smaller ones traveling along. It was at the same time moving North to South same as the Russian one. I blame the Mayans.

http://www.kezi.com/...ites-in-eugene/

#174    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,209 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 16 February 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

I know we had a very small meteor in Oregon at the same time as the Russian event. Apparently that was a swarm with smaller ones traveling along. It was at the same time moving North to South same as the Russian one. I blame the Mayans.

that link wont open for me, keeps timing out, have you another source pls?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#175    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Its just a local news article. It was a non event as far a meteorites go. Only real info was the time matched the Russian entry and both were traveling North - South...Ill try and relink. It was just a local story.

#176    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Lots of damage and injuries,... still, next time (because there will be a next one) maybe we wont be so "lucky".

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#177    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,933 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 February 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

But the Russia meteor came in at an estimated trajectory that was almost 90 degrees to the trajectory of 2012 DA14 and came towards the earth from the opposite side that 2012 DA14 passed over.

No way that could be an associated object with such a small asteroid (50m) which would have a tiny gravitational force so couldn't have been dragging around an object well over 17,000 miles away and which couldn't have been moving at almost a right angle to it anyway.

Posted Image

Edited by Archimedes, 16 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#178    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,051 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

It takes very little in space to keep two objects moving together, and the issue would be momentum, not gravity.  As the objects approached the Earth, its gravity would greatly alter the motion of the one coming closest, so it is hard to draw any conclusions from the angles of approach.

Its just that we go for such long periods without anything that dramatic, and then we have them so close to each other.  Coincidence seems a stretch.  That they were traveling on roughly parallel paths, gradually drifting apart seems so much more likely.  I don't know if the computers are powerful enough to trace back how they were moving before they approached the earth.  These computations are fiendish.

#179    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Jim Oberg posted this over at the ET/UFO section earlier,...

Here's the link to my CNBC hit this afternoon.
http://www.cnbc.com/...00148418&play=1

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#180    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Somehow this all reminds me on Carl Sagan and his thoughts. Quote:

"Earth is lovely place. Things changed but slowly. You can lead a full life and never encounter a natural catastrophe more violent then a storm. We become relaxed, unconcerned.  But history of solar system and even in human history there are clear records of extraordinary and devastating catastrophes."

Edit: Just look our moon. Its chronicle. Museum of ancient impacts.

Edited by the L, 16 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users